Call your shot: Who will the Bills pick in the 1st round?

Logic

12 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Phillips, Barmore, or Tryon... IMO those are the 3 DL with most upside.  I think we’ll be able to find an upgrade at CB2 in round 2.  

Tryon is an interesting player. A lot of room for growth...could very well happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Tryon is an interesting player. A lot of room for growth...could very well happen.

Phillips and Tryon were both born to be edge rushers.  Both have crazy natural ability.  I think Rousseau will be good eventually but would be kind of similar to the Epenesa pick.  I wouldn’t hate it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Phillips and Tryon were both born to be edge rushers.  Both have crazy natural ability.  I think Rousseau will be good eventually but would be kind of similar to the Epenesa pick.  I wouldn’t hate it. 

I would take either one, though I worry about Phillips and his injury history. Both have yet to hit ceiling...we see this in players quite often. Can’t always base players on the talking heads.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:41 PM, Logic said:

So....You've gone through Brandon Beane's presser with a fine-tooth comb. You've debated and argued the comparative merits of pass rushers, corners, and running backs with everyone on The Stadium Wall. You've scoured Youtube highlight videos and analyst's big boards. You've done 50+ mock drafts on the Draft Network's simulator. Your thinking cap is worn out and you're ready for draft night to just GET HERE already!

I want to know, fellow Bills lunatics: Who do YOU think the Bills will select with their first round pick? Not who you WANT them to take, but who you think they WILL take. Not a list of five different players, not an "if, then" scenario, just a simple answer: Which player will the Bills take in round one? Let's see who among us is Carnac the Magnificent.

I'll start.

I believe that with the 30th pick in the draft, the Bills will select Joe Tryon, EDGE, Washington.

I know, I know: You've probably seen him listed as more of an early to mid second round pick. I don't buy it. He has prototypical size and athleticism. He had college productivity (8 sacks and 12.5 TFLs in 2019). He has burst. He has a high motor and solid football character. He posted an elite RAS. We know Beane and his staff like toolsy prospects.

Value wise? Dane Brugler has him ranked 32nd and Daniel Jeremiah has him ranked 35th on their respective big boards. Benjamin Allbright stated recently that not enough draftniks are talking abut Tryon, and that he will get drafted higher than people think.

When Brandon Beane talked about drafting for the future and getting someone who may not start this year, but can learn from players that might be on the last year of their deals and then can take over next year, I immediately thought of Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison. BOTH will be free agents after 2021, and the Bills simply cannot keep kicking the Edge rusher can down the road. They have Epenesa, sure, but they need another guy there with some juice and star potential. Tryon will learn under two great veteran rushers this season and, if all goes well, he and Epenesa will take over as the top two guys in 2022.

Whereas I believe the Bills can find a starting caliber corner in round two (and IOL/IDL/WR help later on), I do not believe they can find an edge with much promise much beyond round one. 

So that's my take, TBD. How about you? Who do YOU think the Bills will draft on Thursday night?

Trade back to second pick up extra third and they take Rondell Moore 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My "unexpected" pick that Beane surprises us with: Greg Rousseau

Hasn't been talked a lot around here. Probably would be the top DE pick if he hadnt sat out and had another season like 2019.

I like Rousseau a lot more than Oweh. I’d be ok with Rousseau. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When factoring everything into play, I strongly believe our biggest needs are Edge Rusher and Cornerback.

Pretty sure that Brandon Beane sees the same thing, and knows we need upgrades at both positions to take our next step towards a Super Bowl.

Running back is definitely a position that could be upgraded.  But I have a tough time believing he would pull the trigger in the 1st Round, after suggesting the backs weren't the sole reason for our struggles last year.  Maybe I'm just missing the signs, but RB just doesn't make sense to me at #30.

I also think a trade-down will be tough to do.  You need a partner, and I just can't see teams itching to move up into the Bills slot.

Looking at this draft class, the second round should be pretty strong at Cornerback.  There probably won't be much difference between who is available at #30 and who could be available at #61.  The same cannot be said for Edge, where I think a big drop-off will happen around picks 40-45.  Simply put, if we don't pick a Defensive End in the first round, then we probably come up empty.

Kwity Paye will be gone by #30.  Beane doesn't seem to like medical red flags, which probably rules out Jaelen Phillips.  Azeez Ojulari seems like a better fit for 3-4 schemes.  Gregory Rousseau is just a weird prospect (tall and skinny, but got all production rushing inside).  

My gut-guess is Jayson Oweh, DE from Penn State.  

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU.  Can play big nickel/3rd safety role and takeover one of the safety spots when contracts run out.  

Not what I’m hoping happens, but thinking outside the box.  I like the player though so I’d be cool with it.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, John from Riverside said:

Quitty Paye or Caleb Farley

If we had the chance to draft Paye at 30 I'd be thrilled (but if you want to be seen as knowing something about a guy, spell his name correctly it's Kwitty, K?)

Using a 1st round pick on a CB forecast to need more surgery would be Bad

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

At 30, my preferences are....

1. JOK

2. Kwity Paye

3. Joe Tryon

4. ETN

5. Kadarius Toney

If either of the first two is there I'd be thrilled

Realistically speaking, given I think the 1st Round Graded DE/CB’s will be off the board when we draft... Etienne or a WR are my preference if we stay at 30.  

Get Allen a weapon in the 1st and then dedicate the rest of the Draft to the Defense if they want.  

• Agree 1