Orlando Brown traded to the Chiefs for 1st Rd Pick

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Orlando Brown is a really good player too.  Big boy, 2 time pro bowler - he's on an expiring deal so i wonder if this came down to money.  KC only gets him for a year cheap.  If they're investing a 1st i wonder if they're parking him on the left next to Thuney.

The reason Brown was unhappy in Baltimore is because he wanted to stay at LT, where he played the 2nd half of last season.

The Poe-birds have Ronnie Stanley locked up at LT for 5 more years.  They need a guy who is willing to play right tackle.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Yeah, I'm betting Brown wants an extension and the Chiefs want him extended.

I think Brown is a good player, and probably the best LT the Chiefs could acquire this season and at a relative bargain price. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think pass-blocking for the Chiefs and pass-blocking for the Ravens are quite the same thing.  We'll see I guess.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, Then.  That answers at least one of the questions "what, exactly, does KC intend to do about its OL?"

Cut.  Not lost, Cut.

Lost to injury, then cut.  Brett Veach GMs like he’s playing Madden.  After the defense cost the team a championship in 2018, he rolled with 8 new starters in 2019.  After the OL did the same last season, he’s replaced all 5 including 2 Pro Bowlers (not counting Long).  He’s the polar opposite of Beane which shows there’s more than one way to build a top tier roster.

I still maintain that Beane needs to focus on players with superstar level upside even if it means he’s going to have some holes on the roster to work around.  That doesn’t seem to be his M.O., though.  He’s built a roster with no weak links, but it’s lacking superstars.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

That's a lot of picks (I know equivalent to a 2nd) for a tackle who will want an expensive contract. Not having all those picks is going to come back to bite them, as those are valuable, low-dollar draft picks who help build a franchise. 

Brown is cheap now, but with all their other high-dollar players, how are they going to pay him? What if he walks next year? That's a ton for a guy they might not have under contract but for one year.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Going all-in for this year. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and then out of their price range.

No.  KC was going to pay Trent Williams.  You can bet KC will extend or Tag then exten Brown, and as I have said before, the cap doesn’t matter if your owner writes bonus checks every year and you kick that can each year as the cap goes up.  This is NOT a problem as far as money at all.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a good trade for both sides. KC will not have a lot of capital left to address their defense, and they do have serious needs at CB, edge rusher, and LB. But anyone who watched the Super Bowl knows protecting Mahomes is the priority. Bills need to be prepared to just outscore them next year if we want to compete.

it’s an offense driven league.  If I’m the bills I go get a dynamic RB and try and upgrade the TE spot.  Allen and the O are where your best chance is to win

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

KC needed to do something to protect Mahomes...and they still need a starting RT. 

What's next?

Watch the draft now for C Creed Humphrey....KC has a pair of 2’s to help them jump the Steelers and/or Raiders

1 hour ago, Kangaxx said:

How is everyone so confident he'll be great in a passing offence?

This is a legit concern I have.  Blocking for Jackson is a lot different than for most QBs

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Bills have Allen. Diggs and White as elite level players

Chiefs have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Clark, Mathieu and arguably both Thuney and Brown as Elite level players.

Right. They have more than we do. Like i said we need more

17 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

No.  KC was going to pay Trent Williams.  You can bet KC will extend or Tag then exten Brown, and as I have said before, the cap doesn’t matter if your owner writes bonus checks every year and you kick that can each year as the cap goes up.  This is NOT a problem as far as money at all.

it’s an offense driven league.  If I’m the bills I go get a dynamic RB and try and upgrade the TE spot.  Allen and the O are where your best chance is to win

Watch the draft now for C Creed Humphrey....KC has a pair of 2’s to help them jump the Steelers and/or Raiders

This is a legit concern I have.  Blocking for Jackson is a lot different than for most QBs

Almost chance they trade up IMO.  If they do, it’s going to be for a WR, but there are so many available in that area of the draft that there would have to be one they REALLY like in order to move up.

The Ravens had a guy who didn't want to play RT(they have Staley at LT) and who would be a free agent next year.  The fact that they got anything is a testament to KC's need at LT.

It's helpful for both teams. 

KC's Oline- Guards- Long, Allegretti, Thuney, Duvernay-Tardif

Tackles- Brown, Remmers, Williams, Niang, Rankin, Wanogho

Barring injuries they are all set, they have 4 starting level guards.

Ravens - G/C- Colon, Bredeson, Phillips, Powers, Zeitler, Boseman, Mekari, Mancz

Tackles- Andre Smith, Ronnie Staley

Obviously created a need at tackle, too bad they had two premium tackles and Brown is younger than Staley

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

The nfc is so disappointing this offseason.  It’s as if they’ve all given up

If the Bills can get past KC I really don't see any team other than TB and GB talent wise being an issue from the NFC. They really have become a lackluster conference.

• Like (+1) 2

I heard about this driving home from work on the FAN here in Baltimore. The consensus take is that he is a far better RT than LT and not even close in talent to Ronnie Stanley who will be returning from injury. Once he became a malcontent, there was no problem shipping him off when the deal was right. They don’t like that he was traded to the rival Chiefs, but consensus again is that he will have issues with protecting the Rat’s blind side from speed rushers. Competent? Yes. Great? Absolutely not.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Billl said:

Lost to injury, then cut.  Brett Veach GMs like he’s playing Madden.  After the defense cost the team a championship in 2018, he rolled with 8 new starters in 2019.  After the OL did the same last season, he’s replaced all 5 including 2 Pro Bowlers (not counting Long).  He’s the polar opposite of Beane which shows there’s more than one way to build a top tier roster.

