Potential Hint to Draft Priorities?

4 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I know this has been posted elsewhere, so mods feel free to merge if deemed necessary, but wanted to lay out a general line of thinking taking this comment a step or two further...

From Beane's presser the other day: 

So what might this mean in terms of position and player priority as they're looking at the draft? While none of this is mind-blowing, it tells me a couple things:

1. Higher paid positions likely more in play than lower (CB, over S, for instance)
  2. Immediate needs become less of a priority than longer-term ones (see DE/WR age/depth/future contract situations)
  3. What impact does our franchise QB's health play into that? Might be too deep of a read into that quote, but we know the staff believes in building successful season on top of successful season. Could potentially bring OT into play...
  4. General player health might play a role too -- specifically thinking of Morse here. Given the contract they gave him to come from KC, the staff clearly prioritizes the C position...
  5. Probably "nothing to see here" but also fair to wonder if the decision to delay committing to Edmunds' 5th year extension could play interestingly there as well. Given his age and his athleticism, he'd still be an intriguing trade chip and there's depth to be found in the LB class this year...

In general, if my thesis is proven correct, I think this statement from Beane probably means:

Stock up: DE, CB, WR, OT, C

Stock down: S, OG, 

🤷‍♂️: LB, TE, 3T, 1T

Cmon bud liars season.  Do i have to send again the animal house remain calm youtube.

Note to anyone who wphasnt watched drafts for over 30 years.  They all lie.  Believe NOTHING.  There is nothing that is true.  NOTHING.  I didn’t even watch his pre draft presser.  Why?  He’s living like every other GM.  you can’t read a tea leave to find not one thing out and I wouldn’t either if I were them.   That’s giving away you’re leverage.  These guys are smart.

they are not dumb enough to give you any hint of what they will really do.  The whole RB thing from the other day.  Lie!  or not.  We won’t know until the end of next weekend.

enjoy it like Christmas and see what toys we get.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Cmon bud liars season.  Do i have to send again the animal house remain calm youtube.

Note to anyone who wphasnt watched drafts for over 30 years.  They all lie.  Believe NOTHING.  There is nothing that is true.  NOTHING.  I didn’t even watch his pre draft presser.  Why?  He’s living like every other GM.  you can’t read a tea leave to find not one thing out and I wouldn’t either if I were them.   That’s giving away you’re leverage.  These guys are smart.

they are not dumb enough to give you any hint of what they will really do.  The whole RB thing from the other day.  Lie!  or not.  We won’t know until the end of next weekend.

As others have said, most draft choices ARE long-term decisions. I'm not sure how much what he's saying could possibly be a lie. I was just trying to take his comments and apply them to what we think we know about our own team's setup, going into the draft.

Bud, I’m not busting you personally’s chops.  I’m saying I believe non of them.  No matter what he or any of them say.  They lie and they lie even more before the draft.

Its a smart move so no one knows what they are really doing.  Sometimes they tell the truth, because they want others to think they are lieing.  It’s not about you, and I see you put a nice summary together.  I’m saying I’ve been watching drafts since espn made it popular in the early 80’s and they all lie.  Hell, Gil Brandt from the 60’s to the 90’s and so many others say the same darn thing.  Believe nothing.

You can’t read anything into any GM except maybe the jags that sent the playbook to Lawrence.  They have no reason to lie as they are #1.  That one I agree.  I don’t even know if Wilson will go to the Jets at #2 even though all accounts say he will.  I have absolutely no idea even with all the speculation who the 49ers are going to take nor do you or anyone else.

At 30?  Anyway, glad you put some thought into it for fun.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That confirmed to me more then ever that it is a corner

With absolutely no information, or anyone telling me anything, I agree.  That’s my WAG as it is most likely a better CB is there at 30 or close than other positions, but then I could completely be 100% wrong.  What do I know or anyone else.

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

My wife would always sneak in the night before and open her presents, then wrap them back up. You don’t have a key to the war room, do you? She’d do it and get a pic of our board!  She never got caught!  Sneaky, that one! 

Seriously, I’ve been to one Super Bowl. Rather than go to another, I would chose to attend a draft if I ever could. That sounds AMAZING to me! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bud, I’m not busting you personally’s chops.  I’m saying I believe non of them.  No matter what he or any of them say.  They lie and they lie even more before the draft.

Its a smart move so no one knows what they are really doing.  Sometimes they tell the truth, because they want others to think they are lieing.  It’s not about you, and I see you put a nice summary together.  I’m saying I’ve been watching drafts since espn made it popular in the early 80’s and they all lie.  Hell, Gil Brandt from the 60’s to the 90’s and so many others say the same darn thing.  Believe nothing.

You can’t read anything into any GM except maybe the jags that sent the playbook to Lawrence.  They have no reason to lie as they are #1.  That one I agree.  I don’t even know if Wilson will go to the Jets at #2 even though all accounts say he will.  I have absolutely no idea even with all the speculation who the 49ers are going to take nor do you or anyone else.

