"Don't buy our stuff." - Levi's

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard on a message board...

LMAO

It's true and please stay on topic for this thread.  You have plenty of threads for Trump bashing but I know it gets lonely there as nobody pays attention to you.  Please restrict your comments here to Levi's.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It's true and please stay on topic for this thread.  You have plenty of threads for Trump bashing but I know it gets lonely there as nobody pays attention to you.  Please restrict your comments here to Levi's.  

LMAO - why don't you go back to your safe place ATOP if you don't like it around here precious.

I dunno... I've been wearing Levi's it seems forever and I'm over 50. They have catered to a grunge crowd at some point but you can still get the ones with the rivets and the red tag... might be 501's but I'm not sure about that. Have had them last over 10 years and still look good. Bought another pair of straight leg at Penny's a few months ago. They seem like they are made out of canvas.. sturdy as hell. Western supply stores have them too... pro tip: always wash your Levi's inside out.

There is also this, although spelled wrong. It is on the Fulton Ave. double comp:

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, The Governor said:

Watch out guys! 

Mom jeans, high rise jeans, and the jeans with the big holes in the knees are back in style. Noticed it NYC last weekend.

I only own 1 pair of jeans. Some brand called Mavi. I wouldn’t even know where to find Levi’s. I’m older so I mostly shop at Nordstrom or Nordstrom RACK for business casual.

Hmmm…one of these three is not like the others. High rise jeans work well with certain outfits and can be quite flattering. I have a couple, for the rare occasions that I want to wear jeans. But mom jeans?! Jeans with holes?! GROSS. By the way, fashion bandwagoners are just as loathsome as football bandwagoners. Floral skater dresses paired with black pantyhose are my Buffalo Bills of my wardrobe. I wouldn’t be fazed if such an outfit ever went out of style for 17 straight years. F*!k the haters. I just be continuing on my way with my bad b!tch self. Y’all have a problem?! Nah, y’all don’t want no problems… <<< cue “No Problems” song by Azealia Banks playing in the background >>>

On 4/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, T master said:

Folks some common sense finally comes to the fore front i'm with you GobillsinDallas 

GoBillsInDallas makes a valuable point, but the spirit of the marketing campaign is what is being questioned in this thread. I was hoping everyone could agree that Americans with the financial wherewithal to forgo clothing companies for their negative environmental impact and poor labor practices should be encouraged to do so. Environmental sustainability, fair labor standards, and profit maximization are not at all mutually exclusive pursuits (or at least they don’t have to be if your company leaders are competent).

On 4/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

People who work REAL jobs wear jeans.

Ciara’s dance posse agrees (FYI: 3:28-3:33 was me celebrating Taron Johnson’s pick 6 during the Ravens playoff game):

EDIT: Corrected a spelling error. I meant to say “others” in first sentence. Details matter, people!

Edited by ComradeKayAdams
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:25 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Quality has less to do with where a product is made and more to with the level of competition the product faces in the marketplace. 

I know that, but RochesterRob claimed otherwise so I pointed out two infamous examples that cost people their lives. 

On 4/26/2021 at 9:18 AM, RochesterRob said:

You're a sorry piece of work but there is no reasoning with you on this.

Coming from you, that's a compliment.  Thank you.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, RochesterRob said:

We are talking Levi's and not Chevy's.  Levi's is not the quality that it was up to the early 1990's.  Do you actually read what others write here?  The amount of cotton used in a square foot of denim has gradually declined for Levi's over the last few decades.  The amount of cotton used per square foot is the key measure of durability for cotton based clothing.  I stopped buying Levi's many years ago because they would not hold up unlike their products made a few decades ago.  Most of today's denim is paper thin compared to their older counterparts from decades ago unless you are buying expressly a work line of product such as Carhartt which is not what it was itself.  As I said early on selling denim is the result of an intense marketing campaign by manufacturers.  They have successfully gotten the consumer to buy less but pay more for a given product.  Knowing that I have very little denim in my wardrobe any more.  

We're talking examples of quality.  You claimed that quality in the past was better than today using Levis as an example even though you don't have first any first hand knowledge of that  because you "stopped buying Levi's many years ago" .   I disputed your assertion with two infamous examples from the past.   My two examples were not only pulled from the market but the manufacturers were held liable for damages.

