Are sports’ drafts fair to the players?

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Technically speaking, the employer is the NFL.  Not the individual teams.

When a player is drafted, this would be like getting hired at a company and then being transferred to a particular department.

The big difference is that instead of managers splitting up employees inside a private conference room, it is done via a public draft.

Ask Mike Florio how many employees sign for 6-7 figure contracts right out of college.  

It's amazing to me how entitled the people in this country are becoming.  There are sports figures making $10+ million per year at 27 years old, who go around saying they are treated like slaves, and complaining how life is so unfair for them.  And they are being completely serious when they say it.  Honestly, it's disgusting.

How much money you make doesn't matter.

Stop focusing on that.

How about MLB players who make  60K on minor league contract. Is it fair to them since they make "Regular people money"

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How much money you make doesn't matter.

Stop focusing on that.

How about MLB players who make  60K on minor league contract. Is it fair to them since they make "Regular people money"

You just said to stop focusing on money and then you go and use it in your example...

I feel like I’m arguing with a bunch of millennials...lol

Edited by JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You do have a choice...you have the choice to do something else...the NFL is a business...and a business is allowed to decide how they want to distribute their employees within the business...

In pro sports, the goal of the draft format is to maintain a competitive balance in the league, to keep consumers interested every year...the last thing any fan wants is a situation like college football, where most of the best players go to one school...the Bills would never be good if that were the case...

This is an entirely different argument.

I also have a choice to do something else, and most of the time the choice is not there, in college these top players are treated like Pawns. They dont receive proper education or traning. they are getting Colleges crazy money and being used as an income machines.

Again in a "Normal business" if your business is moving from say Buffalo to Florida, you have a choice to get a different job in that industry, or you can move with them.

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

You just said to stop focusing on money and then you use it in your example...

I feel like I’m arguing with a bunch of millennials...lol

While you guys keep brining it up, so I want to see what is considered fair and what is not. 

What is the "Money threshold" where being drafted is no longer a luxury because "They make millions so it doesnt matter"

Which is your argument.

Imagine what it feels like arguing with a bunch of old guys who yell at clouds and think just because someone suggests something its called "Cancel culture"......

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It could probably be negotiated out of a CBA.  Im sure it would be a hill owners certainly die on as competing with contracts for upcoming draft picks would be a disaster and a cap would be unsustainable without ELCs.  Ive never seen it as something players' associations have ever have gone after or even brought to the table.  It is probably a thrilling process for many players.  

Overall it would be bad for the parity of the league and it would grow weaker and turn into haves and have-nots financially and the Bills, Browns, Steelers, Lions, Packers, etc would be sent into oblivion.

The MLB is an interesting contrast to the NFL as their players union is the strongest of any league while the NFLPA is relatively much weaker.  The MLB teams get most of their revenue from local broadcasting and other sources individually, thus the lack of economic parity.  It still has some revenue sharing so that the lesser market teams can survive but that’s about it.  Overall that brings in more revenue to the league - and therefore to players via salaries - than if they’d have an NFL style system.  salaries are further lifted by smaller market teams overspending relative to income when they can “make a run”.

It’s unlikely that such a system would work out as well for the NFL though.  Their appeal is broader and more people watch more out of market games than in other leagues.  If the larger market teams dominated then parity would suffer and viewership would look more like baseball.  And if you think QB and star player salaries look huge right now, they’d explode under such a system.  But both the NFL and NFLPA know they’ve got a great thing going so the system isn’t changing anytime soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

This is an entirely different argument.

I also have a choice to do something else, and most of the time the choice is not there, in college these top players are treated like Pawns. They dont receive proper education or traning. they are getting Colleges crazy money and being used as an income machines.

Again in a "Normal business" if your business is moving from say Buffalo to Florida, you have a choice to get a different job in that industry, or you can move with them.

I don’t feel the point of how “the draft is unfair to the employee” has been adequately made...

An employer makes it known ahead of time how they distribute employees within the business...the prospective employee either accepts it or not? I don’t see how that is unfair...

I’m a 5’8 stocky bald man...how is that fair to me? I want justice! 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Technically speaking, the employer is the NFL.  Not the individual teams.

