Potential Hint to Draft Priorities?

I know this has been posted elsewhere, so mods feel free to merge if deemed necessary, but wanted to lay out a general line of thinking taking this comment a step or two further...

From Beane's presser the other day: 

So what might this mean in terms of position and player priority as they're looking at the draft? While none of this is mind-blowing, it tells me a couple things:

1. Higher paid positions likely more in play than lower (CB, over S, for instance)
  2. Immediate needs become less of a priority than longer-term ones (see DE/WR age/depth/future contract situations)
  3. What impact does our franchise QB's health play into that? Might be too deep of a read into that quote, but we know the staff believes in building successful season on top of successful season. Could potentially bring OT into play...
  4. General player health might play a role too -- specifically thinking of Morse here. Given the contract they gave him to come from KC, the staff clearly prioritizes the C position...
  5. Probably "nothing to see here" but also fair to wonder if the decision to delay committing to Edmunds' 5th year extension could play interestingly there as well. Given his age and his athleticism, he'd still be an intriguing trade chip and there's depth to be found in the LB class this year...

In general, if my thesis is proven correct, I think this statement from Beane probably means:

Stock up: DE, CB, WR, OT, C

Stock down: S, OG, 

🤷‍♂️: LB, TE, 3T, 1T

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve had a thought in the back of my head for a few months now that they will take a swing early on a medium term replacement for Morse ...Could be in play at 30 or perhaps after a slight trade down if Beane feels like rolling the dice ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane lies. He says he drafts BPA but drafts for need.  He is an idiot if he is drafting for long term. The window to win the SuperBowl is now and next year.  He should be drafting for immediate help!  Now that can be nuanced.  Drafting a 1-tech DT or edge early can fit both a short term and long term need. 

The only position that I would say should be drafted for long term is a true center so they can move on from Morse next year.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

If you look at the Bills roster, the only position where a rookie could potentially start on Day 1 is at Running Back. 

All the other spots have solid veterans in place for 2021.  And even if the Bills drafted Travis Etienne/Najee Harris, it's very possible they are forced to play behind Devin Singletary/Zack Moss at first.

Not sure anything can be taken from Beane's comments.

Also, there hasn't been a "delay" in activating the 5th-Year Option on Tremaine Edmunds.  The deadline isn't until after the draft, and none of the NFL teams have activated those options yet.  The Bills haven't done it for Josh Allen either.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane lies. He says he drafts BPA but drafts for need.  He is an idiot if he is drafting for long term. The window to win the SuperBowl is now and next year.  He should be drafting for immediate help!  Now that can be nuanced.  Drafting a 1-tech DT or edge early can fit both a short term and long term need. 

The only position that I would say should be drafted for long term is a true center so they can move on from Morse next year.  

Please given an example where Beane has not drafted BPA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If you look at the Bills roster, the only position where a rookie could potentially start on Day 1 is at Running Back. 

All the other spots have solid veterans in place for 2021.  And even if the Bills drafted Travis Etienne/Najee Harris, it's very possible they are forced to play behind Devin Singletary/Zack Moss at first.

Not sure anything can be taken from Beane's comments.

Also, there hasn't been a "delay" in activating the 5th-Year Option on Tremaine Edmunds.  The deadline isn't until after the draft, and none of the NFL teams have activated those options yet.  The Bills haven't done it for Josh Allen either.

A 1st round CB will most likely start, pushing Levi Wallace to cb 4. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Epenesa over JK Dobbins and Chinn last year for me. 

You could argue Ford as well but to me I think they just had him rated highly and its a straight up draft miss. 

Otherwise hes been pretty darn good at going BPA

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Why do people keep listing WR as an immediate need?  I dont get why thats an immediate need right now

Gotta keep feeding the beast -JA

Plus, this is a good year to get that quality WR and get him acclimated. Seamless transition from Sanders at least.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Why do people keep listing WR as an immediate need?  I dont get why thats an immediate need right now

You really can’t see why replacing a 34 year old WR who is on a one year deal is a priority? I love Sanders, he made one of the best comebacks from an achilles that I know of but he isn’t a beastly number two at this stage. He is a placeholder. 

WR is very much a need, Cole is also on the wrong side of 30. Unless they know that they nailed the Hodgins pick, they need to draft one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't list it as a immediate need. Which is why he said WR stock went up seeing as it would definitely be looking towards the future. 

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Answer:  It's not.  It could be a big need next year though so it would be prudent to draft and develop one if the Bills feel they have a future star in rounds 1 or 2.

Based on where we pick, the players who will likely be available at #30, and our current personnel the only position I think could have a significant positive impact this year for our team is CB.  I hope a good one falls to us and that's who we take.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This isn't really something that can be proven considering we don't have Beane's board. At any rate, I feel like every team says they draft BPA and it just so happens that the BPA in their opinion is something they need lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It is not. But Beane talked about drafting a guy who could learn behind players with 1 year left. Beasley and Sanders fall in that camp. 

I am at the point where #30 (if they don't trade out) is down to Travis Etienne, a corner, a project pass rusher or a receiver based on the presser.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6