Are sports’ drafts fair to the players?

2 hours ago, nucci said:

does everyone get to choose where they want to work? 

Not folks in the army, navy, marines, air force, coast guard, space force, public health services commissioned corps, and NOAA commissioned officer corps.  And these guys don't make millions

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sounds like its going great in Europe. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/04/19/european-football-future-leagues-competition-epl-la-liga-bundesliga-serie-a-ligue-1

Premier league has no draft and a team from Manchester has won 17 titles in 28 seasons.  Every other league has a dynasty which makes the Patriot's success success look like a brief run of good luck.

Yes its still the most popular sport in the world.

People seem to be ignoring that the NFL would still have a salary cap.

If the NFL said today no Draft anymore college players are free to sign wherever.

Trevor Lawrence is going to sign where?

A) The team that gives him the most money

B) The place where he can start.

He is not going to Tampa or Miami or San Diego because of the weather. 

While I love the draft, i would love a college free agent class that was able to sign and go wherever.

9 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You choose to join the army though. So yes, you did. You could have done something else. (The argument being used currently in terms of the NFL draft)

They choose to be in the NFL so they don't get a choice where they go. 

Thanks for you service!

I did not choose Iraq specifically.  But I did choose to go where ever the army wanted to send me.

No regrets.  And no sympathy for football players who don't get to choose when drafted.

So when you enlist to the military, how much influence do you have where you work?  Almost none.

it’s a major corporation with 32 CEO’s. It’s a formula where the owners get to decide the formula.  You go where you’re picked.  You can decline and make no $.  Of course they have you’re rights for two years so you get older and earn less.  On the other hand you can go where you’re picked and decide where you want to go in a few years.  You can also use you’re degree and choose which company you and the company meet in terms of a hire.  No change in my position.  This take not any person is moronic.  All the major sports do the same thing.  

not getting into the politics thing as that is a rabbit hole.  For example if Lawrence wants to make $0 for two years he can most likely choose wherever he wants.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

does everyone get to choose where they want to work? 

I got a job interview via subcontracting agency, interviewed at company and was given offer.   Ends up I knew people working at company.   I agreed.  Later subcontractor came back and said company wanted me to work at a different location more than 30 miles further and I told agency that is not job I agreed to; other job was so close I could go home for lunch.  Day of 1st day on new job he called me and said company was expecting me and I told him I told you that is not the job I agreed to. He asked "What I am supposed to tell them?" My response was whatever you say don't lie.  I know people at company and they will tell you what you told them.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not folks in the army, navy, marines, air force, coast guard, space force, public health services commissioned corps, and NOAA commissioned officer corps.  And these guys don't make millions

There are viable alternatives for those career paths (private contractors, etc.). The nfl used non-competative means through anti-trust law exemptions to eliminate or aquire other competitive leagues...same with all the major sports in the USA.

Just now, nucci said:

So, everything in life is supposed to be fair?

"The Draft make the league more fair" aka Competitive Balance

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is it "fair" that people who play games for a living earn more than teachers, fire fighters, law enforcement officers, soldiers, etc?

Yes, yes it is.

That's called free market.

You may not like it, but it is.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

I also have a choice to do something else, and most of the time the choice is not there, in college these top players are treated like Pawns. They dont receive proper education or traning. they are getting Colleges crazy money and being used as an income machines.

There are football players who have gotten valid degrees - it is based on how much efforts players want to put in it.  You think Ryan Fitzpatrick's business degree from Harvard is not valid?  There is a player Laurent Duvernay-Tardif who graduated from medical school in college (good way to pay for it) and was fourth medical school graduate to play in the NFL.

I bet if we think real hard, there has to be even better ways to screw up pro football

Lets draft University of Buffalo players only

Pondering George Costanza GIF by hero0fwar

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

How much money you make doesn't matter.

Stop focusing on that.

How about MLB players who make  60K on minor league contract. Is it fair to them since they make "Regular people money"

Yes it is fair, in that those individuals chose to be there, Knowing full well how that employment opportunity works.  they had options and they chose the baseball option, it really is that simple, do what you can to not make easy things harder than they actually are... 

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

They all freely chose those occupations.

28 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

There are viable alternatives for those career paths (private contractors, etc.). The nfl used non-competative means through anti-trust law exemptions to eliminate or aquire other competitive leagues...same with all the major sports in the USA.

I was an armor officer.  My expertise was to tactically employ M1 tanks to destroy enemy tanks.   Like many in uniform, my skill set was very specific to the military.   

When I left the service, there were no "viable alternatives" for me.   Even mercs didn't want me because they don't use tanks.  I had to learn a brand new trade.

I'm an empathetic guy but I can't find a lot of sympathy in my heart for ballers who may have to play a game in a city they don't love.

Edited by hondo in seattle

26 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

"The Draft make the league more fair" aka Competitive Balance

Yes, yes it is.

That's called free market.

You may not like it, but it is.

The free market economy is the best economic system humans have developed thus far.   But it's flawed and some day we'll devise something better.

As it is, IMHO, certain occupations (e.g. pro athletes, reality tv stars) are overvalued while other occupations (e.g. educators) are undervalued.

I don't use the word "fair" much in normal conversation.  There's no cosmic principle of fairness in life.   Kind of like a massage: I appreciate it when my wife gives me one but I don't expect it and don't whine when I don't get it.

Edited by hondo in seattle

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was an armor officer.  My expertise was to tactically employ M1 tanks to destroy enemy tanks and kill enemy soldiers.   Like many in uniform, my skill set was very specific to the military.   

When I left the service, there were no "viable alternatives" for me.   Even mercs didn't want me because they don't use tanks.  I had to learn a brand new trade.

I'm an empathetic guy but I can't find a lot of sympathy in my heart for ballers who may have to play a game in a city the don't love.

Safe to say the majority of your skills were gained through on the job training? That's not the case for nfl players. The skills that makes them able to join the league are developed prior to joining the league.

Also, I do believe there is a difference between gov't jobs and jobs in the private sector.

And yes, the military and the nfl both do a bad job preparing their employees for post career life.

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I watched an a video on ProFootballTalk and Mike Florio brought up a very good point. Sports are the only employment that comes to mind where the employee doesn’t get to choose where he gets employed. I never thought or looked at it that way but that’s a very good point. I wonder if sports’ drafts someday get eliminated. 

No because then the rich would get richer and the poor would get poorer.  There would be a handful of super teams and everyone else would just kind of be there,

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No because then the rich would get richer and the poor would get poorer.  There would be a handful of super teams and everyone else would just kind of be there,

This is 1000000% False.

The NFL still has a salary cap.

You cant just go out and buy the best player every year.

If there were no Draft and Trevor Lawerence was free to sign tomorrow, what three teams does he decide between?

Not to mention that team is giving up a huge payday to get him. 

This would eliminate teams tanking and being bad on purpose as well.

Edited by CountDorkula

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

This is 1000000% False.

The NFL still has a salary cap.

You cant just go out and buy the best player every year.

If there were no Draft and Trevor Lawerence was free to sign tomorrow, what three teams does he decide between?

Not to mention that team is giving up a huge payday to get him. 

It would be glorified Free Agency and the league doesn't want that.  They want parity.