Athletic article on JP Losman

44 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Losman in todays nfl would be a lot better suited to succeed

I don't believe that a coaching staff or organization can ruin a player but they sure as hell can set a player back a few years development wise. Example Ryan tannehill 

Tannehil was on the verge of breaking out imo the year he tore his acl in training camp. He ended the season before super strong, he just should have gotten the knee repaired, and instead tried to rehab, and nope.

https://dolphinstalk.com/2018/07/22/ryan-tannenhill-and-the-ghosts-of-acl-injuries-past/

Edited by HardyBoy
Added link
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Losman in todays nfl would be a lot better suited to succeed

I don't believe that a coaching staff or organization can ruin a player but they sure as hell can set a player back a few years development wise. Example Ryan tannehill 

David Carr???

36 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

David Carr???

Might be the only guy I would agree an organization and staff ruined but it was an expansion team which is a unique situation

He even was offered starting jobs after the Texans but always chose to sign with teams he would be a back up (believe there was a rumor the bills tried to sign him to be a starter) 

But yeah david Carr got royally screwed and put into a losing situation and probably was scared away from playing football 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Makes me almost want to get an Athletic subscription.  Is it worth it?

I don’t have one myself, but I’ve heard/read many times that it is well worth it. Very good content at a minimal cost Ive heard. There is just so much content out there already I never bothered. I have enough subscriptions on a lot of topics already. 

JP was over-drafted here out of need and was never given a great chance. That was NOT his fault. Where you land as a QB makes a WORLD of difference! Glad to hear things seem to be going well for him. I liked the way he seemed to embrace the community. Smart move, especially back then. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Has many very well written articles, sometimes a bit more lengthy than I'd like.  Your subscription gives you access to all sports all teams, can choose which teams to follow and they show up in your favorites.  Just read a good article on how Isaiah Thomas messed up the Knicks, there was a full 2 round mock draft with each selection by the teams beat writer.  Believe there are podcasts for teams of choice too.

They have offers for new subscribers too.  Believe full price is $60 a year?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

5 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Worked at a joint right around the corner from where he lived in Buffalo, he came in for brunch all summer. Super nice dude.

Awesome to hear always figured he would be the opposite. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by ALLEN1QB

Losman was drafted in 2004, and spent most of his rookie year injured. Because of the injury he didn't get to practice much as a rookie, though he still had the benefit of film study and mental reps. Then in 2005 he and Holcomb battled for the starting position. The Bills' OL was truly terrible that year. In 2006 Losman was the undisputed starter, and had the best year of his career. In 2007, his fourth in the NFL, Losman again found himself in a QB battle--this time with Trent Edwards. In 2008 Losman served as Trent Edwards' backup. He appeared in 5 games, and had 104 passing attempts. (Roughly 25% of a season's worth of snaps.)

In a nutshell, Losman had a rookie year in which to study, + 3 years of being the full-time or part-time starter + 1 year of playing ~25% of the snaps as a backup = 5 years of opportunity. Five years is plenty of time to give to a quarterback, especially one who should never have been drafted in the first round to begin with.

7 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Worked at a joint right around the corner from where he lived in Buffalo, he came in for brunch all summer. Super nice dude.

He was family friends of a friend of mine. By all accounts he is good people. He actually 1. Lived in city limits and 2. Stayed here almost all year long. It is and was refreshing. 

How many players, QB or otherwise, talk about loving Buffalo, or whatever city they play for, only to pack up and go to California, Florida, or where ever as soon as the clock hits zero on the final game of the season. 

“I want to call Buffalo home forever”

-95% of current and former Bills players on Instagram from their homes in California.

6 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I remember listening to that game on the radio. Two 83 yard TDs to number 83...

I was at that game. It was fun! Melvin Fowler’s parents grabbed me as I was hanging out cheering as the players left the field, and brought me down to meet Melvin hang out with the players and their friends and family before they got on their bus. Such a cool experience. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

Really?

Really.

That's the way it's always seemed. Losman started slow, with the injury and being behind Bledsoe. Then rather than let Bledsoe stay and making JP play his way into the lineup, they got rid of Bledsoe, which turned a lot of players and fans against Losman, who was correctly being perceived as being handed the job without earning it. But it wasn't Losman who got rid of Bledsoe, it was the coaches.

Then he played really promisingly in 2006, improving a ton. He wasn't there yet, but he was really headed in the right direction. He had started developing a style, which was that he was a gunslinger, a guy who was really good at evading rushes, buying time and hitting guys off a scramble. He made too many mistakes, but had only thrown about 650 NFL passes. He was still young, learning and developing, and he'd always been a developmental prospect.

