Best player for immediate upgrade to our starting lineup.

gjv

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This board is great training for new parents.

It teaches how to give the same consistent answer when the kids ask the same question 100 different ways to try to trip you up.

"But why?"

"Go ask your mom."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One of the posters in another thread said he would hate RB as first pick but would be secretly excited about what it may mean to the offense - I agree with that.  

What I think is that if the Packers do not pick Newsome II CB with their selection - The Bills will be looking to get him or whomever they consider a better CB.

This is the way.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

I think a one of the top corners left, I would love to see JOK fall to us but that is a pipe dream. I think we need to come out of this draft w/ a better option at the big nickel role. The pass rushers of this class look weak esp. at # 30, finding a starter opposite 'Tre could go a long way in helping the pass rush. I don't hate Samuel either, but ideally would prefer a bigger corner opposite 'Tre.  

As a rookie poster, thanks for making a thoughtful post. And also thanks for spelling "nickel" correctly! :-)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gjv said:

With consideration to being a team good enough to be a Super Bowl contender this coming season, I was thinking about a player that COULD BE AVAILABLE TO THE BILLS AT 30, and would have the most impact in improving the starting lineup to achieve a Super Bowl appearance. I’m leaning towards Travis Etinene. Is there someone else?

A CB needs to be taken at 30, imo. That is the team's most glaring need. I don't really see DE as nearly the weakness outside coverage is. I know it's greedy to want 2 Tre Whites...but I want 2 Tre Whites. Even if Newsome and Farley don't make it to 30 (shocking if either one does) there are a bunch of CBs with speed and skill available. That's where we have to trust the Bills' ability to develop players.

3 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

One of the top 5 CBs honestly. ETN wouldn't get playing time year one because he would get Allen killed in pass pro.

If your RB is the one getting your QB killed in pass pro, you have bigger issues than your RB's ability to block.

Looking at what this team is missing and the quality of player who would be available by position at 30 - it's Etienne, if he's there. Because the RB position is devalued in the Draft these days, it's probably the biggest bang for your buck when you're picking as low as we are.

Any Edge Rusher who's left at 30 I don't see coming in and providing much more than Epenesa did and won't hop Hughes or Addison. Kind of feel the same way about DT. Can't imagine one left that far into Round 1 is hopping Oliver or Star.

Maybe Cornerback if the position slides. But although Levi is not thought of as much by fans - he is by McDermott. He always seems to fight off the competition. And much like DE - it's a highly valued position where real studs are picked way higher than 30. It's also a big learning curve position from College to the NFL. So I have a hard time seeing one coming in and immediately throwing Levi to the pine. We'd have to get real lucky with another Tre like pick there.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

One of the top 5 CBs honestly. ETN wouldn't get playing time year one because he would get Allen killed in pass pro.

Our line was top notch protecting Allen, and Moss certainly did a great job, but no way you keep the best pure runner on the bench- Etienne can hit the HR and would play.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While I like Wallace, I think another CB might have the best chance to make an impact. My rationale is the Bills play a lot of nickel and dime packages so another quality corner will get a chance to play. Also McD will want to evaluate a new corner so they can make a decision whether to move on from Wallace or not at the end of the season. Epenesa isn't going anywhere and a new rookie DE will probably not get that many snaps behind Hughes and Addison.

As for RB, while I think the quality can be upgraded and I would be fine with a RB at 30, I am not sure Daboll will commit to the run enough to make a difference. Also the run blocking is still a big question mark, so even an upgrade in talent at RB may not get you that much impact.

I think we need a upgrade at RB i think Singletary is a decent back but i didn't like the Moss pick just because they are to much alike I think we need a bigger RB but if either of the 3 top backs are there i would hope Beane would take one .

Ettienne, Harris & i can't remember 🙀 the other guy but any of them would help out the running game which is something even tough they say RB position isn't as important today you need a good back it helps all the way around ! 

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

While I like Wallace, I think another CB might have the best chance to make an impact. My rationale is the Bills play a lot of nickel and dime packages so another quality corner will get a chance to play. Also McD will want to evaluate a new corner so they can make a decision whether to move on from Wallace or not at the end of the season. Epenesa isn't going anywhere and a new rookie DE will probably not get that many snaps behind Hughes and Addison.

As for RB, while I think the quality can be upgraded and I would be fine with a RB at 30, I am not sure Daboll will commit to the run enough to make a difference. Also the run blocking is still a big question mark, so even an upgrade in talent at RB may not get you that much impact.