I still maintain that Beane needs to focus on players with superstar level upside even if it means he’s going to have some holes on the roster to work around.  That doesn’t seem to be his M.O., though.  He’s built a roster with no weak links, but it’s lacking superstars.

Josh Allen, Staff Diggs and Tre White say hello.

• Agree 1

I bleed Buffalo Blue But the fact of the matter is that the Bills are in their Super Bowl window right now yet are doing little to nothing to catch their current target; the chefs.

TheBills need to increase depth and talent in the offensive weapons category. We need a real TE and either an elite RB or another very dangerous WR to last the season and match the chefs. Without enough true weapons for JA we don't have a chance.

The Bills need impact players added to their nondescript defense. We need upgrades at DE, DT and CB. It doesn't look like we can get that DE in the draft, we need an accomplished veteran.  

we need somebody that can compete with or even beat Star at DT. We really need dominance from our line and we barely rise above average at times.

The Bills need more glue coverage to play more man to allow us to blitz and attack. I don't even know if that's in our coaches' blood anymore....

Please note that all of these critiques are mostly when compared to the team we have to beat, the chefs.

I really hope McBeane has the full go to do everything he needs to do to try and win vs. the chefs.

Step one: Acquire Ertz On draft day. This is one the huge adds we need imho....

Step two: Draft the best combination of a DT, CB And WR we can get.

Step three: Get that pro bowl DE similar to way KC just got their LT. Now we need someone that faired we'll against OB in the past. 

The only other option is to go for it next year maybe? I haven't looked at next year what happens to us vs. what happens to the chefs.... But the whole point of playing is to win a Super Bowl and the only way we are going to beat to the chefs is to build a better team. (I guess there is always dumb luck, the chefs could run into a swarm of injuries I guess) 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Rico said:

I heard about this driving home from work on the FAN here in Baltimore. The consensus take is that he is a far better RT than LT and not even close in talent to Ronnie Stanley who will be returning from injury. Once he became a malcontent, there was no problem shipping him off when the deal was right. They don’t like that he was traded to the rival Chiefs, but consensus again is that he will have issues with protecting the Rat’s blind side from speed rushers. Competent? Yes. Great? Absolutely not.

0 sacks allowed in 400 pass protection snaps.  I think the Chiefs will be fine, but your concern is appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Thats a great start.

22 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Thats a great start.

So Orlando Brown is finally the 1st round pick his talent always demanded. I never waivered that 2018 draft season. I don't care what he did at the underwear olympics. On pure film study he was a 1st round player. He has been a top 5 Right Tackle and made a promising start at left tackle last year. I happen to think Ronnie Stanley is the best left tackle in football right now so the Ravens couldn't promise to keep Brown on the left side, but on at least 2/3s of the league a guy who played as well at LT as Brown did down the stretch is not being shunted back to the right side.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I bleed Buffalo Blue But the fact of the matter is that the Bills are in their Super Bowl window right now yet are doing little to nothing to catch their current target; the chefs.

TheBills need to increase depth and talent in the offensive weapons category. We need a real TE and either an elite RB or another very dangerous WR to last the season and match the chefs. Without enough true weapons for JA we don't have a chance.

The Bills need impact players added to their nondescript defense. We need upgrades at DE, DT and CB. It doesn't look like we can get that DE in the draft, we need an accomplished veteran.  

we need somebody that can compete with or even beat Star at DT. We really need dominance from our line and we barely rise above average at times.

The Bills need more glue coverage to play more man to allow us to blitz and attack. I don't even know if that's in our coaches' blood anymore....

Please note that all of these critiques are mostly when compared to the team we have to beat, the chefs.

I really hope McBeane has the full go to do everything he needs to do to try and win vs. the chefs.

Step one: Acquire Ertz On draft day. This is one the huge adds we need imho....

Step two: Draft the best combination of a DT, CB And WR we can get.

Step three: Get that pro bowl DE similar to way KC just got their LT. Now we need someone that faired we'll against OB in the past. 

The only other option is to go for it next year maybe? I haven't looked at next year what happens to us vs. what happens to the chefs.... But the whole point of playing is to win a Super Bowl and the only way we are going to beat to the chefs is to build a better team. (I guess there is always dumb luck, the chefs could run into a swarm of injuries I guess) 

Bolded = the gospel regarding our current situation.  Well said

The 2nd paragraph.  I could see step 1 and 2 happening.  Step 3, I don’t think we’ll be acquiring our pass rush demon this offseason.  If we really wanted one, I think we would’ve gotten one.  We may be able to land a 1 year guy like Houston, Ingram or Kerrigan, I don’t think we’ll be adding our Frank Clark.

Beane has a long term plan.  I think he’ll veer slightly from the plan if there is a true game changer is available (via the draft, trade or FA), but is most likely focusing on trying not to become the 2020 pats for another 20 years.  He has money to work with as far as restructuring, but he will be using it at his pace.  Waiting for the perfect piece to the puzzle.....hopefully that piece comes along soon and we can get to winning super bowls