Are sports’ drafts fair to the players?

I watched an a video on ProFootballTalk and Mike Florio brought up a very good point. Sports are the only employment that comes to mind where the employee doesn’t get to choose where he gets employed. I never thought or looked at it that way but that’s a very good point. I wonder if sports’ drafts someday get eliminated. 

• Vomit 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

These players are CHOOSING to enter a sports draft to make millions of dollars...it’s not like they are being forced into slave labor at gun point...I’d say being drafted is a privilege...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I watched an a video on ProFootballTalk and Mike Florio brought up a very good point. Sports are the only employment that comes to mind where the employee doesn’t get to choose where he gets employed. I never thought or looked at it that way but that’s a very good point. I wonder if sports’ drafts someday get eliminated. 

That this is even being discussed is a sign of the times. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It's an important aspect to keep the league competitive and it's an agreed on rule to enter the league. Agreeing to play in the NFL is agreeing to work within rules and restrictions that are also in place for the betterment of the league itself. I mean the job itself is so very different than other jobs I mean the whole thing is designed for them to work in one place while both playing there and all across the country.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 6

Those very same guys can also enter the real world job hunting market place to find out that its really no different, sure you can apply where you want to work, but that sure as hell doesn’t mean they want to hire you, your name goes into a pool of potential employees and the company chooses/drafts you, then you accept employment or try elsewhere if that company/team doesn’t suit you, of course in the real world your not starting out at several hundred thousands of dollars and more annually... all I can say is, fair my azs, ya get to play a game for a living, what you hear now is the world’s smallest violin playing my heart bleeds for you... okay I’m done for a now... 😂

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That this is even being discussed is a sign of the times. 

The existing system protects the league, which protects the ability of players to earn huge sums of money. They can go off to Canada or play rugby if they prefer. They can use the free degree they hopefully attained to go into ANY other field of work.  Nobody is forcing them to go to work for the team that drafts them.  If they chose to sign that contract, they play by CBA rules. NOBODY is forcing them to play in the NFL. 

It is collectively bargained by a “private club” they can choose to join, or choose to pass upon. Up to them. 

IF they choose to join this “club”, they can later earn the right to go wherever they like via free agency. They just have to wait until it’s their time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 7

Team only gets rights and  player can choose to not sign with team.

A player can also choose not to play for team chosen and choose to go into draft following year. 

The player will get lots of opportunities to hear which teams they will be willing to sign for.

Players also are required to abide by union bargained pay scale.

I am surprised some talking head has not spoken against players being required to be represented by union even in right-to-work states.

I've always wondered what teams would look like if there wasn't a draft, and players could choose to play on their favorite teams or have a choice of the 3 closest teams to their hometown.

On a side note and a little off topic, the argument that you guys are using is the same argument I was using when players/people complained about players not getting enough money, salary cap stuff... etc..  It's part of the game, if you don't like it, get a normal job.

Employees of the federal government can be transferred anywhere in the country (or for some, anywhere in the world) for the "benefit of the government."

Military personnel get transferred all the time.

Companies downsize or close one location and move jobs elsewhere (even outside the US).

Back when I applied for my first permanent job, I had to apply to a central office which would send a stack of applications to an office that had an opening.  I had no idea where I could be hired.

Of course, all of us could choose to decline the job offer or transfer and look for another job.

Boo freaking hoo for a football player who decides to declare for the NFL draft, gets drafted, then opts to sign a huge contract with the team that drafted them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Let them quit professional sports and they can get a regular job wherever they want.

I was recently laid off after 17 years with a company because the private equity group that bought it, loaded it up with debt and canned the senior people when their horribly unrealistic revenue projections did not pan out and they needed to cut costs.

So if a pro athlete wants to complain about anything, they can cry me a river.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

While I understand the point, what’s the solution?

How do you maintain competitive integrity and let’s the players have more say in where they go?

Instead of the draft being the way it is, have the teams with the top 5 picks collectively choose the top 5 prospects, then let those players choose which of those teams they want to play for? idk...

Anyone know of any good players that grew up Bills fans? I would like an idea of who would have chosen to be on the bills, if the draft wasn't the way it is.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

It’s a horrible idiotic point.  They are being hired to play in a league with arbitrary rules.  One of those rules is that they have to wear pads. Another is that they aren’t allowed to hold. And another is that they have to enter the selection meeting.

If they don’t want to wear pads, or they want to be allowed to hold or they don’t want to enter the draft, they don’t have to. But those are the job requirements.

This is a galaxy brain level take. So freaking stupid. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1