I'm somewhat open to running back at this point?  But it depends how the chips fall.  If you like one more than the other, do you really spend a 1st round pick on your 2nd favorite running back?  I wouldn't.  If there's a corner they like there though, they may be able to start and contribute on day 1.  

Just now, FFadpecr said:

You completely ignore ETN's impact in the passing game in the context of the Bills passing offense.

ETN can take a simple 2-yard swing pass to the house when the WRs run the defenders deep.

I think the issue still comes down to oline for the running attack - i'd be open to interior oline at 30 because i think LG should be an open comp as no one there has really shown much to me.  I like running back weapons, but the teams struggles in the red zone and short yardage situations are likely issues up front.  You're also then relegating singletary to inactive on some game days, and I'm not one to give up on a running back who has averaged 4.8 YPC and improved as a pass catcher.    

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

I'm thinking Etienne. I know pass protection could be an issue, but him coming out of the backfied, he has the ability to take a 2 yard swing pass the distance.

Breida is capable of taking a 2 yard pass the distance and we don't have to give up any draft picks, let alone a first rounder.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Looking at what this team is missing and the quality of player who would be available by position at 30 - it's Etienne, if he's there. Because the RB position is devalued in the Draft these days, it's probably the biggest bang for your buck when you're picking as low as we are.

Any Edge Rusher who's left at 30 I don't see coming in and providing much more than Epenesa did and won't hop Hughes or Addison. Kind of feel the same way about DT. Can't imagine one left that far into Round 1 is hopping Oliver or Star.

Maybe Cornerback if the position slides. But although Levi is not thought of as much by fans - he is by McDermott. He always seems to fight off the competition. And much like DE - it's a highly valued position where real studs are picked way higher than 30. It's also a big learning curve position from College to the NFL. So I have a hard time seeing one coming in and immediately throwing Levi to the pine. We'd have to get real lucky with another Tre like pick there.

A RB in the first round is, with out question and always, the worst "bang for your buck" you can get.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

22 minutes ago, Process said:

Breida is capable of taking a 2 yard pass the distance and we don't have to give up any draft picks, let alone a first rounder.

A RB in the first round is, with out question and always, the worst "bang for your buck" you can get.

As a high draft pick, I would agree. At #30, it is tremendous value. What is the difference between Etienne being picked at #30 in the 1st round or #35 in the 2nd? 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Huh?

The Bills have 3 starting-caliber Guards competing for 1 starting LG spot (Ford, Boettger, Lamp)

Let the best guy of that 3-way competition win, and start at LG. You want to add a 4th LG and make it a 4-way competition for Starting LG? That makes 0 sense.

And yes, Singletary SHOULD be relegated to Inactive on game days. That's a good thing for the Bills. Singletary isn't a good starting NFL RB, neither as a runner or a receiver.

Completely disagree with you.

^^^This is the worst post of the entire thread. Breida is a bad NFL football player.

Breida is awful, was guaranteed only $40,000 for a reason, and likely won't even make the final roster. There's a reason why Breida was the Dolphins 3rd-string RB and then they couldn't wait to let him go. Brandon Beane basically talked as if Breida doesn't even exist - Beane only mentioned Singletary/Moss, never even mentioned Breida. You can tell Beane isn't expecting anything from Breida. He is irrelevant.

If the IOL is good at run blocking, then why don't they block well?  Singletary averaged 5.1 per carry in 2019 - which is .3 yards less per carry than etienne did last year in college... at clemson.... 

I think playcalling here has been an issue as well.  From under center buffalo ran 300 something plays, and ran on like 2/3.  From Shotgun they ran like 700 plays and 2/3 pass.  I know we're a pass heavy team, but that just looks a bit like were tipping our pitches.  The Outside zone plays weren't there all year, they were ripping through blocks on the backside and destroying cutbacks. 

I think what an etienne or harris would help the most with is being more of a mismatch to a team that decides to blitz a lot.  Or the KC strategy of just holding people - more effective YAC could be a difference in those games. 

I'm still partial to defense at 30 though, buffalo lost to KC because they gave up 38 straight points across 6 possessions, not anything they did wrong on offense.  I'm not set to move on from Edmunds - but signing milano, bringing in adams... its clear they want to see more from him.  Not a need necessarily, but could be positioned to upgrade the defense.

