Athletic article on JP Losman

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

JP had all the tools and none of coaching or development needed to hone it.  I’ve often wondered if he could have had a much better career had he been drafted somewhere else. 

Glad to see he is doing so well though

The coaching was subpar to say the least. I’d love to hear a Trent Dilfer or Jordan Palmer breakdown Losman’s footwork to see if that was the problem with his intermediate accuracy. Him and Stevie were my favorites as far as fan interactions. By the way, a co-worker was walking the Vegas strip last week with his Zubaz Josh Allen shirt. A guy walked up, tapped him on his shoulder and told him nice shirt. It was Josh Allen. Josh thanked him for wearing shirt and took a selfie with him.

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/24/2021 at 2:06 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

JP is an awesome guy who the coaches here ruined, glad he’s found success. 

If Bills brought him back to lead the charge, how do you think reception would be?

The problem with JP was that he did not have "It".   Reading defenses were not his forte nor his ability to deliver the strikes.   Granted he had crappy WRs for most of his time here.  IT was a mix of everything and the threat of Trent Edwards whom the coaches seemed to favor eroded his confidence and Dick Jauron did nothing about it.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Josh was not great in college nor his first season but its clear that he had "it". Not saying its always coaching some guys just are no good, but like i said Allen doesnt succeed for the jets.

If you look at Allen's highlight video from Wyoming, there are times when he throws the ball deep downfield, between two defenders, into a tight window, in the exact perfect spot for the receiver. Big boy throws that most NFL QBs can't make. Also, Allen had a high Wonderlic score--the highest of any of the QBs drafted in the first round that year. Add in his physical traits and his love for football, and Allen was definitely worthy of a first round pick.

Losman also had good physical tools. But there was nothing about him which suggested he was an accurate passer, and nothing which would lead one to believe he could process spatial information quickly. If a guy isn't accurate and if he can't process information well, good physical traits alone do not justify drafting him before the 4th round. It was not Losman's fault that the Bills front office lacked the ability to evaluate QB talent.

The same incompetence which led the Bills to draft Losman in the first place also led them to put him in a bad situation. (Except in 2006, when things for him were not all that bad.) Some of his problems can be blamed on a bad offensive line or bad coaching. But neither the OL nor the coaches were to blame for his habit of having short throws land at his receivers' feet, or sailing those throws over the receivers' heads. The only football-related coaching I've ever had was a few minutes of my uncle telling me how to throw a football, and I'm able to consistently hit my target near the chest on short to intermediate throws. If Losman is unable to do the same thing, he is not one of the world's 32 best quarterbacks, and should not be a starting QB.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sounds like JP might’ve mastered the short passing game if the coaches could’ve done a better job explaining to him how it fit strategically into what they were trying to accomplish.

His YPA was (barely) above average for one season.  He threw a ton of short passes and check downs.  There aren't many 1st rounders who aren't at least familiar with the concept of the importance of  the short passing game.  

On 4/23/2021 at 3:01 PM, prissythecat said:

Did you ever watch the his interviews when he was with the Bills?     I wouldn't exactly categorize someone who quotes Yoda as smart.   

What's wrong with quoting Yoda? You wanted Obi-wan quotes instead?

I am fairly certain that Star Wars is generally adored by both idiots and smart people alike, btw.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:41 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

JP had all the tools and none of coaching or development needed to hone it.  I’ve often wondered if he could have had a much better career had he been drafted somewhere else. 

Glad to see he is doing so well though

no shot alpha.

he bounced around college teams, and he rubbed teammates the wrong way in buffalo -- clearly he had attitude issues to start with.

on top of that, he just wasn't good.  the most locked on one guy qb i've ever seen.

i remember the jets played the bills in toronto, think 2008.  i had just moved back from NYC to toronto, was at the game (and recorded it to watch after.

from where i was, it was kinda baffling what happened on the last play which would have won the game (jets were a sick team that year), where jp fumbled it.

fouts commentary on the play was (essentially) "all the qb has to do is roll out and if his dump off isn't there, throw the ball away and punt, and then you have a perfect chance to win the tame.  the dump off was not there, but instead of throwing the ball away, JP losman turned into JP losman, and held the ball, got sacked, fumbled the ball, and gave the game away".

no coaching or development after a qb is drafted can turn a turd into a diamond.  JP was a laughing stock since the day he got drafted, and all the haters were right.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:17 PM, Arkady Renko said:

Makes me almost want to get an Athletic subscription.  Is it worth it?

I got it during their buck a month promotion just for the NFL Bills content. Definitely better than any other paid content for that.

Buddy nix said on nfl radio saturday that losman had the best workouts of any of the qbs in that draft but just didnt have the development needed for him to succeed.  Said Big ben was the chargers owners favorite but they felt he was immature so rivers became the guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

What's wrong with quoting Yoda? You wanted Obi-wan quotes instead?

I am fairly certain that Star Wars is generally adored by both idiots and smart people alike, btw.

Nothing wrong with quoting Yoda or Obi-wan--if you're a kid.   

• Dislike 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

He wasn't ruined.  Our scouts sucked when they were drafting guys like Collins, JP & Edwards and recommending trades for Rob Johnson & Billy Joe Hobert.  We may have had a stretch when the drought started where we had the worst QB evaluators in the league.  Butler was on record as saying he would have chosen Leaf over Manning & when they both were going to be drafted higher than the Bills spot they traded for Rob.  JP was just another in a line of bad QBs our scouts recommended. 

The drought era Bills' organizational approach to the QB position wasn't just bad, it was criminal!

Shockingly mismanaged for decades.  And we weren't alone!  

I feel like just now teams are FINALLY starting to catch on you have NOTHING without a QB!

NOTHING!

2 things come to mind..A helluva nice young man who everyone was rooting for. A shame that the Bills disaster of a franchise plus his 

questionable football smarts killed all that.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The drought era Bills' organizational approach to the QB position wasn't just bad, it was criminal!

Shockingly mismanaged for decades.  And we weren't alone!  

I feel like just now teams are FINALLY starting to catch on you have NOTHING without a QB!

NOTHING!

The Bills were miraculously inept as a franchise. Almost beyond belief.