When a player is drafted, this would be like getting hired at a company and then being transferred to a particular department.

The big difference is that instead of managers splitting up employees inside a private conference room, it is done via a public draft.

Ask Mike Florio how many employees sign for 6-7 figure contracts right out of college.  

It's amazing to me how entitled the people in this country are becoming.  There are sports figures making $10+ million per year at 27 years old, who go around saying they are treated like slaves, and complaining how life is so unfair for them.  And they are being completely serious when they say it.  Honestly, it's disgusting.

That’s not a good analogy as the employee in question only has the choice of taking or refusing one specific job with a non-negotiable salary (initially) at one specific company/franchise.  If they are transferred (traded) they can’t refuse and find another job in the same industry.

And while I’m not crying a river of tears for multimillionaire players (or even those making league minimum), it’s important to remember that the NFL gets to act as a monopoly because of the NFLPA and CBA.  Without them, they’d be 32 independent companies and they would have to act as such.  That would mean the end of pro football as we all know it.  The league and players know that there is a lot more good in it for all of them with the current system than without it so there isn’t anything “unfair” about it all.  It’s just part of a trade off that both sides agreed to. 

Edited by BarleyNY

33 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Not fair to the players? Lol...they’re the ones agreeing to it...🤣

Therefore, if you don’t think it’s fair to the players, you should be upset with them for signing an agreement YOU don’t think is fair for them...👍

Did you not read what I wrote?

5 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Did you not read what I wrote?

Yes...and I disagree with your view that it’s not fair to the players...but that just means we probably have different views on what constitutes fairness...

Edited by JaCrispy

This thread is one of the dumbest in recent memory. But I guess that's what we do as we count the hours until Thursday night.

The draft has been around for decades, and the players have been fine with it for decades, because they know that without it their cash cow dies a quick death. The draft provides hope for the bottom dwelling franchises, allowing their fans to at least feel that they might contend in a few years, by building a team of talent at the top of the board. Without the draft, players would gravitate to only warm weather cities, with owners who have bottomless checkbooks, and the league would become defunct within 5 years.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BornAgainBillsFan said:

This thread is one of the dumbest in recent memory. But I guess that's what we do as we count the hours until Thursday night.

The draft has been around for decades, and the players have been fine with it for decades, because they know that without it their cash cow dies a quick death. The draft provides hope for the bottom dwelling franchises, allowing their fans to at least feel that they might contend in a few years, by building a team of talent at the top of the board. 

See Soccer.... You know that most popular sports outside of the US & Canada.

Its a dying sport clearly.

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

What does the rest of the world have to do with the NFL? Make your point with the subject at hand, or move on.

You said that the NFL would die without the draft.

its proven that leagues can function without it. All of Europe does it. 

But that would mean the death of College football.

Obviously this is not a perfect analogy but when I was younger my father was offered a promotion in Chicago for the company he worked for that would have given a raise, but he did not want the Chicago part and he remained at his level for another couple years. When the position came up in Orlando he took it, so he had to make the decision that way himself. As for the other options of dispersal of players, European soccer does not have a draft at all, so it can be done but I prefer our way. Lastly the players union could push for a new way but they would have to present the alternative.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I joined the army, I didn't choose to be sent to Iraq.

You choose to join the army though. So yes, you did. You could have done something else. (The argument being used currently in terms of the NFL draft)

They choose to be in the NFL so they don't get a choice where they go. 

Thanks for you service!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You said that the NFL would die without the draft.

its proven that leagues can function without it. All of Europe does it. 

But that would mean the death of College football.

Sounds like its going great in Europe. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/04/19/european-football-future-leagues-competition-epl-la-liga-bundesliga-serie-a-ligue-1

Premier league has no draft and a team from Manchester has won 17 titles in 28 seasons.  Every other league has a dynasty which makes the Patriot's success success look like a brief run of good luck.

6 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You choose to join the army though. So yes, you did. You could have done something else. (The argument being used currently in terms of the NFL draft)

They choose to be in the NFL so they don't get a choice where they go. 

Thanks for you service!

Yup.