Orlando Brown traded to the Chiefs for 1st Rd Pick

Maybe we just played a bad game vs. the Chiefs.  Sometimes you lose, lick your wounds and move on.  We've got a few guys heading into year #3 who might just get to their "ceiling."  Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edmunds, Knox.  We signed some nice pieces in the offseason.  I like our chances.  I'd suggest a super fast cornerback and maybe Oweh, who can outrun just about everybody on the field.  We need to focus on our team rather than the Chiefs.  While we're looking at them there are other teams getting much better.

Focus on us, not them.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really like this trade for the Ravens with all the draft picks and they already had a LT who is better than Brown. Otoh The chiefs didn’t get better, they  just filled a hole they created by cutting Fisher and now missing a lot of draft capital they need to build up cheap labor m for their roster because they have so much top heavy contracts. And they need to pay Brown. 

You are right.  Chiefs are employing an interesting strategy that has worked well so far.  If they can keep their 7-8 stars healthy

and playing at elite levels they can absorb the risk, if they can't they open themselves up to what happen to them in the SB.

Only time will tell how it works in the long run.  Brown will want $20M per year so we'll see if he signs with the Chiefs or if he is just

an expensive rental.  It seems to me they are expecting the cap to go up more than many think.

Edited by ColoradoBills

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I seriously wonder why some of you even root for this team

Poyer and Hyde are one of the best safety tandems in the league

We resigned the top RT free agent in free agency

We can do this all day....just because KC won LAST year does not mean our team will not continue its improvement and beat them this year

Last year you were probably talking about how the Pats was a guaranteed 2 losses

We are talking Elite level talent. Guys that would show up on a top 100 players list or top player at position list. That is not being negative. The Bills have a ton of good players and very good roster. The point was KC has been able to add more elite level players. Brown could be argued as the best Tackle in the league or at least be in that conversation, just like Thuney at G. This was not a complain about the Bills thread it was about KC being able to add a guy like Brown for not a ton of assets. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are well ran organizations, they hit on a lot of their draft picks year after year. We are starting to catch up, but I need to see better D picks panning out. 

I have no doubt the Ravens will draft two immediate stud starters in the first plus load up with more with the chiefs picks in the mid rounds 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Pittsburgh and Baltimore are well ran organizations, they hit on a lot of their draft picks year after year. We are starting to catch up, but I need to see better D picks panning out. 

You want to see better D picks?  Check your PMs.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really like this trade for the Ravens with all the draft picks and they already had a LT who is better than Brown. Otoh The chiefs didn’t get better, they  just filled a hole they created by cutting Fisher and now missing a lot of draft capital they need to build up cheap labor m for their roster because they have so much top heavy contracts. And they need to pay Brown. 

I would call this wishful thinking.

The odds of getting a very good player at #45 are maybe 35%-40% at that point.   Orlando Brown is AT LEAST a very good player.

Maybe they get lucky and draft another Ray Lewis with that pick........or maybe Brown gets injured or loses his mind or whatever.........but it's definitely an L in real time........they aren't likely to replace that talent and they've aided a conference rival.

For comparison,  I think if the Bills could get a Danielle Hunter in this kind of value exchange I think the board would be delighted. 

As for the Chiefs replacing Fisher.........I've said it before.......not all solid LT's give you 10 years.    They got 8 from him.   The Bills will be lucky to get that many seasons of  Dion Dawkins, which is a good reason why LT should be in their sights.  

• Agree 2

On 4/23/2021 at 3:22 PM, JimKellyTryouts said:

Groan 

I'm surprised the Ravens couldn't have gotten a better haul, and that they willingly traded a pro bowl OT to KC of all teams, a direct competitor for this conference 

Odds are he'll get an extension, too - Pat went from getting demolished in the SB to now having Thuney and Brown on his line...

I think there is something going on with brown that might come apparent in KC

This is rough equivalent a.ie to whrn Buffalo trading up to the Brngles in the draft sending OT to cincinati

Hard to see what the Ravens are thinking here, the Chiefs are the team to beat and they had a significant hole in their o line. Whatever the reason for moving Brown, they have bailed out their no. 1 rival for AFC Champion. That is difficult to understand.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Hard to see what the Ravens are thinking here, the Chiefs are the team to beat and they had a significant hole in their o line. Whatever the reason for moving Brown, they have bailed out their no. 1 rival for AFC Champion. That is difficult to understand.

Agreed. You have to wonder if Baltimore would have been better off trying to package Brown in a trade to move up the draft board similarly to what the Bills did with Cordy Glenn. Giving a 2nd Round pick back to KC in that trade was not good, IMO. As you said, KC is their #1 roadblock in the AFC. If they want your OT, make them pay a premium.

I want to point out again because it seems to be misunderstood.  KC cut both tackles because BOTH sustained injuries that will likely cause one to retire (Schwartz) and the other to likely miss the entire season (Fisher). Both were in the final years of their deals.  There was no reason to absorb the cap hits for both of them as they weren’t playing and their contracts were expiring.

We Lost then both to injury, not the cap.  

Also, Schwartz was lost very early.  Duvarnay- Tardiff opted out, his replacement. Osimele, tore up his knee in week 5 and was lost for the year.  And it just got worse.  KC had 11 different O linemen start at least one game.  And by the time KC reached the Super Bowl the starting O line was 3rd string LT, 3rd string RG, 1st string C 2nd string LG, 3rd string RT

It wasn’t due to a lack of depth or planning. KC just ended up finally running out of dudes at the very end of the roster.  No team is 3 deep at O line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Agreed. You have to wonder if Baltimore would have been better off trying to package Brown in a trade to move up the draft board similarly to what the Bills did with Cordy Glenn. Giving a 2nd Round pick back to KC in that trade was not good, IMO. As you said, KC is their #1 roadblock in the AFC. If they want your OT, make them pay a premium.

Decosta wanted quantity over quality.  Like he said, drafting is luck and the more the more picks you have, the better your chances of getting a good player.  

they really do have a bunch of holes and the ravens are the kings of the kid round gems.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Decosta wanted quantity over quality.  Like he said, drafting is luck and the more the more picks you have, the better your chances of getting a good player.  

they really do have a bunch of holes and the ravens are the kings of the kid round gems.

I generally agree with the philosophy of trading down to acquire more picks because it gives you the latitude to have more misses with your swings or to keep moving around. I just don't think they made KC pay a premium. That 2nd Rounder should have been a non-starter, IMO.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Personally I think they did get better but then I was never a big Eric Fisher guy. He was overdrafted and then overpaid. I think Orlando Brown was a better LT in the half of 2020 that he played there than Fisher was over the season. But it does create another guy they have to pay pretty soon. If they had drafted a guy at #31 that was cheap labour for 4 years and cost controlled labour for 5. 

• Like (+1) 2