Call your shot: Who will the Bills pick in the 1st round?

Logic

So....You've gone through Brandon Beane's presser with a fine-tooth comb. You've debated and argued the comparative merits of pass rushers, corners, and running backs with everyone on The Stadium Wall. You've scoured Youtube highlight videos and analyst's big boards. You've done 50+ mock drafts on the Draft Network's simulator. Your thinking cap is worn out and you're ready for draft night to just GET HERE already!

I want to know, fellow Bills lunatics: Who do YOU think the Bills will select with their first round pick? Not who you WANT them to take, but who you think they WILL take. Not a list of five different players, not an "if, then" scenario, just a simple answer: Which player will the Bills take in round one? Let's see who among us is Carnac the Magnificent.

I'll start.

I believe that with the 30th pick in the draft, the Bills will select Joe Tryon, EDGE, Washington.

I know, I know: You've probably seen him listed as more of an early to mid second round pick. I don't buy it. He has prototypical size and athleticism. He had college productivity (8 sacks and 12.5 TFLs in 2019). He has burst. He has a high motor and solid football character. He posted an elite RAS. We know Beane and his staff like toolsy prospects.

Value wise? Dane Brugler has him ranked 32nd and Daniel Jeremiah has him ranked 35th on their respective big boards. Benjamin Allbright stated recently that not enough draftniks are talking abut Tryon, and that he will get drafted higher than people think.

When Brandon Beane talked about drafting for the future and getting someone who may not start this year, but can learn from players that might be on the last year of their deals and then can take over next year, I immediately thought of Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison. BOTH will be free agents after 2021, and the Bills simply cannot keep kicking the Edge rusher can down the road. They have Epenesa, sure, but they need another guy there with some juice and star potential. Tryon will learn under two great veteran rushers this season and, if all goes well, he and Epenesa will take over as the top two guys in 2022.

Whereas I believe the Bills can find a starting caliber corner in round two (and IOL/IDL/WR help later on), I do not believe they can find an edge with much promise much beyond round one. 

So that's my take, TBD. How about you? Who do YOU think the Bills will draft on Thursday night?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Special K said:

No one....I see a trade down to pick up an extra early third round pick.

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Either the highest motor lunchpail DE, or darkhorse D3 CB prospect left on the board

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I see a trade down and a trade up in the later rounds of the draft

Okay, okay. I get it. I think a trade-down or trade-up is a reasonable possibility, too.

What I'm trying to ask here, though, is who do you think they'll take with their first pick? Pretend I didn't say "who will they pick in the 1st round", but instead said  "Who will be their first selection". This is a player prognostication exercise.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Special K said:

No one....I see a trade down to pick up an extra early third round pick.

Alas, they wouldn't get an early third. If the team is picking early 2nd, they're not giving up a 3rd to go up 6, 7 , or 8 slots. Maybe a 4th with the Bills send ng a 6th or 7th back.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Okay, okay. I get it. I think a trade-down or trade-up is a reasonable possibility, too.

What I'm trying to ask here, though, is who do you think they'll take with their first pick? Pretend I didn't say "who will they pick in the 1st round", but instead said  "Who will be their first selection". This is a player prognostication exercise.

Quitty Paye or Caleb Farley

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

I think the Bills will trade up to around 20, surrendering their 1st, 3rd & (1) 5th round picks, plus a 2022 3rd rounder to select JOK...it satisfies covering the tight end position, as well as a pass rush, all with one pick...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Brandon Beane was joking when he said draft for the future and not immediately starting. The guy drafted at 30 better start.

I think there's a reasonably good chance you'll be disappointed on draft night.

• Like (+1) 2