Peter King Mock- Bills take Etienne

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Whatever happens Thursday night, In Beane I Trust.

For those bashing the pick in this mock: Given the way the draft falls and the players selected vs available, who would you have us pick instead of Etienne at this spot?

Looks like all the top CBs and "top" DEs are gone already.

This might be the year to do something like this, with all the opt outs. There can be a lot of hidden gems later in the draft that an astute GM can grab.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Chiefs are a truly elite offense.......they have dominated the AFC for 3 years without a good pass catching RB.     

The reason they are elite is that they can pass for a score on you from anywhere on the field.

As far as a missing piece in the playmaking equation goes.......what the Bills need is some more diversity in their receiving corps.........they need a big deep threat option and/or a guy who can stretch the seam.  

Adding a dump-down option at RB to an offense that throws tons of short passes already does not equate to what the Chiefs do to defenses.........which is stretch them vertically and expose them underneath.

The Bills scored more points than the Chiefs last season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, dneveu said:

I always come back to the 38 straight points we allowed as kind of the cause of that loss.  The defense didn't really play that well against indy either, so i think there are causes for concern on defense. 

Indy came close to taking the Bills out. I couldn't even sit for the entire game. It was a scare!

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've seen you cite that stat from 5 seasons ago(2016) before........it was the 4th fastest clocked top speed on a run in 2016 not "the fastest"..........but per Next Gen stats it's the only time he's shown up on the top 20 high mph runs in his career.

He's since had two 100 catch seasons and a 2019 season where he was used a ton on deep routes.   Lot's of chances to get back on there.   But nope.   

Top speed measured in a certain nano-second over a long run does not necessarily tell you how fast a guy covers a lot of ground.

If it takes Diggs 6 strides to reach an mph that Hill and Hardman reach in 4........that's probably the difference between 4.3 and 4.46 over 40 yards........and the difference between getting tackled in the open field and getting the edge on the defense.  

And that's what the eyeball test should be telling you........because quite clearly he is not as explosive as those guys.

Oh come on. That's a far more reliable and indicative stat than the 4.46 you cite. Diggs, a rare five-star recruit, went to a bad program with a bad QB, and I would bet a fair amount of money he didn't get coached up for his 40 time at the combine. Yet since he's come into the NFL, he's been one of the best receivers in the league, and just a couple of years ago averaged over 17 ypc on a high volume of catches. Anyway, instead of fixating on his terrapin-like 40 time coming out of UMD, do some searching about his speed as an actual NFL player. This is just one example: https://www.startribune.com/vikings-receiver-stefon-diggs-has-speed-to-burn-but-can-he-sustain-it/491812421/

Edited by dave mcbride

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh come on. That's a far more reliable and indicative stat than the 4.46 you cite. Diggs, a rare five-star recruit, went to a bad program with a bad QB, and I would bet a fair amount of money he didn't get coached up for his 40 time at the combine. Yet since he's come into the NFL, he's been one of the best receivers in the league, and just a couple of years ago averaged over 17 ypc on a high volume of catches. Anyway, instead of fixating on his terrapin-like 40 time coming out of UMD, do some searching about his speed as an actual NFL player. This is just one example: https://www.startribune.com/vikings-receiver-stefon-diggs-has-speed-to-burn-but-can-he-sustain-it/491812421/

We will have to agree to disagree about him being in the class of Tyreek Hill or Mecole Hardman as far as speed and big play threat after the ball is in his hands.

The larger point is that he is the best the Bills have and his value is greater as a short to intermediate receiver so it's a moot point.........he's not going to be taking screen passes 20-30 yards or being used as the deep option on 50% of his routes.   

10 minutes ago, The Governor said:

So we’ve been linked to ETN by like 3 or 4 people in just the last week or so. Ugh.

And prior to that everyone was piling on Asante Samuel Jr as the pick..

Just takes one to have some supposed inside info and then a lot of others jump on...

Edited by Aussie Joe

I definitely like this a lot more than trying to trade up 7+ spots for Etienne like another mock predicts.

If he's there at 30 then I'm all for it. I'm surprised by how many people want CB considering that the last few drafts have offered a ton of secondary duds at the end of the first round. Imagine landing Deandre Baker (a former 30th pick) or Mike Hughes (a former 30th pick). Gross. And it's late enough that it's practically the 2nd round, and nobody really even flinches when a top RB goes in the 2nd.

Hoping we trade back if neither Etienne or Harris are available and feel there's no need at all to trade up, and definitely not for RB. Try to hoard some picks for next year.

Edited by Nelius

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

I definitely like this a lot more than trying to trade up 7+ spots for Etienne like another mock predicts.

If he's there at 30 then I'm all for it. I'm surprised by how many people want CB considering that the last few drafts have offered a ton of secondary duds at the end of the first round. Imagine landing Deandre Baker (a former 30th pick) or Mike Hughes (a former 30th pick). Gross. And it's late enough that it's practically the 2nd round, and nobody really even flinches when a top RB goes in the 2nd.

Hoping we trade back if neither Etienne or Harris are available and feel there's no need it all to trade up at all, and definitely not for RB. Try to hoard some picks for next year.

Well, don't draft a dud. What other players did for other teams has nothing to do with our pick. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well, don't draft a dud. What other players did for other teams has nothing to do with our pick. 

OK yes, hard to disagree but vague. Are you hoping for any specific CB picks at 30? Historically the 30th pick is littered with CB whiffs, and I don't really like any of the options that should be available this year.

