Call your shot: Who will the Bills pick in the 1st round?

Logic

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My "unexpected" pick that Beane surprises us with: Greg Rousseau

Hasn't been talked a lot around here. Probably would be the top DE pick if he hadnt sat out and had another season like 2019.

I'd love that, but I doubt he'll be there at 30.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd love that, but I doubt he'll be there at 30.

I hope Beane doesn't get caught up in the moment and play hole-patcher.    The draft is an ongoing process of team building.........if you have a QB it shouldn't matter THAT much what your immediate needs are.........the focus should be longer term.     Rousseau is not without risk,  but he's a physical specimen,   has had big time production and isn't full of injury red flags.    Same with Liam Eichenberg and Terrace Marshall.    I don't think any of these guys are even compromises over the shiny but unproductive or high injury risk types that are going to be flying off the board earlier than normal in a mediocre draft class.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I hope Beane doesn't get caught up in the moment and play hole-patcher.    The draft is an ongoing process of team building.........if you have a QB it shouldn't matter THAT much what your immediate needs are.........the focus should be longer term.     Rousseau is not without risk,  but he's a physical specimen,   has had big time production and isn't full of injury red flags.    Same with Liam Eichenberg and Terrace Marshall.    I don't think any of these guys are even compromises over the shiny but unproductive or high injury risk types that are going to be flying off the board earlier than normal in a mediocre draft class.

At the end of the day, my sense is that McDermott wants no part of people who opted out. Maybe I'm reading too much into his "cultural mindset" (broadly conceived, if you know what I mean), but that's my sense. I could well be wrong. 

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

At the end of the day, my sense is that McDermott wants no part of people who opted out. Maybe I'm reading too much into his "cultural mindset" (broadly conceived, if you know what I mean), but that's my sense. I could well be wrong. 

I think you’re wrong, the family bond plays a big part in SMs life, and he has a strong conviction in supporting that bond, most guys opted out to protect that very thing, just like Star did. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think you’re wrong, the family bond plays a big part in SMs life, and he has a strong conviction in supporting that bond, most guys opted out to protect that very thing, just like Star did. 

I could be wrong. I also suspect that they weren't particularly thrilled with Star last season. But I'm guessing here. I just don't think they want guys who think there's a bigger world out there than football and the team culture that goes with it.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I could be wrong. I also suspect that they weren't particularly thrilled with Star last season. But I'm guessing here. I just don't think they want guys who think there's a bigger world out there than football and the team culture that goes with it.

I agree with you. McDermott is an old school football guy. There are kids who opted out for “Covid” reasons and kids who opted out because they had a convenient excuse to do so. There are far more of the latter and I do not think that meshes with how McDermott is wired. One Gm this week, can’t recall who, mentioned that it would be very hard for someone to just not play football by choice. This is the type of player that McDermott typically does not want. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with you. McDermott is an old school football guy. There are kids who opted out for “Covid” reasons and kids who opted out because they had a convenient excuse to do so. There are far more of the latter and I do not think that meshes with how McDermott is wired. One Gm this week, can’t recall who, mentioned that it would be very hard for someone to just not play football by choice. This is the type of player that McDermott typically does not want. 

Totally agree, Yolo.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Those will be dropped lower on most teams' boards.

I guess based on the last few Mocks - I think CB is the pick.

Hoping for Newsome with his elite speed.  

That brings us full circle back to Tre’ White and the first pick.  I think they will keep the rotation going.

My guess is Rousseau or Harris if we stay put. I prefer Newsome or Phillips but I think both will be gone. 

I truly believe we are not going after Etienne because we would never Telegraph it that early. We may be moving up but not for him, likely for Newsome , Phillips , Vera Tucker or maybe even Farley.   Vera Tucker could even be our 2022 center if he gets to 20. 

I always mock BPA in our need spots which usually it is Newsome, Samuel, Rousseau, Phillips, Oweh, Harris, and on random draws we get lucky with a Vera Tucker or a Jenkins falling.

It will be fun waiting to see 1) what the Pats do 2)who the Niners pick and 3) if we trade up or trade back...  

On 4/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All I know is that the 1st pick will a CB. I feel like the Bills trade out of the 1st and draft Asante Samuel Jr. Taron Johnson's replacement in 2022.

I know this is the popular take BUT I think Bean will trade up and get another weapon on offense for Josh ( not Travis ETN ) but a WR !!

2 hours ago, Putin said:

I know this is the popular take BUT I think Bean will trade up and get another weapon on offense for Josh ( not Travis ETN ) but a WR !!

I think he can get fantastic talent such as  Terence Marshall by staying at 30 or even moving down a little bit.

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think he can get fantastic talent such as  Terence Marshall by staying at 30 or even moving down a little bit.

Marshall has an medical red flag, I don’t think I would take him that high. Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reported the Ravens have "cooled on LSU's Terrace Marshall due to injury concerns. 
Marshall, who spent some of 2020 sidelined with a foot issue and struggled with leg injuries in high school, is a prime candidate to fall down draft boards.”