Orlando Brown traded to the Chiefs for 1st Rd Pick

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really like this trade for the Ravens with all the draft picks and they already had a LT who is better than Brown. Otoh The chiefs didn’t get better, they  just filled a hole they created by cutting Fisher and now missing a lot of draft capital they need to build up cheap labor m for their roster because they have so much top heavy contracts. And they need to pay Brown. 

Yep. 100%. Ravens got something for a player they were going to let walk. Brown is good but wants big money LT. The Chiefs are mortgaging the future for a win now attitude which is kind of counterintuitive given the fact you already won a Super Bowl in 2019. Unless Andy knows he only has a few years left till he retires and wants one last shot.

Make no mistake about it, you can’t have several big cap hit contracts on a roster all at once. I know a certain Chiefs fan thinks his team figured out the loop hole, I don’t agree. You need draft picks and rookie contracts to keep maintaining success for the long haul. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think they did get better but then I was never a big Eric Fisher guy. He was overdrafted and then overpaid. I think Orlando Brown was a better LT in the half of 2020 that he played there than Fisher was over the season. But it does create another guy they have to pay pretty soon. If they had drafted a guy at #31 that was cheap labour for 4 years and cost controlled labour for 5. 

It’s questionable in my mind if they got better, won’t know until we see them this season. There is some risk with Brown, as again, he has only played half a season at LT in the NFL, and in a completely different scheme. Baltimore runs the ball the most in the NFL and that is something that plays to Brown’s strengths. Brown is a mauler at heart and is at his best playing in a down-hill gap blocking scheme where he can cover dudes up or use his power to move players off the line of scrimmage.
In KC, he will be asked to pass protect much more than he did so far in his NFL career and there is some unknown of how he will respond. He played in a spread out passing offense in college and was decent. Would likely have been drafted higher if he didn’t test like my great aunt at the combine. Either way I’ll trust the Ravens front office as usual hit a home run on this decision.  The chiefs were desperate and had a huge hole to fill and are paying for not having a succession plan behind fisher. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think they did get better but then I was never a big Eric Fisher guy. He was overdrafted and then overpaid. I think Orlando Brown was a better LT in the half of 2020 that he played there than Fisher was over the season. But it does create another guy they have to pay pretty soon. If they had drafted a guy at #31 that was cheap labour for 4 years and cost controlled labour for 5. 

The money is a non issue.  The entire starting O Line for KC has a cap hit of under $15mm this season.  Cutting Fisher and Schwartz created plenty of room.  Remember, they were ready to pay Trent Williams well in excess of $20mm per season.

I will never understand how Baltimore let Brown go for such a small return.  24 year olds who have made pro bowls at both tackle positions just don’t exist.  Trading a unicorn to your biggest obstacle to shore up their one glaring weakness for a bag of magic beans borders on malpractice.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep. 100%. Ravens got something for a player they were going to let walk. Brown is good but wants big money LT. The Chiefs are mortgaging the future for a win now attitude which is kind of counterintuitive given the fact you already won a Super Bowl in 2019. Unless Andy knows he only has a few years left till he retires and wants one last shot.

Make no mistake about it, you can’t have several big cap hit contracts on a roster all at once. I know a certain Chiefs fan thinks his team figured out the loop hole, I don’t agree. You need draft picks and rookie contracts to keep maintaining success for the long haul. 

The Chiefs last season drafted or signed UDFAs players who will start this season at RT, CB, RB, LB, and P along with heavy rotational guys at DT and DE.  They sign stars to big contracts and let solid but unspectacular players walk.  It’s really not that complicated.  Veach and Reid are willing to sacrifice their Matt Milano types because they believe they’ll find replacements for them late in the draft and let the superstars cover for any weaknesses their strategy creates.

Hoping top teams eventually collapse under the weight of the salary cap is a failed strategy.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

So long as Mahomes is Mahomes I suspect they'll be in contention every year.... they are clearly the best team in the AFC and probably the league on paper as it stands right now, so I don't see how this move really jeopardizes their future. 