At 30?  Anyway, glad you put some thought into it for fun.

With absolutely no information, or anyone telling me anything, I agree.  That’s my WAG as it is most likely a better CB is there at 30 or close than other positions, but then I could completely be 100% wrong.  What do I know or anyone else.

I am also saying that without a wealth of "in the know"

30 just seems like the place to take a corner (or a OG) unless someone significant drops at DE or WR

Its about the dollars to......getting a stab at a shut down corner on a cost controlled contract would be amazing.....Tre could do his thing....move Dane Jackson into the slot

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Etienne (or any RB) is the selection at #30.

I still think it is less likely than other spots but Beane definitely left the door open for a guy who can "give us something we don't have" and then 2 or 3 questions later said the thing we don't have is a home run hitter. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You have no idea what the draft board looks like so you cannot say these are just "need" picks.  You're basically saying every single time you improve a weakness in the draft, it's a need pick and not BPA.  

Why would someone draft a position they don't need at all?  Would it make sense for us or KC to draft a QB in the first round?

Would it make sense for the Bucs to draft a MLB?

Would it make sense for the Pats to draft a tight end?

You always criticize Beane for drafting players to improve areas for whatever reason.

The Jags and Jets both need QB's and they're both drafting QB's....need pick.

We have no idea what Beane's draft board looks like.

It's just childish for Ethan to call Beane an idiot and a liar. 

Wow, that escalated fast. I missed that he called Beane an idiot or a liar and if so, I certainly do not agree with that.  I do think Beane will be a bit opaque in his intentions at time, which is fine. Honestly, I'm at the point with Beane where if there's a draft move or a pick that I think is dumb, and he makes it, I'll rethink my own strategy. I get mad if I see a GM ranking list and he's not at least top 10. At this point, the team's record has gone up substantially every offseason he's been here. I'll trust the process and after all these years, I'm thankful to have a team that seems to be working.

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If you have a true top 5 superstar QB then the window is as large as his career. Your team will always be in the mix

You are mostly correct. If you have a superstar QB, then you can can overcome some flaws. It just gets much harder.  Look at the Seahawks. Their O-line and defense has fallen apart. Is that all because of Wilsons contract? No of course not.  But it makes it harder.  The Packers have not been able to build a decent defense in a decade to pair with Rodgers.  Will the Chiefs be able to sustain this run when the real impact of Mahommes' contract kicks in?  We will see. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Answer:  It's not.  It could be a big need next year though so it would be prudent to draft and develop one if the Bills feel they have a future star in rounds 1 or 2.

Based on where we pick, the players who will likely be available at #30, and our current personnel the only position I think could have a significant positive impact this year for our team is CB.  I hope a good one falls to us and that's who we take.

I think if WR is by far the best player on the board I wouldn't hate taking it. Sanders is a one year rental and I am not sure how many more years Beasley has left in the tank too. Diggs should have a few prime years left and Davis is young but still not fully comfortable with him as a WR2. There is a lot of longer term instability at the position. But I think the odds of a corner or Edge player not being there at a good value is fairly small. But it is nice to have options at pick 30.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

WR before the 3rd round. MARK IT DOWN lol.

It does make sense... Sanders, Beasely  and McKenzie are FA at the end of the season, that  leaves us with Diggs and Davis

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Then Beane should’ve thought about that before he spent two 3rd round picks on two slow ass RBs..... It will be disappointing if he takes a a RB in the first round after wasting 3rd round picks on two the last two years. 

May be he trades both of them on draft day for 5th round picks....

People are underestimating the home run thread of Breida.  

21 hours ago, mannc said:

The Bills utilize WRs more than any team in the league.  Two of their top 4 WRs are well over 30 years old, and their number 1 guy will be 28 to start the season.  All it takes is an injury to one of the top 4 guys and all of a sudden, it's a major need.  As long as JA is slinging it like he did last year, we'll be looking to draft a WR just about every year--as we should. 

you aren't wrong, but i think a fair part of us using so many WRs so often is our weak run game (if the run game is strong, passing out of running formations is better, since it is weak we just give up on making the d guess and load up w speed), and something that will impact both the run and the passing game directly is TE talent/production.

a slight improvement in the run game (a better back would help, but i think better interior linema(e)n might be the secret sauce) and a TE (knox gets better?  i hope) who can block and catch means we can do what our O is really designed to do, create match up problems and let the QB just dictate the flow of the game.

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think if WR is by far the best player on the board I wouldn't hate taking it. Sanders is a one year rental and I am not sure how many more years Beasley has left in the tank too. Diggs should have a few prime years left and Davis is young but still not fully comfortable with him as a WR2. There is a lot of longer term instability at the position. But I think the odds of a corner or Edge player not being there at a good value is fairly small. But it is nice to have options at pick 30.

This.  The value at 30 for Edge or CB doesn't look like it will be there.  Value at WR should..  Kadarius Toney, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore... One, or all, could be there when we pick.  I also think Etienne has value at 30 as a playmaker.  He has a lot of Kamara potential. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1