Who might the Bills take on Thursday? NFL Rumors gives a clue

I maintain that the Bills are more likely to draft Asante Samuel than many would think. Perhaps not at 30, but I think it’s a very real possibility.

Discount McDermott having coached his father at your own peril.

I’m not saying it’s a lock, but it doesn’t get nearly the discussion it should, IMO.

Furthermore, this front office loves “toolsy” prospects (think Allen and Edmunds), so interest in Phillips and Oweh would make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

I maintain that the Bills are more likely to draft Asante Samuel than many would think. Perhaps not at 30, but I think it’s a very real possibility.

Discount McDermott having coached his father at your own peril.

I’m not saying it’s a lock, but it doesn’t get nearly the discussion it should, IMO.

Furthermore, this front office loves “toolsy” prospects (think Allen and Edmunds), so interest in Phillips and Oweh would make sense to me.

I’d suspect they’d want him in the 45-60 range which would mean a trade down from 30 or trade up in the second round.  Not sure he’s giving value at 30 if they stay put.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’d suspect they’d want him in the 45-60 range which would mean a trade down from 30 or trade up in the second round.  Not sure he’s giving value at 30 if they stay put.

I agree that a trade down (or a trade back up into round 2 from 3) would likely present better value. I also think he’ll be taken earlier than the current popular wisdom suggests. I think the league is higher on him than the average draftnik.

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Phillips would be a home run pick if he falls - but he won’t.  He’ll be long gone.

“Fall” is relative in this case.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see Phillips go mid to late teens.  If he is still available at 17-18 or so Beane might try to go get him.  

I expect Beane to trade up.  Bills roster is good.  They need quality over quantity.  The question is how far up the board is he willing to go and for whom?  My guess is the sweet spot is 20.   The whom: Phillips, JOK, or Horn would move his needle if they happened to be there.

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Phillips would be a home run pick if he falls - but he won’t.  He’ll be long gone.

Not necessarily. With his injury history and retiring for a year might be enough to snag him at 30? I could live with Phillips, Oweh or Samuel but my early desire for Najee has wained. Besides I'm confident Breida and Moss can handle things for 1 year. Drafting 1st round rbs just doesn't seem practical anymore. 

18 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

You can probably make that a solid 16 given that the Raiders probably will draft a guy to which no other team has assigned a first round grade.

Reminds me for some reason of when New Orleans used the 14th overall pick on a small school project DE who had a terrible senior bowl, in a weak DE class.  The reactions to that were priceless as he was considered a back half of the round guy at best, probably a 2nd rounder in a better draft class.  I still remember sitting up at the bar with chicken wing in hand just staring dumbfounded at the TV.

18 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Statistically speaking, not zero

I'll take it!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

I expect Beane to trade up.  Bills roster is good.  They need quality over quantity.  The question is how far up the board is he willing to go and for whom?  My guess is the sweet spot is 20.   The whom: Phillips, JOK, or Horn would move his needle if they happened to be there.

I'm not making a determination one way or the other, but many have made a compelling argument that the strong roster is a reason to do the opposite and trade down.  That we are good enough to no longer be in a "stock up on weapons to win now" mindset, and should focus on developing multiple players to replace the likes of aging players like Hughes/Beasley/Sanders etc and "good enough for now" fringe starters to prolong the success.

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm not making a determination one way or the other, but many have made a compelling argument that the strong roster is a reason to do the opposite and trade down.  That we are good enough to no longer be in a "stock up on weapons to win now" mindset, and should focus on developing multiple players to replace the likes of aging players like Hughes/Beasley/Sanders etc and "good enough for now" fringe starters to prolong the success.

Good point.  But they’re in a window right now.  I say chips to the middle of the table.  Go get your guy if you think he can make a difference.    If not, trade down.  I think either way Beane goes we are in great shape.  But we have seen he’s an aggressive GM, so that trade up is an even chance.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:50 AM, Buffalo03 said:

What are the odds that Kyle Pitts says that the only team he wants to draft him is the Bills and that he will reveal naked pictures of all the other 31 teams GMs if any one of them take him? And then Beane grabs him at 30?

Minescule, but if there were a prize for the absolutely most creative post about the draft, I would give it to you

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, purple haze said:

Good point.  But they’re in a window right now.  I say chips to the middle of the table.  Go get your guy if you think he can make a difference.    If not, trade down.  I think either way Beane goes we are in great shape.  But we have seen he’s an aggressive GM, so that trade up is an even chance.

Who says there has to be a window?  The Patriots were great for 15+ years, and we have our Tom Brady now. I agree that we're likely fine whatever direction McBeane goes in, but it seems that a lot of people have gotten so used to bad/mediocre Bills teams over the years that our current success feels like it has to be a temporary fluke we need to desperately capitalize on by any means necessary.  Plus, didn't Beane already allude to focusing on long term success with our early picks rather than immediate weapons?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, purple haze said:

Their “window” is like 10 years or more. Allen is 24.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

At least if we drafted him we might avoid him retiring to pursue a rap career again if we promised him he could work with Benny the Butcher and Bease

On 4/26/2021 at 1:35 AM, purple haze said:

“Fall” is relative in this case.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see Phillips go mid to late teens.  If he is still available at 17-18 or so Beane might try to go get him.  

If Phillips makes it to the Ravens pick, I think it’s 50/50 they pass on him. That’s where we’d have to make our move.

20 is Bears pick, which I’ve been suspicious of the entire time. I think a deal might already be there to swap.

Edited by The Governor
  • Disagree 1