Peter King Mock- Bills take Etienne

Perfect place to share this. I watched King on PFT with Mike Florio. Here is a graph he posted during the interview on the RBs that were drafted in the 1st round in the last 5 drafts.

Player.                      Overall pick     Year

Ezekiel Elliott.                    4th.       2016

Leonard Fournette.            4th.       2017

Christian McCaffrey.          8th.       2017

Saquon Barkley.                  2nd.      2018

Rashaad Penny.                   27th.     2018

Sony Michel.                         31st      2018

Josh Jacobs.                         24th.    2019

Clyde Edwards-Helaire.        32nd.   2020

Outside of McCaffrey and Edwards-Helaire (still too early to tell with him imo), would you use the 30th overall pick on any of the others? Me personally, no, I’d rather that the Bills shore up the DL or the secondary before addressing the RB position. In addition to that I think the acquisition of Breida will address that break away speed that Singletary and Moss lack. 

Towards the end of the interview one of them, King or Florio, I forget which goes on and states that it’s been a generation since the Bills were in position to be able to choose a luxury pick. While there is some truth to that that doesn’t mean that the Bills shouldn’t use the pick wisely and based on the last 5 drafts the RBs that were picked in the 1st round hasn’t been the best use of a 1st round pick imo.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, Max Fischer said:

IMO, King does not a compelling case, just rehashes the "speed" issue.  Moreover, I don't want the Bills to utilize more RB screen plays, they are a throw downfield team. On this mock, it seems tOjulari would still be available. If so, that would make much more sense.  

I like having screens underneath with a downfield passing game. Gives two layers to defend and slows down pass rushers. Both key to downfield success. 

I don’t think you need a top back to do that but conceptually it makes sense to have those play types paired.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure how to feel about the dude introducing the Etienne hype video here...CJ Spiller 

21 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Perfect place to share this. I watched King on PFT with Mike Florio. Here is a graph he posted during the interview on the RBs that were drafted in the 1st round in the last 5 drafts.

Outside of McCaffrey and Edwards-Helaire (still too early to tell with him imo), would you use the 30th overall pick on any of the others? Me personally, no, I’d rather that the Bills shore up the DL or the secondary before addressing the RB position. In addition to that I think the acquisition of Breida will address that break away speed that Singletary and Moss lack. 

Towards the end of the interview one of them, King or Florio, I forget which goes on and states that it’s been a generation since the Bills were in position to be able to choose a luxury pick. While there is some truth to that that doesn’t mean that the Bills shouldn’t use the pick wisely and based on the last 5 drafts the RBs that were picked in the 1st round hasn’t been the best use of a 1st round pick imo.

Jacobs and Elliott for sure. Elliott needs a better environment because he's a knucklehead but McD would know that and he would thrive here for 1300 and 10 tds a year with ease 

11 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Not sure how to feel about the dude introducing the Etienne hype video here...CJ Spiller 

Jacobs and Elliott for sure. Elliott needs a better environment because he's a knucklehead but McD would know that and he would thrive here for 1300 and 10 tds a year with ease 

You do see some Kamara there.  Kamara is low key a power back and ETN has some pop to his runs. 

On 4/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

There is NO WAY they’re giving a rookie RB on the smaller side 18-22 touches per game in Daboll’s offense.  It just isn’t going to happen, not in 2021 and even afterwards, not unless they tweak the offense and trade Motor or Moss.  I just don’t get this thinking at all.  Where would those touches be coming from?  He’s not a “bell cow” back and he doesn’t pass block.  Are you taking the ball out of Allen’s hands to feed Etiene?  If so you’re committing coaching malpractice.

Realistically, if they take Etiene at 30 and don’t trade/release Motor or Moss, we’re talking 5-10 touches per game MAX in 2021 and that’s probably including KR duties.  Again, not a good ROI for a first round pick.

