Peter King Mock- Bills take Etienne

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

One more thing: just building around a QB does NOT ensure that the rest will “just take care of itself”. Ask Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott. Defense still exists, and it still matters. 

You’re right. We just shouldn’t even bother then.

Not like we plan to be competing with them for the next decade or anything. 

No, just that ETN or Harris being the first pick doesn't mean the next 2 can't be DE then CB. Then next year you try for even more pass rushers. Some dude said something about process......

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Prefer a DE but has to be one with upside just taking a DE just to say we took one doesn’t fit well with me... etienne is a special player so I would be good with it 

Yeah. Kind of how I feel.  Although I kind of hope etienne is picked before us so Beane doesn’t have to make that choice.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

RB wouldn't be my first choice here,  but I don't have any real objection to it,  either.   As much as I hate taking CBs in R1,  I do think its likely to be the best value at 30 and most likely to make a quality contribution in year 1. 

As much as they do need one,  pass rushing DEs in the back half of R1 tend to be pretty risky.  Unless the guy is a clear top 5-10 overall talent that somehow drops to 30,  I'd rather wait until at least R2.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Whatever happens Thursday night, In Beane I Trust.

For those bashing the pick in this mock: Given the way the draft falls and the players selected vs available, who would you have us pick instead of Etienne at this spot?

Looks like all the top CBs and "top" DEs are gone already.

I would take Terrace Marshall, Zaven Collins or Barmore 

I agree with you that the draft board didn’t fall well for the Bills in Kings mock.  Seeing Tyson Campbell go before 30 would be shocking.  I view him as our “safe pick”.  No other corners are worth 30.  

I don’t hate drafting a Rb in rd 1 as much as most do.  I think our offense needs speed and Etienne has speed.  He’s a smart back and he can he’ll our offense.  A 1st rd RB is a 4-5 luxury pick as opposed to a building block that will sign a 2nd contract imo.  If he’s the pick, we better win a SB in the next 4-5 years!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I am not in favor of drafting him, largely because he has 788 touches over 55 college games. He's old in dog years, as they say. That is a LOT of hits. He "only" averaged 5.4 ypc in 2020 after averaging a ridiculous 8.1 and 7.8 in the previous two seasons, but you can't hide the fact that the trendline pointed downward this season after 460 touches in 30 games the previous two seasnos. However, he is not a dump off guy (and nor is Kamara) -- he averaged 12.3 ypr on 48 catches last year and 11.7 on 37 the year before, and it wasn't because he was taking dumpoffs to the house with regularity. He has more ability to do actual wide receiver stuff than most RB prospects. 

Yeah he is high mileage........as I've said.......you add the kick returns and he's well over 800 touches.

I think what @Straight Hucklebuck is saying is that those 12 yard catches in college will likely AT BEST turn out to be 8 yard dumpoffs.

Case in point.......Christian McCaffrey had a higher yards per catch average in college than Etienne.........and McCaffrey would be a legit stud slot WR..........and he only averages 8.4 yards per reception in the NFL.   Kamara is only at 8.7.    

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Peter King should read Carucci’s article today. The Bills need a DE and fast disruptive players period!

We either have a BPA strategy at 30 or we don't.   I'm sure we'd love a top end EDGE... except we're drafting at Pick 30. 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What percentage of the offense would he achieve in 2021?  5-10%?  Maybe?  They could replicate that production with Breida and a UDFA.  Would be a total waste of a first round pick.

I'm not saying I disagree with the amount they could / would use him, but according to Beane such a viewpoint would be counter to the Bills' approach. Beane indicated 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What percentage of the offense would he achieve in 2021?  5-10%?  Maybe?  They could replicate that production with Breida and a UDFA.  Would be a total waste of a first round pick.

What is that percentage based off of? If you're drafting a RB in the first round, he's starting over your 2 failed former-3rd-round picks. If you're drafting Etienne at 30, he's getting 18-22 touches a game, and a guy with his skillset, in this offense is going to be putting up solid, if not very good numbers with that many touches. 

