Orlando Brown traded to the Chiefs for 1st Rd Pick

7 hours ago, nucci said:

they lost both starting tackles so it makes sense

That’s because they CUT BOTH starting tackles.  So they add Thuney, Brown ,and Long comes back after a year off. They are set on the o line ; we couldn’t get to mahomes with the two guys they cut , we have added little to bolster our rush with hughes, Addison each a year older, so they address Their main weakness and Reid et al continue to be front runners easily in the AFC.  I don’t get how we could not have addressed our rush in more productive way; heck even the Browns with a premier rusher like Garret added Clowney. We won’t significantly bolster our rush with edge guys available at 30 in the draft, so this doesn’t seem like much progress for our chances to be more competitive with the Chiefs or Tampa Bay.  That’s why IMHO at 30 you add another offensive weapon ( one of the two top backs) because we better be able to avg 33-35 pts a game because nothing so far about our D makes me think we can stop top tier offenses. 

Signing our own FA was great, but we didn’t beat KC or the Titans last year and I doubt we could stop Cleveland’s run oriented offens( it’s better than Baltimore because they at least have a capable QB with play action), so I think we need to put pressure on teams by scoring because we have done nothing impressive with our D and are depending on Star to be a stabilizing factor. That doesn’t put pressure on Mahomes, esp with their new line. KC always seems to be a step ahead of us and they are not afraid to go after impact players every year. Beane has been very good, but has made little progress creating a D line that can impact games. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

At this year’s pre-draft news conference, DeCosta revealed that the Ravens’ draft success -- 32 Pro Bowl players and three first-ballot Hall of Fame inductees in 25 years -- isn’t really a secret.

It’s a luck-driven process,” DeCosta said. "If you have more picks, you’re going to hit on more players.

Good find. Yes, luck is a huge part of it, and you still have to pick good players with the picks, but my point was more in line with this part of his quote. A better hit rate is attributable, even if only a little bit, to more bites at the apple. They typically seem to position themselves quite well on that front with additional picks outside of their original 7. 

4 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Step three: Get that pro bowl DE similar to way KC just got their LT. Now we need someone that faired we'll against OB in the past.

This past season Orlando Brown allowed 0 sacks and 0 hits on 389 pass attempts. Finding someone who fared well against him could be difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are right that bolstering the offense should be the Bills priority.     You can't force it when trying to add a more dynamic RB or TE.  If they aren't there......they aren't there.   It wasn't there when KC drafted CEHelaire and they ended up using a premium pick on a modest talent.

This offseason the Chiefs are doing what you are talking about, but doing it the right way.    They are putting the money in the OL.    That's where the Bills can find the most value as well.  

The more time that Josh Allen has to throw the ball the more dangerous all of his current weapons become.   With better run blocking and scheme specific RB's you can be dynamic on the ground without a 1st round RB.    

About a month ago I wanted the Bills to use their first round pick on an OG. Ideally the next Ruben Brown. Now, I'm leaning more towards WR. I have three reasons for that:

1) Based on players available, I believe the Bills could probably get a better football player at WR than at OG.

2) The Lamp signing hopefully lessened the need for an OG.

3) Sanders and Beasley are both on the wrong side of 30, and both will be free agents after this season.

So, I could see the Bills taking a WR, bringing him along slowly as a rookie, then have him take the place of the departing Sanders. He'd have his whole career in front of him, with which to develop chemistry with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

More than 

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

That’s because they CUT BOTH starting tackles.  So they add Thuney, Brown ,and Long comes back after a year off. They are set on the o line ; we couldn’t get to mahomes with the two guys they cut , we have added little to bolster our rush with hughes, Addison each a year older, so they address Their main weakness and Reid et al continue to be front runners easily in the AFC.

I don’t get how we could not have addressed our rush in more productive way; heck even the Browns with a premier rusher like Garret added Clowney. We won’t significantly bolster our rush with edge guys available at 30 in the draft, so this doesn’t seem like much progress for our chances to be more competitive with the Chiefs or Tampa Bay.  That’s why IMHO at 30 you add another offensive weapon ( one of the two top backs) because we better be able to avg 33-35 pts a game because nothing so far about our D makes me think we can stop top tier offenses. 

"The Bills’ defense had its issues throughout the regular season, but the pass rush wasn’t one of those problems. They were particularly effective at getting to the quarterback quickly, recording a 25% pressure rate in 2.5 seconds or less that trailed only the Steelers. Getting to the quarterback is good, and getting to the quarterback quickly is even better.