More, they put him behind terrible lines. The best way to describe those lines was basically Jason Peters and four guys who weren't good enough to be journeymen (Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler Chris Villarrial in the last year of his career as he fell apart, and Terrance Pennington were the most frequent starters, though Tutan Reyes got six starts, as did Duke Preston. 

He still improved and looked promising.

So they fired the OC and brought in a guy who decided to go directly against Losman's abilities. He was a scrambler, a gunslinger and a risk taker with a monster arm and a good connection with the fleet Lee Evans.

Instead of trying to smooth the rough edges off, they tried to turn him into a Brady-style, timing-route hitting guy throwing short passes. The new coaches, Fairchild in particular, made sure to avoid his strengths and get him to play as much as possible in his areas of weakness. 

He regressed and was never the same.

He was handled really badly here. 

It's impossible to know whether or not he'd have succeeded if he'd been handled well. But he absolutely was handled badly. They minimized his chances.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I read this yesterday. Good article and good luck to Losman. He definitely rubbed some people the wrong way but I can remember reading all the articles about him back then and he did put in a lot of work during off seasons to try and be a part of the community and improve his game. It just never came together for him.

I've always said that Losman had a great deep ball and threw some great bombs during his time with the Bills. What he struggled with was the processing and intermediate throws. Who knows how much better he would have done with a better coaching staff and ownership, I'm guessing he would never have been a great one but he may have lasted a little longer.

He seems to be really enjoying his new career and I hope he finds himself back in the NFL one day as a coordinator. It'd be good for him to get a second shot at having some success in the pros and it would make him feel a lot better about how his playing career ended up

• Like (+1) 3

I always rooted for Losman -- probably the QB I rooted for the most during the drought outside of Fitzpatrick.   He was definitely overdrafted, which was not his fault.  It is clear now he was never any good but he did show a bit of promise for the one year.

The Bills' oline was pretty much horrible in pass protection the whole time during the drought but his was probably one of the worse during the whole era.  It was such a pleasure and shock watching Allen seemingly have 10 seconds to scan the field during the last quarter of the regular season last year.  I thought this only happened with teams the Bills were playing.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Behind a pay wall, but pretty good article written about him.  Currently he's the offensive analyst coach at Clemson.  Many good things written about him, very humble, extremely smart, etc.  Didn't realize he spent a year working with B Daboll in Miami too.  Didn't plan on coaching, started out coaching at a HS in Conn and realized it was his calling.

https://theathletic.com/2537042/2021/04/23/ex-bills-qb-j-p-losman-didnt-let-his-disappointing-nfl-career-define-him-instead-he-found-his-calling-at-clemson/?source=dailyemail

what’s the saying 

Those who can’t do, coach 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/23/2021 at 7:17 PM, Arkady Renko said:

Its absolutely worth it.  Its the only subscription of any kind that I pay for.  The Bills writers Joe Buscaglia and Matt Fairburn do so many great stories and analysis.  Then John Vogl focuses on Sabres.  He's got tough assignment.  Also Tim Graham simply paints on a broader canvas.   He'll do Bills/Sabres stories, but also stretches to general Buffalo sports stories that are totally captivating.  

Buscaglia focuses heavily on analysis; post-game, draft, roster and such.  Fairburn does Bills analysis, but also these kinds of great stories.  One of the best ones he did was a feature on Ike Boettger.  It was mid-season, right after the Seahawks games, where the team just dominated.  The personal interest story seemed initially weird on the heels of that game, but he really brought it together well tying it to the game as it coincided w/ Boettger's first start.  Reaching beyond the Bills/Sabres, Graham did an outstanding story on ex-wrestler Lex Luger who went to Orchard Park HS and has fallen on some very hard times.  He also did a great story on Stevie Johnson.

All of its worth the $!

Edited by cage
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Age has a way of dealing with arrogance and uses a bit of humility to put life into perspective and then you can realize where you need to be .

Glad things are good for him i always hoped he'd do good for the Bills but i did for a lot of others too .

• Like (+1) 1

I always rooted for Losman. I have no idea why, but he was one of my favorite “failed” QB’s. He brought physical talent to the table that we didn’t see in any QB until Allen, and that’s what I liked. Losman was a guy who could at least make things exciting with his deep ball ability. I am a little surprised by the coaching success. I never saw him as a cerebral player, and thought his inability to understand the game actually held him back. People do mature, and life is a continuous learning experience, so I’ll give him credit. 

• Like (+1) 1