Which defensive scheme would you prefer?

Which Bills defensive scheme would you pick?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Of the defensive schemes the Bills have used between the '90s and today, which one do you think is the best?

• Wade Phillips late '90s 3-4
    • Gregg Williams early 2000s 4-3
    • Dick Jauron 2006 Tampa 2
    • Mike Pettine 2013 4-3
    • Jim Schwartz 2014 403
    • Sean McDermott Tampa 2
    • Other (please specify)

all schemes depend on getting the right players, I thought the OP was asking if we could get the players necessary what scheme would we prefer.  At least that's how I answered when I said the 'Mint/Tite' front from Nick Saban/Kirby Smart.  Tho we are not that far off from a players standpoint.

• Like (+1) 1

i choose rex ryan. having 12 guys on the field seemed to be a real advantage defensively. 

if the refs just stopped questioning it. it would have been the best defense ever.

the 10 man defense was also great! kept o coordinators up at night wondering why we were so confident. mental games all over the field baby! 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, WideNine said:

I don't know if he had a specific scheme, but all day every day Wade.

He was flexible and not tied to any particular scheme. Just got the best guys on his roster on the field and tried to put them where they could make plays.

He turned a lot of poor team defenses around, but had some tough championship losses. 

I don't think any defensive staff was worse off having Wade at the helm, he would find a way to use what they had.

remebering i was super pissed he wasn't even concidered when he was activley petitioning to come here when we needed a coordinator and i believe right after he won the broncos a superbowl. 

was that the same year!? 

9 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

remebering i was super pissed he wasn't even concidered when he was activley petitioning to come here when we needed a coordinator and i believe right after he won the broncos a superbowl. 

was that the same year!? 

Not sure, but his struggles settling on a QB and getting the team deeper into the playoffs hung over his head.

Funny how over a decade of fail and no playoffs after he left softened the collective take. 

He may have been over his head as an HC, but he had a tough job of turning over an aging roster of fan favorites while trying to keep his team competitive as well as dealing with a meddling owner in Ralph.

His stance on fielding a defense though, I think it is the right philosophy to have in this game with so much expected player turnover.

https://footballscoop.com/news/wade-phillips-you-adapt-the-scheme-to-what-the-players-can-do-not-what-you-can-think-of/

“I don’t understand the people that say, ‘Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can’t play in it,’” Phillips said Friday. “Well, to me, there’s something wrong with your scheme. You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of."

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 2

I chose 'other', mainly because so much depends on what players you have playing a particular scheme.

By the end of that last year Schwartz was here, his D was probably the best all round in the NFL - but he had the right players for it.

McDermotts version of a 4-3 is generally pretty solid, and when you don't necessarily have to pay all your CBs as much, is probably the way forward in today's NFL.

7 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

Wade Phillips.  Hands down, best DC ever.

Also, recommend that you read, “Son of Bum.”  Talks about his dad quite a bit.  I enjoyed reading it.  You can pick it up for under $10 in most places.

I went to a draft night event he did over here in London a few years ago. It was after he left Houston and before Kubiak got the Denver job and took Wade along. What a fantastic guy and a fantastic football brain. I have said it a lot having coached soccer myself that coaching is a lot about communication. Wade is an awesome communicator who pretty much taught the room the 3-4 defense in an hour and a half. If I played for Wade I'm sure I'd think "man this scheme is easy to pickup." The anti-Rex Ryan. 

I managed to speak to him 1 on 1 for 20 minutes or so afterwards. What a great guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:29 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Phillips.  No question.

That system was so adaptable to different opponents.   They would frequently stun teams with very different looks without much time to implement them.

I remember that Niners game in Buffalo in 1998.........they didn't know what hit them.........they would occasionally switch to a 4-3 and put up dominant performances.......and Wade stunned everyone putting tiny Antoine Winfield on Tony Gonzalez and shutting him down.........he could really mix things up.

Phillips is one of the greatest DC's of all time.........he could take over a team with 4-3 or 3-4 personnel and make it work at a high level.........while a guy like Rex had to have certain personnel to run his inflexible system.

Schwartz' system was basic and very inflexible and required a bunch of hard to find talent........it's tough to sustain.

McDermott's system needs to become more diverse.   If the only way to do that is to try to find a unicorn to play big nickel then it's not ideal.    Need the "growth mindset" to apply to the defense as well.

Agreed, Phillips has had many outstanding defenses over a long career.  Great defensive coordinator.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, Rico said:

It was a Frank Middleton cheap shot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cowart-sidelined-six-weeks-1.226409

PS. ***** you Tony Dungy.

Way to find that link!!  Thats a LONG time ago.  And we lost Keion Carpenter and Sam Rogers that game.  (said it right there in the article)  

And I agree about Tony Dungy.  Never been a big fan.