Edited by dneveu

That Tar Heels RB looks pretty good to me. Love the way he lowers his shoulder and just bowls people over. I think the Bills should trade down, get a good CB in a deep CB draft, get this RB and pick up an extra pick in the middle rounds where Beane seems to have a knack for finding gems. Hope they pick up another young OLman in this draft too. They do need to get that run game fixed.

But I'm just an armchair GM and looking back at what I just wrote completely over looked pass rusher. Another big need. Perhaps they could take a chance on one of the DEs that opted out last year. Maybe one of them is diamond.

The Bucs showed the way to beating the Chefs was getting to the QB ( which is the case most of the time )  so im going with pass rusher, however instead of the usual suspects im going with athletic freak 6'5" 260 pound

Zaven Collins - 

Positives: Explosive, game-impacting linebacker who was a three-year starter for Tulsa. Instinctive, breaks down well, and quickly locates the ball handler. Forceful up the field and plays with balance as well as body control. Gives effort defending the run and attacks assignments as well as opponents.

Big, strong, and defeats blocks to make the play. Easily gets back to playing balance off the initial block and quickly changes direction or alters his angle of attack without losing momentum. Terrific pass rusher who bends off the edge with speed. Explodes through gaps to penetrate the line of scrimmage. Very effective making plays in space, fluid moving laterally and shows speed in pursuit. Stays with assignments, possesses solid ball skills, and stands out in coverage.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/zaven-collins-nfl-draft-player-profile-tulsa-linebacker/

• Thank you (+1) 1

BB, he was the one Kirwan picked in last weeks mock draft on MTC.  He’s interesting.  They were mentioning he would convert to DE.  In today’s NFL, it’s not a surprise a guy who is 260 lbs. to be a DE.  The old days of 275 lbs. or more are just that and outdated.

Hes intriguing to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

"While [Beane]'d like to find someone who can come in and start day one, that is not his main goal.

" 'I do think there are some positions, that you could say this guy has a shot to start,' added Beane. 'There are some other guys on the board that we look at and go, "this guy is one heck of a player, but he's not going to start." '

"It's a luxury to be able to enter the draft in such a position and Beane had a similar approach last year. AJ Epenesa filled a 'need' for Buffalo on the defensive line but he was inactive for week one last season. He wasn't rushed instead was slowly brought along into the system instead of being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

The same can be said for Gabriel Davis and Dane Jackson. Guys who played a good amount in 2020 but we're not asked to start immediately but will be given more responsibility in their second year.

"Beane will look to do the same next weekend in Cleveland."

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/beane-focused-on-finding-a-long-term-starter-in-round-one

They're unlikely to get much immediate upgrade. With this strong lineup and not drafting till #30, it's almost certainly not going to happen. They can definitely make some impact, though, and fans can hope.

14 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

You do realize that CEH was a much worse pass-blocker coming out of LSU, right? He started from Day 1 and didn't get his QB killed, the Chiefs went 15-1 and got to the Super Bowl. That whole narrative is overblown.

Um, no, it's dead on-target.

And I'm very interested to find out how 14-2 equals 15-1. Could you explain what way the Chiefs went 15-1 last year while losing two games?

They picked Edwards-Helaire, and didn't get a lot out of him for a first round pick. He played

In 2019 the team managed 1569 yards on the ground , while with Edwards-Helaire they vaulted all the way up to 1799 yards. Wow!!! That's 230 extra yards!! I mean, yeah, 80 of those extra yards came from Patrick Mahomes getting 80 more yards running, but still !!

In 2019, the Chiefs threw for 626 yards to the RBs. In 2020, they improved that all the way up to 517!! Oh, wait, that's actually less. But still !!!

Not being a good blocker makes you harder to put in when it's a passing situation.

Edwards-Helaire is a fine player. But they didn't get much if anything extra in terms of RB production. They're a passing team, like us.

If they had it to do over again, even though Edwards-Helaire is good, I think they'd choose someone at another position.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

And yes, Singletary SHOULD be relegated to Inactive on game days. That's a good thing for the Bills. Singletary isn't a good starting NFL RB, neither as a runner or a receiver.

Sorry, man, this just doesn't any sense whatsoever when you're talking about a very good blocker who was top five in the league in YPC as a rookie, with 5.1 yards, a very solid 4.4 YPC last year, and who caught 76% of his targets last year and 71% as a rookie.

There simply isn't a doubt that he's a starting quality NFL RB. Beyond that there are absolutely some quibbles with his game, particularly the fact that he's not a home run hitter. But he absolutely is starter quality.

Edited by Thurman#1