"Don't buy our stuff." - Levi's

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

way it seems to me, its: 

1) need Levi brand to seem more woke, maybe data shows they aren’t performing well in that group

2) great way to rationalize  new line of higher priced (long lasting jeans)

i promise you every decision right or wrong was made with profit and revenue front and center. 

athlesure must be hurting them. 

Unless Levi's has come up with a new way to weave or treat cotton they will be the same shoddy merchandise that they have been for a couple of decades now.  Used to be durability was measured in ounces of cotton per square foot of fabric.  The amount of cotton per square foot in a pair of jeans has been going steadily down for decades now.

Watch out guys! 

Mom jeans, high rise jeans, and the jeans with the big holes in the knees are back in style. Noticed it NYC last weekend.

I only own 1 pair of jeans. Some brand called Mavi. I wouldn’t even know where to find Levi’s. I’m older so I mostly shop at Nordstrom or Nordstrom RACK for business casual.

Edited by The Governor

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

Wait the jeans didn't actually last forever?

No pair of jeans last forever but a couple of generations ago Levi's would be quite durable compared to other brands and types of clothes.  But Levi's succumbed to profiteering just like any other brand of clothing telling consumers that crap in the form of style (belt sander jeans) was the way to go.

41 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Watch out guys! 

Mom jeans, high rise jeans, and the jeans with the big holes in the knees are back in style. Noticed it NYC last weekend.

I only own 1 pair of jeans. Some brand called Mavi. I wouldn’t even know where to find Levi’s. I’m older so I mostly shop at Nordstrom or Nordstrom RACK for business casual.

Funny story, a year or two ago a friend of mine with a teenage daughter (14ish) is taking her clothes shopping. 

The girl gets excited about literal old school mom jeans. The mom is like, wouldn't you prefer skinny jeans? And the girl says "yuck, I'm not wearing mom jeans."

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Watch out guys! 

Since you know how to navigate the net then you know how to find Levi's among other things.  Levi's still can be found at a number of brick and mortar outlets including outlet malls.  You could be in a pair of Levi's by sundown unless you are out in the desert.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Since you know how to navigate the net then you know how to find Levi's among other things.  Levi's still can be found at a number of brick and mortar outlets including outlet malls.  You could be in a pair of Levi's by sundown unless you are out in the desert.  

You’re not supposed to wear jeans once you hit 40.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Governor said:

You would not know that by looking by most Americans including those in Western New York.  Most people look ridiculous but that has more to do with style versus their clothes being made from denim.  That being said denim does not go with every other type of clothing nor all occasions.  Under stated works best and is a style I go with on an everyday basis.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Unless Levi's has come up with a new way to weave or treat cotton they will be the same shoddy merchandise that they have been for a couple of decades now.  Used to be durability was measured in ounces of cotton per square foot of fabric.  The amount of cotton per square foot in a pair of jeans has been going steadily down for decades now.

Oh I meant to air quote ‘long lasting’ 

18 minutes ago, The Governor said:

how about these hip grandmas wearing the ripped ones.. 😆 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Agree 1

It's actually good marketing.  Claim you make durable stuff and therefore increase the price...but it's still the same crap that you still have to replace just as soon as the old stuff.  If they want to impress us, give a guarantee.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's actually good marketing.  Claim you make durable stuff and therefore increase the price...but it's still the same crap that you still have to replace just as soon as the old stuff.  If they want to impress us, give a guarantee.

As said Levi's was probably sagging with the woke crowd thus this marketing pitch.  Good marketing as you say but not much more than that.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Obviously they're trying to appeal to the younger generations and these are the issues they care about.  Even if it means turning off the get off my lawn crowd.  The goal being to indoctrinate them into only buying their brand to cut off competition.  It's a calculated risk that Nike pulled off (Kaepernick) despite having sweatshops overseas.  They've consistently beat consensus estimates with their earnings and their stock price is at an all time high so they're doing something right.

Levi's wants the market share they had during the 1970's when they could be all things to all people except screwballs and old people.  Not going to happen.  There is never going to be the "team" feel like there was in 1978 and go to school or a concert and see an entire crowd outfitted in Levi's.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your overall point is valid but Nike stock is no longer going up because apparently they actually gave validation to the Uighers and China is not pleased. The investors want to see if there is any response from the CCP such as shutting stores. As for this ad I think it is aimed at idiots who think the rest of the world being able to but clothes is a problem.

So did some of there main competitors like Adidas and New Balance.  It's a dilemma for Nike because they want to expand their business in China but don't want to piss off consumers in their home markets. 

12 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Of course, if they really cared about people/environment they would not have moved all of their production overseas to countries with cheap labor and lax environmental regulations.

Folks some common sense finally comes to the fore front i'm with you GobillsinDallas