Browns pick up fifth-year options on QB Baker Mayfield, CB Denzel Ward

HOUSE

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Next Monday (5/3) is the deadline for triggering the 5th year option.

Will be interesting to see if Beane picks up Josh's. I think we all expected them to use the 5th year AND an extension, when working on Josh's new deal. You'd expect to hear about it before the draft starts at least.

This is the most uninteresting decision ever.

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Next Monday (5/3) is the deadline for triggering the 5th year option.

Will be interesting to see if Beane picks up Josh's. I think we all expected them to use the 5th year AND an extension, when working on Josh's new deal. You'd expect to hear about it before the draft starts at least.

they will obviously pick up the 5th no matter what (short of signing him this week)

Edited by NoSaint

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane made it sound like an open question in his pre-draft presser

This could just be me, but if you've got a 3 year starter who has been to 2 pro-bowls and you're waiting to see who you draft at #30 before you decide to extend him, you got a problem.

Pro-bowl means nothing. Let me know when he's an All Pro.

29 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This is the most uninteresting decision ever.

You would think. But waiting until after the draft is going to make it interesting.

It's pretty interesting because if they DONT, it means we are going to let his big 2nd contract kick in next year. Accelerating the spending instead of spreading it out.

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they will obviously pick up the 5th no matter what (short of signing him this week)

Then do it already?

23 minutes ago, TBBills said:

What's the rush? If they can get a deal done before hand, no need to rush.

They're down to 8 days to do so, and a Draft to focus on during this week.

I'm not sweating it or rushing it, but interested in watching them cut it close.

46 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You would think. But waiting until after the draft is going to make it interesting.

It's pretty interesting because if they DONT, it means we are going to let his big 2nd contract kick in next year. Accelerating the spending instead of spreading it out.

Then do it already?

I think that would make it tempting to pick up the option.  I admittedly do not understand the nuances of NFL contracts, but I remember discussion that the big money on Mahomes contract would not kick in until the extension started (so after his rookie deal runs out).  If that is the case, and the Bills pick up Josh's 5th year option, that mean the new big money 2nd contract would kick in during the 2023 season...the season that there is a big jump in the cap due to the new TV contract.  That would seem to make sense.

14 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I think that would make it tempting to pick up the option.  I admittedly do not understand the nuances of NFL contracts, but I remember discussion that the big money on Mahomes contract would not kick in until the extension started (so after his rookie deal runs out).  If that is the case, and the Bills pick up Josh's 5th year option, that mean the new big money 2nd contract would kick in during the 2023 season...the season that there is a big jump in the cap due to the new TV contract.  That would seem to make sense.

Yet, that's exactly my point of being interested. If they pick it up and extend, it allows us to spread the signing bonus over more years. If no option, then it's higher hits right away.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Baker is a game manager so I see him making game manager $.

What is your guess at a price tag for a "game manager" versus a top tier QB? 

I dont entirely agree with your presumption of him being a game manager alone. But even if he was labelled as such, his value to the team exceeds any such categorization. If he is the undisputed starter (which of course he is), can win games consistently (which he has), has a decent head on his shoulders (maybe, but not too bad) and can be the face of his franchise for years (IMO he can), then he will command top 5 or worst case, top 10 money. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They're down to 8 days to do so, and a Draft to focus on during this week.

I'm not sweating it or rushing it, but interested in watching them cut it close.

Cut it close? Cutting it close would be 5 minutes from deadline.

18 hours ago, Motorin' said:

It's bashing Edmunds to say the Bills could find someone as good in the draft?

In this particular case? 
Answer = Yes

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then do it already?

Is there some reason doing it sooner is better?

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yet, that's exactly my point of being interested. If they pick it up and extend, it allows us to spread the signing bonus over more years. If no option, then it's higher hits right away.

if they pick it up they can tear up the whole thing the next day and sign a new deal spread however they please though. 

there’s no benefit to not picking it up. 

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fifth year option or contract....no way they do neither.  

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Funny enough, if both of those Pro Bowls count, then that is the exact reason to NOT pick up the 5th year option right now.

Posted in another thread is a tweet with the guidelines that if a player makes 1 Pro Bowl the 5th year option equals the Transition Tag amount. If they made 2 Pro Bowls, the 5th year option equals the Franchise Tag amount.

Only one of the pro bowls count because he was only selected on the original ballot once.  I still think Belichick somehow rigged the pro bowl selection process this past year to get him in and make the Bills decision three million dollars more difficult.

• Like (+1) 1