Peter King Mock- Bills take Etienne

After having a few mos to digest the KC loss, I've come off the rb train that I was on. However if it falls into BPA I'm on board and it could. My order on backs is Etienne (because he can catch and run routes), then Javonte Williams, then Harris.  Harris can catch too but his running traits just seem to really overlap Moss' and I think he's going to settle in nicely this year!

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, King does not a compelling case, just rehashes the "speed" issue.  Moreover, I don't want the Bills to utilize more RB screen plays, they are a throw downfield team. On this mock, it seems tOjulari would still be available. If so, that would make much more sense.  

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

IMO, King does not a compelling case, just rehashes the "speed" issue.  Moreover, I don't want the Bills to utilize more RB screen plays, they are a throw downfield team. On this mock, it seems tOjulari would still be available. If so, that would make much more sense.  

I don’t like our edge room at all right now. We have two older players that could get worse at any moment and two rotational DEs that haven’t shown the ability to get to the QB yet. Please draft edge in round 1🙏

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4.41 and 4.43 isn't world class speed when it comes to the NFL. 

He's faster than Singletary and Moss, but unless he steps in and becomes the feature back, does anyone really expect him to be split out like a WR and take targets away from Beasley, Diggs, Davis and Sanders? 

I hope not, because that means we're dumping off constantly. And as good as Kamara and McCaffery are individually, they cap their teams own offense because everything revolves around 4-7 yard dumpoffs. Too many touches to one player, and their offense becomes stale.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

After having a few mos to digest the KC loss, I've come off the rb train that I was on. However if it falls into BPA I'm on board and it could. My order on backs is Etienne (because he can catch and run routes), then Javonte Williams, then Harris.  Harris can catch too but his running traits just seem to really overlap Moss' and I think he's going to settle in nicely this year!

I always come back to the 38 straight points we allowed as kind of the cause of that loss.  The defense didn't really play that well against indy either, so i think there are causes for concern on defense. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Najee is even better catching and running routes.  Williams is good there too. “Etienne is the fastest” should be the answer.

• Like (+1) 1

If you want teams to not pressure and play press man like KC you better have a RB that block when need can win 1 on 1 vs LB. Same for TE. I’ll take him but we better have some guards that can block Chris Jones to open holes for him. Ideally I would love a balanced running back like Josh Jacobs Dalvin Cook or Nick Chubb.

Edited by Protocal69
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

The Bills did sign Breida who brings 4.38 speed to the position and is fairly good at receiving also as a backup plan depending on how the board falls to them...

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

He isn't worth it for a team that passes the ball as much as we do.

I hope that changes and the Bills become more balanced. Look at the 90's teams. Kelly threw the ball all over the place to Reed, Lofton and so on but everyone knew the key to the Bills offense was Thurman. I like watching Josh throw it as well but for a team that plays outside with many games in the cold and wind they need to run the ball better. Plus what happens when the Bills have the ball late in the 4th quarter and the lead. They need to do a better job running out the clock when the situation calls for it and that means running the ball successfully.

I feel like etienne fits us better because the thing is we arent suddenly going to turn into an offense that hands the ball off 25 times a game when we have josh allen. Josh is the system. Etienne isnt that type of back anyways. To me hes a perfect fit and great value at 30 but im also torn against taking a rb in the 1st

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Whatever happens Thursday night, In Beane I Trust.

For those bashing the pick in this mock: Given the way the draft falls and the players selected vs available, who would you have us pick instead of Etienne at this spot?

Looks like all the top CBs and "top" DEs are gone already.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I feel like etienne fits us better because the thing is we arent suddenly going to turn into an offense that hands the ball off 25 times a game when we have josh allen. Josh is the system. Etienne isnt that type of back anyways. To me hes a perfect fit and great value at 30 but im also torn against taking a rb in the 1st

Pretty much how I feel.  I get why people don't want a RB in Round 1, and we certainly need to get more playmaking ability from our defense, but Etienne fits this offense - as a playmaker - like a glove.  

The dude was never the focal point at Clemson.  That Offense ran through Trevor Lawrence pushing the ball down the field.  But Etienne kept defenses honest and was an explosive check down option. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Etienne isn't even that fast.   He's just faster than Moss and Singletary.    He's not a 4.3 guy he is a 4.5 guy.   The back 7 of NFL defenses are full of guys faster than him so the expectation that he's going to tear up NFL defenses with his speed is likely unfounded.

He's a nice rotational RB prospect.......but also high mileage........and certainly history has proven that players like him are not worthy of first round picks.

The Bills haven't "regrettably" passed on a RB in round 1 even once in the past 25 years.    The only one's that provide even a 50% hit rate are the generational backs who always go top 10.......the Fournette/Barkley/McCaffrey types.   And those were still bad picks that high because there is a veritable "impact cap" on how much difference any RB can make in an offense.....because it's a passing league.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1