McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

I understand the argument against the value of a running back in the 1st round -- really, I do.

But the amount of anger and disappointment that many Bills fans will feel about adding a player who averaged 7.2 yards per carry (!), 11.3 yards per catch (!), and scored 78 TDs in college to a team whose leading rusher in the playoffs was its QUARTERBACK and whose RBs are a couple of JAGs ....is kind of astounding.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I understand the argument against the value of a running back in the 1st round -- really, I do.

But the amount of anger and disappointment that many Bills fans will feel about adding a player who averaged 7.2 yards per carry (!), 11.3 yards per catch (!), and scored 78 TDs in college to a team whose leading rusher in the playoffs was its QUARTERBACK....is astounding.

Thats why its a good smokescreen.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/todd-mcshay-bills-trying-to-trade-up-for-travis-etienne-in-round-1-of-2021-nfl-draft.html

“I’m for taking the best player,” Beane told Schein. “And there are running backs in this league now currently in the NFL... I’ve talked about it in another interview. Christian McCaffrey, if he were in this draft--that was my last draft in Carolina--I would take him in the first round. I’d take Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook. There are guys that are multi-dimensional. They’re not just first and second down bruiser backs, but they can bring a lot to your offense. Christian McCaffrey, Kamara, those guys can go line up and play slot receiver for you in this league. They’re that good. This is a passing league. A homerun hitter or a vertical threat. We don’t have a guy that has that dimension so that’s another element. You have to look at that. Those are first round talents.”

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Thats why its a good smokescreen.

Any time a journalist or media personality provides draft intel that aligns with one's preferences, it's legitimate.

Any time a journalist or media personality provides draft intel that DOES NOT align with one's preferences, it's a smokescreen.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Logic

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Any time a journalist or media personality provides draft intel that aligns with one's preferences, it's legitimate.

Any time a journalist or media personality provides draft intel that DOES NOT align with one's preferences, it's a smokescreen.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

No not necessarily. Or maybe you are just speaking for yourself.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not disputing that Etienne (or Harris) are good players, but neither seems that good to me that they should trade up for them.

I appreciate that a really dynamic RB could meet DL in the backfield faster than Singletary or Moss, but I’m not sure that either Etienne or Harris are the missing piece to unlock another 3 points/game on offense.  To be clear, I agree that both are a bit better prospect - especially in receiving game - than the Bills’ current crew, but I don’t think either are true game changers.

Now, at 30 if no DE or CB on their board is worth the pick, then by all means stack the RBs up against WRs, OL, LBs and any other positions.

I was looking at Etienne upfront when I first started looking at the draft. Once we got through FA and looked at player rankings, holes on the team, some tape I came back to CB and edge being bigger needs...

Right now, at this exact moment, all I can think of is Singletary dropping that wide open pass...

• Like (+1) 1

I personally would want Elijah Moore over Etienne.  But I would love either.  I can see Etienne as a Kamara comp, so moving up to get a player like that isn't a shock for me.

Beane has been pretty tight lipped over the years, so it's a surprise that something like this would get out.  Could be a smoke screen.  Could be true.  But whatever Beane decides he has earned the trust of the fans to do what he thinks is right. 

But gotta say if Asante Samuels Jr. is there, no way they don't pick him. 

Edited by dezertbill
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Cole Beasley is a great number 2 weapon, but he was hurt at the end of the season and it cost the Bills against the Chiefs.

And they held and mugged our wrs, our rbs were not enough of a threat to change the defensive strategy against, Etienne does change that (he can catch as well as run)

T'is the season of the witch...or Warlock in this case. Either way, I trust Beane. If it's ETN, who I thought possible for months now, I'm all game. Potent offense, and trust McD to do just enough on defense, and let's outscore everyone en route to hoisting one for Buffalo. If it's smoke, breathe it in Mafia.

7 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

I personally would want Elijah Moore over Etienne.  But I would love either.  I can see Etienne as a Kamara comp, so moving up to get a player like that isn't a shock for me.

Beane has been pretty tight lipped over the years, so it's a surprise that something like this would get out.  Could be a smoke screen.  Could be true.  But whatever Beane decides he has earned the trust of the fans to do what he thinks is right. 

But gotta say if Asante Samuels Jr. is there, no way they don't pick him. 

I'd gladly take Moore but I don't want to trade up and I think he'll end up going in the late teens or early 20s.

35 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Can't get angry about something that hasn't happened, can' be angry when McBeane clearly know more than I do and I trust them.

Also, could be they've zeroed in on the next Alvin Kamara. Is anyone questioning that first round pick?

I’m not nitpicking here, and I agree with your basic premise, but Kamara was a 3rd Round pick. 

Edited by BigBuff423

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

You can keep replacing rbs or you could build a line that can actually move people.

A beast of a guard could do more for the running game than a better running back imo.

Absolutely, that’s why I can’t see Beane going for Etienne. They just drafted running backs two years in a row, using decent picks to do so. The running back position isn’t where I’d be spending that many resources over the course of three years.