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I know that, but RochesterRob claimed otherwise so I pointed out two infamous examples that cost people their lives. 

Coming from you, that's a compliment.  Thank you.

We're talking examples of quality.  You claimed that quality in the past was better than today using Levis as an example even though you don't have first any first hand knowledge of that  because you "stopped buying Levi's many years ago" .   I disputed your assertion with two infamous examples from the past.   My two examples were not only pulled from the market but the manufacturers were held liable for damages.

I can't look at Levi's in a store?  For many years did not people look at clothing in a store before making a decision as to what to purchase?  Look at any ad from a few decades ago such as a Sears catalog and they would talk in terms of cotton clothing in regards of ounces of cotton per square foot as a measure of durability.  Do you deny that ounces per square foot should be a measure of quality?  My discussion never veered to talking about general workmanship of products from decades ago versus today.  I stayed on the topic of clothing.  I'm guessing that somebody...anybody else other than you carries the checkbook in your "household."  The rest of your statements are just mindless rambling.  Developing products for the marketplace is not always about minimal effort to stay ahead of the competition.  Ever heard of Gravely lawn and garden tractors?  They built a product that clearly was above their competitors for many years.  Goulds pumps.  You know products that many Americans relied on to take care of their homes and grounds for many years.  You are a shameful person.  I am so sorry that you feel threatened by me and others who have stopped by to see how badly this board has deteriorated.  

Edited by RochesterRob

On 4/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, RochesterRob said:

Not at all but you keep thinking that way if it makes you feel safe from guys that can out lift you when it comes to weights.  The left under goes more marketing blitz on average.  The Democrat Party making you afraid of Trump is yet another example of slick dishonest marketing.  Not only are you whipped when it comes to attempting self thought but you are a willing puppet.  Please do not bother me with any more of your nonsense.

I'm pretty sure he was referencing the irony of MAGA hats being made in China. 

1 hour ago, Melon said:

Not surprised there are cotton experts here

How do you measure quality?  By the number of square inches of belt sander rubs?  

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I'm pretty sure he was referencing the irony of MAGA hats being made in China. 

What's a MAGA hat got to do with the decline of Levi's?  Answer, NOTHING!  

• Haha (+1) 1

The cynic in me says:

So you want me to pay more (likely) for YOUR product because YOU say it's going to last LONGER so over the LONG run I will spend LESS?

What makes the clothes last longer?  

On 4/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, B-Man said:

Woke Levi Strauss CEO Condemns GA Voter ID Law- Can’t Explain Why It’s Racist

Levi Strauss CEO Confronted At Shareholder Meeting-Can't Answer

https://lidblog.com/levi-strauss-voter-id/

He joins a VERY long list.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

The cynic in me says:

So you want me to pay more (likely) for YOUR product because YOU say it's going to last LONGER so over the LONG run I will spend LESS?

What makes the clothes last longer?  

He joins a VERY long list.  

Well, they Do last longer if you buy the right ones. Like I mentioned above, you can still buy the old ones that are made seemingly out of canvas... they last a long time. I know your time stamp so you must have worn them back when. They still make them like that.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:44 AM, ComradeKayAdams said:

Hmmm…one of these three is not like the others. High rise jeans work well with certain outfits and can be quite flattering. I have a couple, for the rare occasions that I want to wear jeans. But mom jeans?! Jeans with holes?! GROSS. By the way, fashion bandwagoners are just as loathsome as football bandwagoners. Floral skater dresses paired with black pantyhose are my Buffalo Bills of my wardrobe. I wouldn’t be fazed if such an outfit ever went out of style for 17 straight years. F*!k the haters. I just be continuing on my way with my bad b!tch self. Y’all have a problem?! Nah, y’all don’t want no problems… <<< cue “No Problems” song by Azealia Banks playing in the background >>>

GoBillsInDallas makes a valuable point, but the spirit of the marketing campaign is what is being questioned in this thread. I was hoping everyone could agree that Americans with the financial wherewithal to forgo clothing companies for their negative environmental impact and poor labor practices should be encouraged to do so. Environmental sustainability, fair labor standards, and profit maximization are not at all mutually exclusive pursuits (or at least they don’t have to be if your company leaders are competent).

