Are sports’ drafts fair to the players?

There are always going to be limits.  The player's initial choice is to attempt to play professionally or not.  To me it's not so different from the person who takes a job with a big corporation, then has to  locate wherever the corporation wants him to, or my own situation.  I'm a retired pastor in a denomination that uses an appointment system.  For 40 years I lived where I was appointed.  I lived in 5 different locations over the years.  Most of the time, I didn't have a choice about the house I lived in.  One difference is they have a contract that may pay them anywhere from 7 times to 800 times what I made per year at the end of my career.  I won't even tell you what I made when I started out in 1979.  Anyway, I'm not that sympathetic toward professional ball players over the draft issue.  If there was no draft, I can't imagine how we could have viable sports leagues.  If we didn't, these guys would be playing semi-pro ball at best.

Of course it's not fair.

You're doing this for the good of the industry and the chance for parity so a larger group of players can at some point be on good teams.. The players union has signed on for it.

It's not fair. Neither is the system that other people use, the job interviews and agreements system. Not everyone gets job offers at the good companies. Harvard grads have better chances, people with the gift of gab ... on and on.

Life isn't fair.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

If the players don't like it, they can always use their college education to secure employment wherever they want.

Most of the "student athletes" can't spell "skool" :lol:  or think the CBA is another league.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I watched an a video on ProFootballTalk and Mike Florio brought up a very good point. Sports are the only employment that comes to mind where the employee doesn’t get to choose where he gets employed. I never thought or looked at it that way but that’s a very good point. I wonder if sports’ drafts someday get eliminated. 

not true...

there are professions where some get in via job placement services.

for sports to exist you need to create competitive balance which means the worst teams get first dibs to selects,Ayers.  After I get getting tenure or licensed there are free to find a new employer.

remrmber unlike what owners want to say, there is only one nylander 33 teams in it. So to join the nfl you must go through this process.

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I watched an a video on ProFootballTalk and Mike Florio brought up a very good point. Sports are the only employment that comes to mind where the employee doesn’t get to choose where he gets employed. I never thought or looked at it that way but that’s a very good point. I wonder if sports’ drafts someday get eliminated. 

that would destroy every sport. you would have a couple of teams w all the talent.

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

The draft exists to maintain parity,keeping teams,and thereby the NFL,viable. This drives up revenue,which the players share in. Remember, also, the players are represented by a union which negotiates on their behalf.

Well stated. One could only argue that the kid coming out of college is not (yet) represented by that union. Having said that, it is their choice to join that union, or to pass because they object for some reason. Feel free to pass, if you don’t like the option presented to you.  

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

You guys took the bait. This is what he does.  I’ve done it too in the past.

Have fun tipster trying to rile people up as you know you’re premise is moronic.  Not you, must you’re premise.

Some people just crave the attention, I suppose? 

• Agree 1

I hope it doesnt come to it, but I could see it happening. You could maintain the salary cap and have some structured allotment of money, that increases for the worse teams, that each team has to spend on incoming players and then every player coming out of college is a FA. That way the worst teams would have the most money to sign guys. It would be different though for sure.