I'm not saying Etienne has to be the pick, but you're using faulty logic to reach your conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

The way I'm looking at the draft for McBeane is I believe they want to draft someone who can come in and contribute as early as possible. They're linked to the DE/edge rushers but I think everyone in that group is gonna need substantial time to develop and contribute. Same for the DTs, unless someone like Barmore falls that far. DL needs some help but I don't feel like they're going that direction in the first. 

I don't think a LB will be there that they'll like. So that leaves a DB on the defensive side. The CB group is deep so they could wait until the second or third, but I do believe that group is pretty strong this year so they could go that direction because they might find one who can start day one. I also think the 'big nickel' spot they've been looking for could be in play here. Would that Moering kid from TCU make it to 30?

Offensively, I kinda jumped on board with the theory that they may want to inject that "instant offense" type of playmaker. Therefore, I can see them going WR or RB if they believe they have an impact player who can start early. For me, that's Najee Harris. I know people get they jimmies all rustled about a first round RB but that dude seems special. WR-wise I know they've been linked to Elijah Moore and other speedy receivers like that so maybe that works too. I don't think they go OL early. Just mah two cents. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would rather they take a pass rush guy or a CB, but in the back of my mind I see Etienne being a huge asset.  I'd love to see him in the backfield.  

People seem to forget they signed the pass rush guy Obidi, or whatever his name is.  I think he'll make a big difference.  I also believe the pass rush will just get better with Star clogging up the middle, freeing other guys to get in there.  

We can get a good DB in the 2nd or 3rd.  I think they should take a look at Koonce in the 5th.  

I know nothing.  I think if anybody quotes this post, that will be the quote.  Pretty much applies to all of us.

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he is high mileage........as I've said.......you add the kick returns and he's well over 800 touches.

I think what @Straight Hucklebuck is saying is that those 12 yard catches in college will likely AT BEST turn out to be 8 yard dumpoffs.

Case in point.......Christian McCaffrey had a higher yards per catch average in college than Etienne.........and McCaffrey would be a legit stud slot WR..........and he only averages 8.4 yards per reception in the NFL.   Kamara is only at 8.7.    

i know this isnt the point here, but does anyone think a year of spelling on 3rd downs can rejuvenate some?  not for or against it.... just curious if thats a consensus.  if we do pick him hes not going to see the touches he did at Clemson, so that is a possibility imo

man i wish this was  a stud DE draft.  maybe we consider going barmore this year, and find a way to put ourselves in position for a top guy next draft?  or whos a FA next year?  this is going to be the thing that keeps us from getting over the top.  hopefully espenesa turns into a gem this year, otherwise i see us stuck finishing where we did this year

36 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

What is that percentage based off of? If you're drafting a RB in the first round, he's starting over your 2 failed former-3rd-round picks. If you're drafting Etienne at 30, he's getting 18-22 touches a game, and a guy with his skillset, in this offense is going to be putting up solid, if not very good numbers with that many touches. 

I'm not saying Etienne has to be the pick, but you're using faulty logic to reach your conclusion.

There is NO WAY they’re giving a rookie RB on the smaller side 18-22 touches per game in Daboll’s offense.  It just isn’t going to happen, not in 2021 and even afterwards, not unless they tweak the offense and trade Motor or Moss.  I just don’t get this thinking at all.  Where would those touches be coming from?  He’s not a “bell cow” back and he doesn’t pass block.  Are you taking the ball out of Allen’s hands to feed Etiene?  If so you’re committing coaching malpractice.

Realistically, if they take Etiene at 30 and don’t trade/release Motor or Moss, we’re talking 5-10 touches per game MAX in 2021 and that’s probably including KR duties.  Again, not a good ROI for a first round pick.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i know this isnt the point here, but does anyone think a year of spelling on 3rd downs can rejuvenate some?  not for or against it.... just curious if thats a consensus.  if we do pick him hes not going to see the touches he did at Clemson, so that is a possibility imo

If they go against all of the overwhelming data that tells them why to not select a RB in round 1...........not sure how then not giving him at least 200-250 touches doesn't just make it an even bigger L.    To answer your question though........I don't think you can necessarily hit the refresh button on RB's by resting them either.   Good example is LeVeon Bell.......he got 330 touches at age 24 and then his per play production dropped off 20% at age 25.   Sitting out age 26 altogether didn't even refresh his legs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1