15 minutes ago, Nelius said:

OK yes, hard to disagree but vague. Are you hoping for any specific CB picks at 30? Historically the 30th pick is littered with CB whiffs, and I don't really like any of the options that should be available this year.

A lot of CBs get drafted every year late 1st and early 2nd. 

I think Greg Newsome is the best CB in the draft. Has some injury concerns. 

Let me edit that comment 

Newsome is a perfect scheme fit for the Bills. He'd start week 1. CB is very dependent on scheme fit. Some players like Jalen Ramsey can just lock down 1v1 but not many can. Scheme fit can make or break CBs. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of CBs get drafted every year late 1st and early 2nd. 

I think Greg Newsome is the best CB in the draft. Has some injury concerns. 

Right on, if Newsome is available then I'm for it. If the Bills can get a top 3 CB at the 30th pick then I fully support it, I agree that he's that good.

But he's zooming up mocks now. He might even slip through just a couple of picks beforehand, so then what? I just don't want to see us reach on a position that historically good teams seem to reach on late in the first round. Some dead zone where we take the 5th best projected CB when there's serious offensive talent available.

Edited by Nelius

Wow, it’s. Nothing like draft time to get the argumentative side out in people.

I have guesses, but the truth is no one can really know or even closely predict who falls to us.  I still think of several categories, the cornerbacks have more depth this year so more likely we take one if there, but it’s also very plausible Ettiene is there and if Beane likes him, that’s it.  We’ll find out around 11 pm Thursday night, and no I will not wait all night for the 30th pick.

18 hours ago, Logic said:

In King’s mock, no worthy corners are left at 30. Azeez Ojulari, Zaven Collins, Christian Barmore, Trevon Moehrig, Creed Humphrey, and Landon Dickerson are all still available. One could argue that any one of them would help this team more than Etienne.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

If you want teams to not pressure and play press man like KC you better have a RB that block when need can win 1 on 1 vs LB. Same for TE. I’ll take him but we better have some guards that can block Chris Jones to open holes for him. Ideally I would love a balanced running back like Josh Jacobs Dalvin Cook or Nick Chubb.

I am not an advocate of drafting a first round running back. In fact, doing so was part of what hurt this team for many years. That said, I would prefer Najee Harris to Josh Jacobs, and I have seen all of their games, and even all of their plays at Alabama. 

Josh is a step (maybe even just a half step) faster than Najee. That is his only edge. Najee is better runner with a head of steam because of his size and strength. He is a clearly superior blocker and an excellent receiver. 

This is not to say that I don't like Josh. He is a great kid. He was a 3 star recruit who Saban took only at the last minute. At one point in his life he was homeless and slept in a car with his father. I am literally thrilled by his success in the NFL, which btw was no great surprise to me.

Najee works just as hard as Josh and is VERY smart. He will have a fine career in the NFL. Do I want the Bills to draft him in round 1? Not really but I do admit that it wouldn't break my heart.

As always, JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Indy came close to taking the Bills out. I couldn't even sit for the entire game. It was a scare!

If not for a fingertip missed TD pass - Could be 17-7 or 17-14 at half.  Or if the kick the FG 13-7 or 13-14.  Missed FG when buffalo was up 17-10.  Back to back quick scoring drives make it 27-24.  Allen almost fumbled them the ball at mid field. 

Reich and Rivers blew it on the last drive.  No timeouts - 3rd down and 5, they throw it short of the sticks, and then ran it on 4th and 1 to pick up the first.  A minute of clock, got 5 yards and the kicker doesn't have a big leg.  So now you need like 40 yards in a minute.  They set themselves up for the hail mary for some reason... just a really strange series.  

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We will have to agree to disagree about him being in the class of Tyreek Hill or Mecole Hardman as far as speed and big play threat after the ball is in his hands.

The larger point is that he is the best the Bills have and his value is greater as a short to intermediate receiver so it's a moot point.........he's not going to be taking screen passes 20-30 yards or being used as the deep option on 50% of his routes.   

He is no Tyreek Hill. I will definitely grant you that. But I will say that Hill is one of the most explosively fast WRs I have ever seen play the game. If Beane sees a player as a true comp of Hill, then they should go after him. 

If we draft a RB at 30, I can live with it but I'd prefer Harris over Etienne.  If we trade up to get either, then I'm not happy.  I think the only trade up scenario that has any value is edge or CB but particularly edge since CB is pretty deep this year.

I think I'm still in the minority when it comes to RB because I'm fine with what we have if we can block and scheme better this year.  Lots here have said that we were a bad running team last year but I think it's much more accurate to say that we were an average running team last year.  We didn't pass a lot because we had to, we did that because it was clearly the strength of the team.  Speaking of, its very worth noting that Moss was an outstanding pass blocker.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:01 PM, billspro said:

In Oweh defence he did have the highest double team rate out of all the top DEs by a lot. He would have gotten some sacks if it was a full season. We are lucky it wasn’t a full season because he might fall to us. If he had 5 sacks this year we are talking about a top 15 pick. I think Oweh will be the best edge in this class but Paye will be very good. 

Check out Hunter from Minnesota if you don’t think guys like Oweh can be good.

Check out Michael Carter 

Hunter has been good.  I think I just get a little bitter because my son plays DE at Georgia Southern and is only 6'2.  He is strong and can move well, but doesn't have the great length.  If he has a really good senior season he should get a shot in the NFL.  But that's how it goes.  I think he projects more as an 3-4 OLB at the next level.  But once you show you can play at the NFL level it doesn't matter where you come from or what round if any you are drafted.