Realistically, if they take Etienne they will most definitely use him more than Moss and Singletary won’t be in their plans.  You’re acting as if you know that they won’t use him very much, when that’s just not the truth.  You use the term “take the ball out of allens hands to feed Etienne”, when that’s not the case either.  We would still be a pass first team.  Etienne would give us a home run threat when we do run as well as in the screen/check down, short passing game.  He’s a threat. The threat of game breaking RB can help open up the passing game too. 

I’m not saying he’s the right pick.... but I don’t agree with the points.  Is it coaching malpractice to want to have a good Rb to pair with your stud qb and WR?  It doesn’t mean you have to run the bal 25 times a game or it’s a waste of a pick.  Beane has put us in the position where we can take the Bpa....even if the BPA is a RB.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Realistically, if they take Etienne they will most definitely use him more than Moss and Singletary won’t be in their plans.  You’re acting as if you know that they won’t use him very much, when that’s just not the truth.  You use the term “take the ball out of allens hands to feed Etienne”, when that’s not the case either.  We would still be a pass first team.  Etienne would give us a home run threat when we do run as well as in the screen/check down, short passing game.  He’s a threat. The threat of game breaking RB can help open up the passing game too. 

I’m not saying he’s the right pick.... but I don’t agree with the points.  Is it coaching malpractice to want to have a good Rb to pair with your stud qb and WR?  It doesn’t mean you have to run the bal 25 times a game or it’s a waste of a pick.  Beane has put us in the position where we can take the Bpa....even if the BPA is a RB.  

In this offense, I want the RB to be a great pass catcher. It seems Etienne has this potential to evolve into a good pass catcher. That will keep a lot of teams honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I think you can already say no to CEH also.

The guys drafted outside the Top 10 are all just Jags at this point.

The guys in the top 10 have some play, but other than McCaffrey - none of them are worth the second contracts or what they are paid and I am not sure McCaffrey - as good as he is - makes a lick of difference to a teams outcome.

22 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I’d use the 30th pick on Mccaffery, Barkley and Elliot for sure.  Not 2021 version....but the draftee version of them.  Jacobs.....probably not, but I’d be tempted.  I was a huge Jacobs fan when he was coming out 

Def not the rest. 

Edited by NewEra

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I'm happy if we take the ball out of Josh's hands on those option plays where Bosa folds his knee in half...

Josh scrambling for first downs when no one's open is good, Josh being our leading rusher is bad for his health. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d use the 30th pick on Mccaffery, Barkley and Elliot for sure.  Not 2021 version....but the draftee version of them.  Jacobs.....probably not, but I’d be tempted.  I was a huge Jacobs fan when he was coming out 

Def not the rest. 

What about Kamara and Cook knowing what you know now about them?

16 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I'm happy if we take the ball out of Josh's hands on those option plays where Bosa folds his knee in half...

Josh scrambling for first downs when no one's open is good, Josh being our leading rusher is bad for his health. 

What about Kamara and Cook knowing what you know now about them?

Most likely. Considering the talent that we’ll be choosing from. Really depends who slips, but I think kamara or Cook would help this team more over the next 4 years than a Jayson Oweh or Joe Tryon would.  Jmo.  

• Agree 1

On 4/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Hunter has been good.  I think I just get a little bitter because my son plays DE at Georgia Southern and is only 6'2.  He is strong and can move well, but doesn't have the great length.  If he has a really good senior season he should get a shot in the NFL.  But that's how it goes.  I think he projects more as an 3-4 OLB at the next level.  But once you show you can play at the NFL level it doesn't matter where you come from or what round if any you are drafted.  

Best of luck to him. It’s hard to know who professional sports leagues will give a chance to. There is a lot of luck involved.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, billspro said:

Best of luck to him. It’s hard to know who professional sports leagues will give a chance to. There is a lot of luck involved.

Thanks Billspro.  I really appreciate the well wishes for my son.  He had a serious knee injury in the first game of the 2019 season at LSU.  But he had surgery w a real good sports medicine ortho in Atlanta, and recovered well.  He had a real strong second half of the 2020 season.  So hopefully it continues in 2021 and beyond.