Gabriel Davis - Post TD Celebration

This is a great video of Josh’s best throws from last season. In watching it I was reminded of something that occurred to me a few times during games last fall. After he catches a TD, Gabriel Davis drops the ball quicker than any WR that I’ve ever watched. It’s almost as if he’s playing an imaginary game of “Hot Potato” with himself.

I worried on a few occasions that the TD would be nullified due to the NFL’s overly-complex “what constitutes a catch” rules.

Did anyone else also think that maybe he should hold onto the ball for an extra second or two just to be safe?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

This is a great video of Josh’s best throws from last season. In watching it I was reminded of something that occurred to me a few times during games last fall. After he catches a TD, Gabriel Davis drops the ball quicker than any WR that I’ve ever watched. It’s almost as if he’s playing an imaginary game of “Hot Potato” with himself.

I worried on a few occasions that the TD would be nullified due to the NFL’s overly-complex “what constitutes a catch” rules.

Did anyone else also think that maybe he should hold onto the ball for an extra second or two just to be safe?

Yes, I have had that very thought.  Hopefully his coaches address this with him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Okay...different topic...but watching this video I find it remarkable how often (and how well) Allen lofts the ball.  He drops the ball in to receivers on the sidelines really well.  That was something he didn't do at all his rookie year, was improved his second year, but then during his third year he seems to do it more often than firing that laser down field (at least based on this video).  Really impressive.

49 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

He did not drop it faster than Calvin Johnson.........

57 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think he should walk to the referee, bow and hand it to him or her.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #33: "It never hurts to suck up to the boss." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

The pragmatist in me wants to chastise the OP for posting an 8-minute video without giving approximate time-stamps of the two events in question. But the fan in me watched the whole video with a giant grin (twice!), so screw my inner pragmatist. 🙂

To the point, though, in both of Gabe's TDs in that vid, he took at least two steps after the catch before releasing the ball, and it was pretty clear that he was tossing, not bobbling the ball. I don't think it's a problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Okay...different topic...but watching this video I find it remarkable how often (and how well) Allen lofts the ball.  He drops the ball in to receivers on the sidelines really well.  That was something he didn't do at all his rookie year, was improved his second year, but then during his third year he seems to do it more often than firing that laser down field (at least based on this video).  Really impressive.

Gee, I don’t know. The all knowing, self proclaimed smartest people ever when it comes to football have stated in this very forum that Josh Allen is incapable of putting any air under his ball at all. Ever. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

How many Mississippis should he be counting to? 

Side note.  Josh Allen is really good 

Until he hears the whistle.

I saw Davis do that a couple times and I was worried that some smart@ss official would give him a "rookie call" by ruling an incomplete pass.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The pragmatist in me wants to chastise the OP for posting an 8-minute video without giving approximate time-stamps of the two events in question. But the fan in me watched the whole video with a giant grin (twice!), so screw my inner pragmatist. 🙂

To the point, though, in both of Gabe's TDs in that vid, he took at least two steps after the catch before releasing the ball, and it was pretty clear that he was tossing, not bobbling the ball. I don't think it's a problem.

Is pitching the ball a football move, thus completing the catch?

Still not sure exactly what the catch rule is now.

Watched some old Bills games from the 80's and early 90's recently, and it was a catch if a player had possession of the ball for a single micro second while both feet were down. 

There were plays in one game where the defender knocks the ball free like .2 seconds after the wr caught it. Since both feet were on the ground it was immediately ruled a fumble. 

43 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Is pitching the ball a football move, thus completing the catch?

Taking two steps (i.e. the football move) while in possession of the ball completes the catch.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think he should walk to the referee, bow and hand it to him or her.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #33: "It never hurts to suck up to the boss." 

I'm right around episode 18 of season 2 of DS9 and reason I'm watching is I heard it turns into some of the all time best sci fi starting in season 3 (and it already has been great).

Very very very pumped (I started watching in early April too, so that's a lot of DS9...with a 16 month old and a just turned 4 year old, this is pretty much literally the first tv I've watched for myself in almost a year.

Their stuff during the day if tv is on and catching up on work I put off watching them part of the day. DS9, at least so far, sneaky good show to watch with a 4 year old (only skipped a few episodes because of violence). Between watching DS9 and moving from South Florida to Raleigh last fall and experiencing a real spring for the first time in 8 years, I feel like a fog is coming off...so yeah, thinking the last year might have caused some lasting impacts...

What's this thread about again?

46 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

What's this thread about again?

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition and how in a battle with Beane they will lose.

Local station has all 5 Star Trek live TV shows back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back here 6 days a week.

I work in evening so perfect opportunity to watch but then I discovered it on Amazon w/o ads (except for Amazon ads) so watch it there.

Watch 25th anniversary documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHixW9PLsAc