Once again, their leader was Jerry Hughes, who generated pressure and won his pass-rushing reps much more consistently than one would expect from an edge defender with just 4.5 sacks on the season. That seems to be a common theme over the past several years. Since 2018, Hughes ranks sixth among edge defenders in total pressures (175) but tied for just 42nd in sacks (16.0)." https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-pass-rush-rankings

I get the impression the Bills want to see what they have with Star returning and another year in for AJ, Oliver & Co. Yes, they still need that one dominant pass rusher and Beane has attempted to find one, Mack, Watt. There are still some out there. 

Looking at 2021, might be Christian Wade's last chance to make the final roster. Plus, the Bills have Antonio Williams, Matt Breida. I'm not so concerned in adding another RB in the draft. 

Lastly, If the Refs don't allow the Chiefs secondary to hold like crazy in that AFC Championship game with their "sticky defense", that they didn't allow in the SB. Its an entirely different game IMHO. Let's see how the Bills do this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Thanks for giving KC a quality OT Ravens......I hope KC knocks the Ravens out on their way to losing to us this year.

13 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

How is KC able to fit so many large contracts? (I'm assuming KC is gonna get a long term deal in place.) And how do we compete?

By

Not having all of our WR's injured by the time we play them

Being able to at least get first downs running the ball

Have a defense that can cover TE's

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chiefs are going to manhandle us. 

Scared......get a dog

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Bills have Allen. Diggs and White as elite level players

Chiefs have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Clark, Mathieu and arguably both Thuney and Brown as Elite level players.

I seriously wonder why some of you even root for this team

Poyer and Hyde are one of the best safety tandems in the league

We resigned the top RT free agent in free agency

We can do this all day....just because KC won LAST year does not mean our team will not continue its improvement and beat them this year

Last year you were probably talking about how the Pats was a guaranteed 2 losses

• Dislike 1

12 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

0 hits and 0 sacks allowed on 389 pass attempts last year.  2 time pro bowl.  The guy is real good.

That would be impressive if Falco was the QB but it was Lamar.

(BTW I know his name is Flacco ) ;) 

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I seriously wonder why some of you even root for this team

Poyer and Hyde are one of the best safety tandems in the league

We resigned the top RT free agent in free agency

We can do this all day....just because KC won LAST year does not mean our team will not continue its improvement and beat them this year

Last year you were probably talking about how the Pats was a guaranteed 2 losses

He is right though. Elite level talent we are out gunned. We have more depth than KC. But elite level playmakers we have three guys - Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Tre White. I'd take Frank Clark out of his list for the Chiefs... he is more akin to the guys we have - Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins... really good starters but not elite level.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He is right though. Elite level talent we are out gunned. We have more depth than KC. But elite level playmakers we have three guys - Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Tre White. I'd take Frank Clark out of his list for the Chiefs... he is more akin to the guys we have - Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins... really good starters but not elite level.

We need to be looking at how the bucs did it and mimic it

9 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

About a month ago I wanted the Bills to use their first round pick on an OG. Ideally the next Ruben Brown. Now, I'm leaning more towards WR. I have three reasons for that:

1) Based on players available, I believe the Bills could probably get a better football player at WR than at OG.

3) Sanders and Beasley are both on the wrong side of 30, and both will be free agents after this season.

So, I could see the Bills taking a WR, bringing him along slowly as a rookie, then have him take the place of the departing Sanders. He'd have his whole career in front of him, with which to develop chemistry with Josh Allen.

Welcome brother.....let's score more points, together lol. For real though, the defense will get some help, but it's gonna take 2 offseasons. We can still probably get a corner and 1tech. The pass rusher will probably be next year unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Yeah I wouldn't advocate drafting an interior lineman in round 1........I think you gotta' use those picks on players at big money, key positions you would struggle to address in free agency (QB/pass rush/LT/CB1/WR1).   The fact that we can envision Lamp being a very good guard illustrates why.   You aren't getting any kind of potential LT for minimum wage in free agency.

But I think there is a good chance they can address a  big money position like LT and put him at guard and excel while he develops as a potential replacement for Dawkins when his deal expires or if he is lost to injury.