Ciara’s dance posse agrees (FYI: 3:28-3:33 was me celebrating Taron Johnson’s pick 6 during the Ravens playoff game):

EDIT: Corrected a spelling error. I meant to say “others” in first sentence. Details matter, people!

You know what else I’m seeing? Those cheesy tie-dyed jumpsuits from the 90’s. They just appeared everywhere in NJ.

Make it stop.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 9 months later...

Levi’s president quit and walked away from $1 million in severance so she could ‘be free’ to speak out against school closures

https://fortune.com/2022/02/14/levis-president-quit-school-closures/

Yesterday I Was Levi’s Brand President. I Quit So I Could Be Free.

When I traveled to Moscow in 1986, I brought 10 pairs of Levi’s 501s in my bag. I was a 17-year-old gymnast, the reigning national champion, and I was going to the Soviet Union to compete in the Goodwill Games, a rogue Olympics-level competition orchestrated by CNN founder Ted Turner while the Soviet Union and the United States were boycotting each other. 

The jeans were for bartering lycra: the Russians’ leotards represented tautness, prestige, discipline. But they clamored for my denim and all that it represented: American ruggedness, freedom, individualism. 

if you had told me back then that I’d one day become the president of the brand, I would’ve never believed you. If you told me that after achieving all that, after spending almost my entire career at one company, that I would resign from it, I’d think you were really crazy. 

Today, I’m doing just that. Why? Because, after all these years, the company I love has lost sight of the values that made people everywhere—including those gymnasts in the former Soviet Union—want to wear Levi’s.

I eventually became the global brand president in 2020—the first woman to hold this post. (And somehow low-rise is back.)

Over my two decades at Levi’s, I got married. I had two kids. I got divorced. I had two more kids. I got married again. The company has been the most consistent thing in my life. And, until recently, I have always felt encouraged to bring my full self to work—including my political advocacy. 

That advocacy has always focused on kids.

Things changed when Covid hit.

Early on in the pandemic, I publicly questioned whether schools had to be shut down. This didn’t seem at all controversial to me. I felt—and still do—that the draconian policies would cause the most harm to those least at risk, and the burden would fall heaviest on disadvantaged kids in public schools, who need the safety and routine of school the most. 

I was condemned for speaking out. This time, I was called a racist—a strange accusation given that I have two black sons—a eugenicist, and a QAnon conspiracy theorist.

...in October 2020, when it was clear public schools were not going to open that fall, I proposed to the company leadership that we weigh in on the topic of school closures in our city, San Francisco. We often take a stand on political issues that impact our employees; we’ve spoken out on gay rights, voting rights, gun safety, and more. 

The response this time was different. “We don’t weigh in on hyper-local issues like this,” I was told. “There’s also a lot of potential negatives if we speak up strongly, starting with the numerous execs who have kids in private schools in the city.”

...The comments from Levi’s employees picked up—about me being anti-science; about me being anti-fat (I’d retweeted a study showing a correlation between obesity and poor health outcomes); about me being anti-trans (I’d tweeted that we shouldn’t ditch Mother’s Day for Birthing People’s Day because it left out adoptive and step moms); and about me being racist, because San Francisco’s public school system was filled with black and brown kids, and, apparently, I didn’t care if they died. They also castigated me for my husband’s Covid views—as if I, as his wife, were responsible for the things he said on social media....

.....the Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the company asked that I do an “apology tour.” I was told that the main complaint against me was that “I was not a friend of the Black community at Levi’s.” I was told to say that “I am an imperfect ally.” (I refused.) 

At one meeting of the executive leadership team, the CEO made an off-hand remark that I was “acting like Donald Trump.” I felt embarrassed, and turned my camera off to collect myself.

In the last month, the CEO told me that it was “untenable” for me to stay. I was offered a $1 million severance package, but I knew I’d have to sign a nondisclosure agreement about why I’d been pushed out. 

The money would be very nice. But I just can’t do it. Sorry, Levi’s.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/yesterday-i-was-levis-brand-president

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2