2018 Draft QB trade up feature - ESPN Schefter

nato7412

Do you think the "all 25 1st round trade ups for qbs have been an overpay" is true. Is paying an extra first rounder to trade up for a qb too much? I say you do whatever it takes to get your guy at QB. Beane referenced giving up their other 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd to get Josh, thank god he did.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, nato7412 said:

Do you think the "all 25 1st round trade ups for qbs have been an overpay" is true. Is paying an extra first rounder to trade up for a qb too much? I say you do whatever it takes to get your guy at QB. Beane referenced giving up their other 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd to get Josh, thank god he did.

The original deal with Denver for #5 to get Josh was both 1sts & a 2nd.  When Denver backed out to draft Chubb, Beane ended up keeping the 1st & used the other 2nd instead. 

36 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The original deal with Denver for #5 to get Josh was both 1sts & a 2nd.  When Denver backed out to draft Chubb, Beane ended up keeping the 1st & used the other 2nd instead. 

Yup and was able to trade up again and secure Edmunds. 2 Captains already and cornerstones for this franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nato7412 said:

Of course it's an overpay ... an overpay for the draft slot. Desperate teams pay desperate prices.

But if you make the right pick and get a good player, he's worth more than the draft spot. Get an unsuccessful one and he's worth less.

For the slot, you overpay. If you make the right pick, the player can be worth much more than what you gave up.

• Agree 1

Don’t know why Beane was so frightened by AZ. It’s not like they had the capital to match his 2nd and 3rd round proposal. He could’ve held onto that second 2nd rounder, but it doesn’t really matter all that much now. He got his guy and we have a QB on the path to becoming a superstar.

13 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Thanks be to Cleveland for not taking Chubb at 4! 

The Bills approached Cleveland to move up to 4, but according to Beane, Cleveland was asking "too much" to move up to 4.  Then they had the deal with Denver but it was contingent on whether Denver's guy was available at 5.  When Cleveland took Ward, Elway told Beane that Chubb was their guy & he couldn't make the deal.   

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Bills approached Cleveland to move up to 4, but according to Beane, Cleveland was asking "too much" to move up to 4.  Then they had the deal with Denver but it was contingent on whether Denver's guy was available at 5.  When Cleveland took Ward, Elway told Beane that Chubb was their guy & he couldn't make the deal.   

That's why the OP thanked Cleveland because we would have ended up given Denver more to get Josh which then meant we'd likely not been able to trade up for Edmunds. Either way traded pick 12 and two 2nd rounders looks like a deal to get Josh in retrospect especially when see what San Fran gave up to get pick 3. 

19 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Of course. They remembered how easy it was to take advantage of us like they did in 2014, when we had an inadequate, amateurish GM.

• Agree 1

Is interesting in that the 2018 draft featured more "can't miss" QB's than most years prior to the draft.  Where are we now,  Allan, Mayfield, and Jackson who wasn't as much in the discussions as top picks look good to excellent.  On the other end Rosen, bust, Darnold questionable at best, this is make or break year for him.   Seems like I'm forgetting one more??  Rudolph in 3rd round who was projected higher prior to draft hasn't looked good either.

So likely this years QB picks which may even be selected overall higher than 2018, some will become busts, the question is which ones??

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2021 at 10:57 AM, Logic said:

Sure. That’s fair. You overpay to get your guy and then, if your guy is a hit, you win football games and compete for titles for a decade+. Them’s the breaks.

Exactly if you hit on your guy like Allen I wouldn’t care if it cost 4 first round picks. We’ve seen what years of drafting RB. DE DT in the first round none of it matters without a QB. But I guess QB like Andrew luck don’t come out of the draft every year so there’s no sure thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Exactly if you hit on your guy like Allen I wouldn’t care if it cost 4 first round picks. We’ve seen what years of drafting RB. DE DT in the first round none of it matters without a QB. But I guess QB like Andrew luck don’t come out of the draft every year so there’s no sure thing. 

You keep taking chances with the QB position until it succeeds.

The one big difference for Josh has been that the coaching staff has been kept intact for the first four seasons of his young career.  That is a HUGE thing people miss out when evaluating Allen's success. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:53 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm just saying it's rare. 

Miami should consider it if Fields is there.  God knows they have enough draft capital to build around him the next few years.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, nato7412 said:

It's only too much if you end up with the wrong guy.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Miami should consider it if Fields is there.  God knows they have enough draft capital to build around him the next few years.

TBH they got rid of half the players they will be redrafting... Miami basically said screw proven players we have and let's draft unknowns.