We can see things differently. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s questionable in my mind if they got better, won’t know until we see them this season. There is some risk with Brown, as again, he has only played half a season at LT in the NFL, and in a completely different scheme. Baltimore runs the ball the most in the NFL and that is something that plays to Brown’s strengths. Brown is a mauler at heart and is at his best playing in a down-hill gap blocking scheme where he can cover dudes up or use his power to move players off the line of scrimmage.
In KC, he will be asked to pass protect much more than he did so far in his NFL career and there is some unknown of how he will respond. He played in a spread out passing offense in college and was decent. Would likely have been drafted higher if he didn’t test like my great aunt at the combine. Either way I’ll trust the Ravens front office as usual hit a home run on this decision.  The chiefs were desperate and had a huge hole to fill and are paying for not having a succession plan behind fisher. 

Brown will be better than 2020 Fisher. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Billl said:

The money is a non issue.  The entire starting O Line for KC has a cap hit of under $15mm this season.  Cutting Fisher and Schwartz created plenty of room.  Remember, they were ready to pay Trent Williams well in excess of $20mm per season.

I will never understand how Baltimore let Brown go for such a small return.  24 year olds who have made pro bowls at both tackle positions just don’t exist.  Trading a unicorn to your biggest obstacle to shore up their one glaring weakness for a bag of magic beans borders on malpractice.

LOL this was definitely my intiail reaction

They had two of the best tackles in the league, I'm a guy who wants the best Dline and Oline in the league and would pay and aggressively pursue that goal if I was a gm so to me if I'm the ravens I have to get Staley, Brown, OL coach, Head Coach, Myself and whatever lawyers/reps are necessary and tell em we are not leaving until we can come to some agreement.

Of course this doesnt mean it could have been worked and maybe they tried talking to him/them and still werent able to figure it out, but boy I sure woulda tried.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I want to point out again because it seems to be misunderstood.  KC cut both tackles because BOTH sustained injuries that will likely cause one to retire (Schwartz) and the other to likely miss the entire season (Fisher). Both were in the final years of their deals.  There was no reason to absorb the cap hits for both of them as they weren’t playing and their contracts were expiring.

We Lost then both to injury, not the cap.  

Also, Schwartz was lost very early.  Duvarnay- Tardiff opted out, his replacement. Osimele, tore up his knee in week 5 and was lost for the year.  And it just got worse.  KC had 11 different O linemen start at least one game.  And by the time KC reached the Super Bowl the starting O line was 3rd string LT, 3rd string RG, 1st string C 2nd string LG, 3rd string RT

It wasn’t due to a lack of depth or planning. KC just ended up finally running out of dudes at the very end of the roster.  No team is 3 deep at O line.  

You guys did really well with Brown and Thuney. You guys clearly got the best of the KC/Ravens trade. Brown is a top notch LT and you guys gave up very little in compensation. You guys clearly have some really decent pieces to build around on that OL. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Brown will be better than 2020 Fisher. 

Yolo's take is mostly based off the trust of the Ravens history as a team that handles the draft well.

The overall body of work is good but many of their high profile individual moves have been bad.

The last 4 times they were picking late in round one they selected Breshad Perriman, Hayden Hurst, Hollywood Brown and Patrick Queen.

Hurst surely didn't play like a first round TE but trading him was often cited as a reason why their offensive production dropped almost a TD per game.

Brown and Queen are still with the team but Brown has underwhelmed and Queen was probably the worst MLB in the league last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Can anyone hear say it with me THE CAP IS A JOKE! Good job Chiefs attacking your weaknesses once again. Show our guys running our team that continuity isn't everything unless you continue to get your butts kicked by the same team over and over again. Which btw is coming once again .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/23/2021 at 10:18 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Am I the only one who was confused about Orlando Brown? I thought it was the dude that got hit in the eye with the flag. Then, I just googled him, and this is his son. I guess both father and son were OT’s for the ravens.

He's the guy that his man tities were flying all over the place during his 40 at the combine. He dropped to the 3rd I believe and has made everyone look foolish for not drafting were he was originally supposed to go in the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billl said:

Hoping top teams eventually collapse under the weight of the salary cap is a failed strategy.

There were many here who, after Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz were let go on the same day, firmly believed KC wouldn't or couldn't recover for 2021.  

Funny how things can change.  6 weeks later the Chiefs have changed their OL in effectively 1 off-season by acquiring Kyle Long, Orlando Brown, and Joe Thuney. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1