"Don't buy our stuff." - Levi's

24 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

What’s your issue with this?

Everything.  But let's start with just the obvious.  

What if say, everyone watching the ad decides "yea, I don't need any more jeans I'm good.  Certainly not from the company telling me it's 'bad to have too much of something."

Is this what shareholders want to hear?  

What about the kids that work for Levi's and the need to feed their family?  

Or the people that manage or work in their soon to be dead brick and mortar stores?  

Is this what they want to hear?  

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Everything.  But let's start with just the obvious.  

What if say, everyone watching the ad decides "yea, I don't need any more jeans I'm good.  Certainly not from the company telling me it's 'bad to have too much of something."

Is this what shareholders want to hear?  

What about the kids that work for Levi's and the need to feed their family?  

Or the people that manage or work in their soon to be dead brick and mortar stores?  

Is this what they want to hear?  

Why are you telling businesses how to advertise? You sound like a communist trying to control business decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Why are you telling businesses how to advertise? You sound like a communist trying to control business decisions.

Nah but I just might have them in my stock portfolio.  

Don't like hearing "we don't really care about profits it's all about the collective dumb."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Is it trying to sell jeans?

Jesus, it's a ad saying they have a higher quality product that will last longer. So you should by it cause it's better, and if you buy their product you'll also help the environment because you aren't buying disposable clothing.

If you don't see how that ad could motivate sales then you're probably just mad that the company is able to generate sales by saying it cares about the environment. 

Maybe global warming deniers won't buy a brand that claims to care about the environment. But most people want to believe they are helping the environment when participating in consumerism. Even if it's total BS. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Jesus, it's a ad saying they have a higher quality product that will last longer. So you should by it cause it's better, and if you buy their product you'll also help the environment because you aren't buying disposable clothing.

If you don't see how that ad could motivate sales then you're probably just mad that the company is able to generate sales by saying it cares about the environment. 

Maybe global warming deniers won't buy a brand that claims to care about the environment. But most people want to believe they are helping the environment when participating in consumerism. Even if it's total BS. 

I agree with everything you said but there was actually a recent poll that said most people aren’t willing to pay more for environmentally friendly goods anymore which was a bit disturbing. I guess it really depends on what that product is.

Edited by The Governor

Obviously they're trying to appeal to the younger generations and these are the issues they care about.  Even if it means turning off the get off my lawn crowd.  The goal being to indoctrinate them into only buying their brand to cut off competition.  It's a calculated risk that Nike pulled off (Kaepernick) despite having sweatshops overseas.  They've consistently beat consensus estimates with their earnings and their stock price is at an all time high so they're doing something right.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

An interesting discussion I guess but you’all do realize that companies just look at the products they sell and then ask an advertising agency to sell them with a message they hope will be appealing in their targeted marketplace. They don’t actually change ANYTHING about the products they make or the way they make it. Green, my arse! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Nah but I just might have them in my stock portfolio.  

Don't like hearing "we don't really care about profits it's all about the collective dumb."

way it seems to me, its: 

1) need Levi brand to seem more woke, maybe data shows they aren’t performing well in that group

2) great way to rationalize  new line of higher priced (long lasting jeans)

i promise you every decision right or wrong was made with profit and revenue front and center. 

athlesure must be hurting them. 

So, don't you have a problem with drug companies with 30 second commercial, 20 seconds of legal nonsense telling you that death is possible, then 5 seconds telling you that if affordability is a problem they might be able to help, because they are so rich by over charging all their other customers 

7 hours ago, The Governor said:

I agree with everything you said but there was actually a recent poll that said most people aren’t willing to pay more for environmentally friendly goods anymore which was a bit disturbing. I guess it really depends on what that product is.

I think that the CO2 is getting to you.  Maybe CO if you are sitting in your car idling in your garage.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Obviously they're trying to appeal to the younger generations and these are the issues they care about.  Even if it means turning off the get off my lawn crowd.  The goal being to indoctrinate them into only buying their brand to cut off competition.  It's a calculated risk that Nike pulled off (Kaepernick) despite having sweatshops overseas.  They've consistently beat consensus estimates with their earnings and their stock price is at an all time high so they're doing something right.

Your overall point is valid but Nike stock is no longer going up because apparently they actually gave validation to the Uighers and China is not pleased. The investors want to see if there is any response from the CCP such as shutting stores. As for this ad I think it is aimed at idiots who think the rest of the world being able to but clothes is a problem.

There is so much wrong with Levi's.  The product is crap compared to decades ago.  Levi's has long lost its reputation as a company friendly to labor and American cotton producers.  Levi's a few generations ago was not completely intertwined with the left like it is today.  The message today seems to be if you are conservative don't buy our product.  I don't.  I have become exhausted on the whole culture Levi's stands for.  I don't own any Levi's-like product anymore.  I have clothes made from cotton but not styled like anything Levi's offers.  Thanks but no thanks Levi's I can think for myself.  I don't need to follow a herd of empty minded fools.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

There is so much wrong with Levi's.  The product is crap compared to decades ago.  Levi's has long lost its reputation as a company friendly to labor and American cotton producers.  Levi's a few generations ago was not completely intertwined with the left like it is today.  The message today seems to be if you are conservative don't buy our product.  I don't.  I have become exhausted on the whole culture Levi's stands for.  I don't own any Levi's-like product anymore.  I have clothes made from cotton but not styled like anything Levi's offers.  Thanks but no thanks Levi's I can think for myself.  I don't need to follow a herd of empty minded fools.

When the hell have conservatives EVER been friendly to labor???  Cotton producers, yes.  *****, never. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

An interesting discussion I guess but you’all do realize that companies just look at the products they sell and then ask an advertising agency to sell them with a message they hope will be appealing in their targeted marketplace. They don’t actually change ANYTHING about the products they make or the way they make it. Green, my arse! 

I took a marketing class while at college many years ago.  A huge, huge amount of effort goes into marketing denim.  Denim made clothes was one of the earliest industries to receive product placement treatment in movies and television.