Or as you suggest, get a WR.   I like Terrace Marshall who I think can play all 3 WR spots and be a potential deep threat, seam stretcher and red zone option.......all also sneaky needs for a Bills WR corps with a lot of duplicate skill sets.    Some people like the slot WR types there.......I'm not as high on that type that early.

If the best player at #30 is a guy they think can become a great pass rusher or a potential #1 CB....then I am fine with that....individual talent can change games at those positions even if they aren't receiving a lot of help around them.    But, even though it's less gratifying to address a strength,  all things being equal they would be wise to keep surrounding the franchise player with talent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I wouldn't advocate drafting an interior lineman in round 1........I think you gotta' use those picks on players at big money, key positions you would struggle to address in free agency (QB/pass rush/LT/CB1/WR1).   The fact that we can envision Lamp being a very good guard illustrates why.   You aren't getting any kind of potential LT for minimum wage in free agency.

But I think there is a good chance they can address a  big money position like LT and put him at guard and excel while he develops as a potential replacement for Dawkins when his deal expires or if he is lost to injury.

Or as you suggest, get a WR.   I like Terrace Marshall who I think can play all 3 WR spots and be a potential deep threat, seam stretcher and red zone option.......all also sneaky needs for a Bills WR corps with a lot of duplicate skill sets.    Some people like the slot WR types there.......I'm not as high on that type that early.

If the best player at #30 is a guy they think can become a great pass rusher or a potential #1 CB....then I am fine with that....individual talent can change games at those positions even if they aren't receiving a lot of help around them.    But, even though it's less gratifying to address a strength,  all things being equal they would be wise to keep surrounding the franchise player with talent.

I like Marshall a lot too. I've even been debating if sneaking up to maybe 25 or so to ensure him would be prudent and more important, could it be done with our 2 5ths, or a pick next year? 

11 hours ago, DrPJax said:

That’s because they CUT BOTH starting tackles.  So they add Thuney, Brown ,and Long comes back after a year off. They are set on the o line ; we couldn’t get to mahomes with the two guys they cut , we have added little to bolster our rush with hughes, Addison each a year older, so they address Their main weakness and Reid et al continue to be front runners easily in the AFC.  I don’t get how we could not have addressed our rush in more productive way; heck even the Browns with a premier rusher like Garret added Clowney. We won’t significantly bolster our rush with edge guys available at 30 in the draft, so this doesn’t seem like much progress for our chances to be more competitive with the Chiefs or Tampa Bay.  That’s why IMHO at 30 you add another offensive weapon ( one of the two top backs) because we better be able to avg 33-35 pts a game because nothing so far about our D makes me think we can stop top tier offenses. 

Signing our own FA was great, but we didn’t beat KC or the Titans last year and I doubt we could stop Cleveland’s run oriented offens( it’s better than Baltimore because they at least have a capable QB with play action), so I think we need to put pressure on teams by scoring because we have done nothing impressive with our D and are depending on Star to be a stabilizing factor. That doesn’t put pressure on Mahomes, esp with their new line. KC always seems to be a step ahead of us and they are not afraid to go after impact players every year. Beane has been very good, but has made little progress creating a D line that can impact games. 

The answer all along was that they should bolster the offense.    They struggled offensively in the playoffs.   Some of their success last season was due to the newness of it.   I think they believe they have been improving their offense with the OL signings and re-signings and Sanders and Breida.   But it's not time to stop.  I completely agree that averaging 35 points per game should be a serious objective.   That's do-able in todays game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I like Marshall a lot too. I've even been debating if sneaking up to maybe 25 or so to ensure him would be prudent and more important, could it be done with our 2 5ths, or a pick next year? 

Oh they definitely have the capital to move up........I would really like to see them use all those picks though.    I know there is this notion out there that 7 draft picks can't make the team.........and Beane has at times fed this narrative in past offseason.........but I think you want those swings.   One of the reasons Beane has had to spend so much on depth in free agency the past few offseason is because he has traded up a lot.   The batting average is higher filling gaps with vets but cap space is tight and the market might not be as flooded in coming offseasons........ that's when it's nice to have depth on sub $1M contracts for the back end of the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Really like this trade for the Ravens with all the draft picks and they already had a LT who is better than Brown. Otoh The chiefs didn’t get better, they  just filled a hole they created by cutting Fisher and now missing a lot of draft capital they need to build up cheap labor m for their roster because they have so much top heavy contracts. And they need to pay Brown. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1