McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

30 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Etienne would be a strange pick, because it means Beane admitting he failed on two running back selections. I understand the need for a dynamic playmaker, but they could have went for speed, instead they went with Moss and Singletary. 

Not at all. You don't draft a RB in the rd thinking he's gonna be pro-bowl back - you do it because you think that RB is gonna be a good complement to the game plan, rather than a focal point.

Moss and Singletary - with better blocking - would have perfectly fulfilled that role.

You draft a RB in the 1st round because you view that guy as someone who's going to be one of your top 2 weapons to use in your game plan.

That's why drafting ETN is legit. The Bills, for all their fireworks, don't have a great #2 weapon right now. Emmanuel Sanders is a risk because of age, while Gabe Davis is a risk because you're not sure what you'll get with him in year 2, while neither RB - as noted above - is there to be a real weapon.

I'm not sure about trading up to get a RB as a position in general, but I do agree with trading up to grab a legit weapon. Whether that be ETN (because of his ability to change the game as a pass catcher) or that kid from Florida or perhaps even Rashod Bateman.

You could also see a corner if you see Farley or Newsom sitting there. Not gonna trade up for these edge defenders

6 minutes ago, appoo said:

Not at all. You don't draft a RB in the rd thinking he's gonna be pro-bowl back - you do it because you think that RB is gonna be a good complement to the game plan, rather than a focal point.

Moss and Singletary - with better blocking - would have perfectly fulfilled that role.

You draft a RB in the 1st round because you view that guy as someone who's going to be one of your top 2 weapons to use in your game plan.

That's why drafting ETN is legit. The Bills, for all their fireworks, don't have a great #2 weapon right now. Emmanuel Sanders is a risk because of age, while Gabe Davis is a risk because you're not sure what you'll get with him in year 2, while neither RB - as noted above - is there to be a real weapon.

I'm not sure about trading up to get a RB as a position in general, but I do agree with trading up to grab a legit weapon. Whether that be ETN (because of his ability to change the game as a pass catcher) or that kid from Florida or perhaps even Rashod Bateman.

You could also see a corner if you see Farley or Newsom sitting there. Not gonna trade up for these edge defenders

Cole Beasley is a great number 2 weapon, but he was hurt at the end of the season and it cost the Bills against the Chiefs.

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Todds, Ranked:

1. Todd the neighbor from Christmas Vacation

2. Willis (Todd Bridges)

3. Todd packer from The Office

4. Todd Chrisley (Chrisley knows Best)

5. Todd the son from Wedding Crashers 

Don’t forget the GOAT, James Todd Smith aka LLCoolJ

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Horrible move, trading up for an RB.  If you really want an RB, you wait for them to drop to you at 30, then pick Harris or Etienne, whichever is left, or whichever you want more. 

I completely understand this sentiment. But... IF OBD thinks we need a game-breaking talent, and IF we are talking about a rare RB who can do it all, then have some trust. 

Imagine if we had a Tyrek Hill type player on this offense?

54 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Didn't Beane say in his presser our top pick could be for the future? I smell BS Todd!

In all fairness,  he used the word could,  not will.

They need to get rid of Singletary imo.  Absolutely do NOT trade for a RB though.   That would be dumb AF

15 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I’ll also say this: Beane clearly indicated the run game was an issue, and then he signed back three starters on the Offensive Line. IMHO, that signals that Beane’s opinion is that it wasn’t entirely the Offensive Line that failed to create opportunities for the run game. So maybe, the RBs are more of an issue than we - as fans - thought they were. 

Again, the five guys they expect to start this year on the OL played not one single snap together last year. There really is a very legit reason to blame things mostly on the OL and yet to re-sign the guys they re-signed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Cole Beasley is a great number 2 weapon, but he was hurt at the end of the season and it cost the Bills against the Chiefs.

When I think of game-planning, I think of the slot WR as a position to free up your weapons, or take advantage of when your weapons are getting over defended.

The way I'd go about is:

Given:

• A slot WR who hurts defenses when given space
  • RBs who are good enough when defenses don't lock into the run

#1 - Diggs

#2 - TE or X WR

#3 - Slot/RB

I think Beasley gets so much work because the Bills don't have that viable #2 weapon, and because Diggs is so good he can open up space for Cole to exploit.

I think if the Bills could fill that #2 slot with a legit 1st round weapon, it makes the offense a whole lot better. Whether that's because Safeties and backers have to a step more towards/into the box because they fear ETN could get loose into the 2nd level even against 7-8 man fronts, or it's because the opposing coverage can't safely slant coverage towards Diggs without fear of getting burnt on the weakside...that's what you're looking for.

Creating space and potential for your #1 weapon, with a real #2 weapon.

• Agree 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Again, the five guys they expect to start this year on the OL played not one single snap together last year. There really is a very legit reason to blame things mostly on the OL and yet to re-sign the guys they re-signed.

Ike Boettger is a lot of things, but good Run Blocker ain't one of them and neither is Mitch Morse really.  Getting a healty, and more experienced Cody Ford at RG is pretty big

• Like (+1) 1

Could be ETN. Could be Landon Dickerson. Could be on of the CBs. I’m sure Beane has called around and checked on who might be willing to trade and for what value. Given the track record he may very well trade up for certain guys. In any case, I’ll reserve judgement until the rookie plays. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I fully believe that Beane is calling around trying to see what it would take to move up in the draft and take "their guy if he's there"

That's due diligence

Not so sure I believe the player they want has been correctly identified

No one knew Allen or any other pick of ours; they are air tight there..

Now has a team told someone we called, it's possible, but would they know who we want? Not a chance in hell. It feels like somewhere along the chain someone attached Etienne's name

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I just went back and watched some Etienne highlights again. And dang it, if he doesnt look like exactly the type of player Beane would get excited over. I dont know now.... Beane's smokescreens are working!

For reference, lots of catches for big chunks of yards. Tell me these receptions wouldnt fit right in here...

(bonus, no obnoxious soundtrack)

Hahaha.  Was thinking the same thing.  He’s also just the kind of guy that I’d love to add to this offense. Maybe we could score every time we got the ball?  No need for defense 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, folz said:

Yeah, with how tight a ship our front office is these days, my gut says this is a smokescreen and makes me think Etienne is probably not the player they're interested in. 

Agree...and I hope that other player is Jaelan Phillips. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

If anyone is really certain that Beane won't draft a RB in round 1 and wants to make some "easy money"...

Awesome. I’m putting a buck down on long snapper.