Best RB in the AFC East?

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In order:

1. Who cares?

2. Singletary

3. Moss 

4. Harris

5. Michel

I initially thought that I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets took a running back with their second first round pick given how bare the cupboard is there, but if you look at Joe Douglas's career -- 2000-2015 with the Ravens; 2016 as director of college scouting for the Bears; and from 2017-19 as VP of player personnel with the Eagles -- he's never been part of an organization that has drafted an RB first.  The best you'll find is Ray Rice and Miles Saunders with late seconds. That's it. They desperately more o-line or a wide receiver anyway to help their rookie qb, so I can't see them going after Etienne/Harris.

I can't see the Steelers being dumb enough to take a RB either; the last time they took one in the first, it was Rashard Mendenhall, whose career was pretty mediocre. (They got Bettis and a third for a second and a 4th, and Bell was a mid-second round pick.) Before Mendenhall, they hadn't taken a RB first since 1988, when they picked the bust Tim Worley. For a team that always has had a good running game, I think it's pretty clear to them that you don't need to spend first round picks on RBs. They spend them on Casey Hamptons and Alan Fanecas. So I can't see them taking a RB in the first either. 

As for Miami, they're another team that hasn't taken a RB in round 1 for forever. The last three they took -- Ronnie Brown in 2005, JJ Johnson in 1999, and John Avery in 1998 -- were colossal busts. 

The reason I mention this is because those strike me as the three teams most likely (at least in theory) to take a RB before the Bills and I just don't see it. I guess you could make a case for Miami given how weak their current stable is, but I have to think that second first rounder will be dedicated to the secondary -- they have to stop Josh Allen. Anyway, I have a hunch that at least one of the two RBs -- Etienne and Harris -- will be there when the Bills are up. We'll see if they can avoid the shiny object. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I initially thought that I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets took a running back with their second first round pick given how bare the cupboard is there, but if you look at Joe Douglas's career -- 2000-2015 with the Ravens; 2016 as director of college scouting for the Bears; and from 2017-19 as VP of player personnel with the Eagles -- he's never been part of an organization that has drafted an RB first.  The best you'll find is Ray Rice and Miles Saunders with late seconds. That's it. They desperately more o-line or a wide receiver anyway to help their rookie qb, so I can't see them going after Etienne/Harris.

I can't see the Steelers being dumb enough to take a RB either; the last time they took one in the first, it was Rashard Mendenhall, whose career was pretty mediocre. (They got Bettis and a third for a second and a 4th, and Bell was a mid-second round pick.) Before Mendenhall, they hadn't taken a RB first since 1988, when they picked the bust Tim Worley. For a team that always has had a good running game, I think it's pretty clear to them that you don't need to spend first round picks on RBs. They spend them on Casey Hamptons and Alan Fanecas. So I can't see them taking a RB in the first either. 

As for Miami, they're another team that hasn't taken a RB in round 1 for forever. The last three they took -- Ronnie Brown in 2005, JJ Johnson in 1999, and John Avery in 1998 -- were colossal busts. 

The reason I mention this is because those strike me as the three teams most likely (at least in theory) to take a RB before the Bills and I just don't see it. I guess you could make a case for Miami given how weak their current stable is, but I have to think that second first rounder will be dedicated to the secondary -- they have to stop Josh Allen. Anyway, I have a hunch that at least one of the two RBs -- Etienne and Harris -- will be there when the Bills are up. We'll see if they can avoid the shiny object. 

Yeah I really hope they don't mistake their lack of hitting a "home run" on their RB picks with the fact that they didn't spend a higher pick on one.   Hopefully the "growth mindset" is above that kind of rationale.

Their opportunities to add real impact players........guys who aren't necessarily reliant on outstanding production from their teammates like a RB is with his OL.....island and edge players.......are going to be limited in coming seasons because of the salary cap situation they are in.  

Knowing the overwhelming data against it.........wasting a first round pick on a RB would be embarrassing..........but successful teams still occasionally make excuses to do such a stupid thing,  like the Chiefs did last year.    So you can't rule it out.        

• Like (+1) 4

On 4/25/2021 at 10:04 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Who is the best RB in the division ... this tweet made me think. Because I had to think about who the other teams even have. 

Singletary? Damian Harris? 

Singletary being in this discussion is beyond laughable.

Breida is twice the back.

I'm not sure, nobody really stands out. Harris seems like he could be really good up in NE but they always go RBBC so who knows. 

I'm excited for Moss this season. He had a bit of a rocky rookie year with some injuries and getting benched because of a fumble but hopefully he takes the next step in year two.

I know it's the trendy thing to harp on Singletary but I don't think it's completely fair to put everything on the RBs. The OL struggled in nearly every game to create lanes. So many times defenders were in the backfield the second Allen handed it off. Singletary may not have the big time speed but he has great vision, tremendous balance, he cuts really well and makes guys miss. Between him, Moss, and Brieda, we should see some improvement. I think they're gonna be alright. 

Hard to say, the Pats really ran the ball well as a team last year, but Lundy throw a completed pass for anything so I don’t think teams worried to much about it...

Nee year this year and anyone can be the best this year, I will probably suffer three at least 7 or 8 games of Cam if not a hole season. 2 years with Cam will feel longer than 20 years with Brady did. Lol  but seriously what happened last year means nothing a hole new year anyone can be the best RB this yr in the East.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hard to say, the Pats really ran the ball well as a team last year, but Lundy throw a completed pass for anything so I don’t think teams worried to much about it...

Nee year this year and anyone can be the best this year, I will probably suffer three at least 7 or 8 games of Cam if not a hole season. 2 years with Cam will feel longer than 20 years with Brady did. Lol  but seriously what happened last year means nothing a hole new year anyone can be the best RB this yr in the East.

So who is it?

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So who is it?

This year can be anyone. My bet be on Harris as the Pats it appears are going back to a run first O especially if Jones is the QB.  He will have the better stats because he will have more opportunity than any other RB.

I don't know how much James White may have lost a step, but he strikes me as a clear #2 running in the AFCE to Josh Allen. :P I think Gaskin could do really well - liked him coming out in the draft. 

But the answer, if he can stay on the field/healthy, is:

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

This year can be anyone. My bet be on Harris as the Pats it appears are going back to a run first O especially if Jones is the QB.  He will have the better stats because he will have more opportunity than any other RB.

They’re going to be a run first team especially if JONES is the QB?  So there’s a chance that they’re a pass first team if CAM is the qb??  LOL!!!!!!

there’s something wrong eith this poast

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

They’re going to be a run first team especially if JONES is the QB?  So there’s a chance that they’re a pass first team if CAM is the qb??  LOL!!!!!!

there’s something wrong eith this poast

Lmao true!! I was thinking be a lot like the 2001 Pats O with Jones. I figured with Newton he get less since ALL Newton can do now is run. Lol