NFL Passes Expanded Jersey Number Rule

Logic

Geometric symbols on jerseys will be the next big thing..., kinda like Prince or the artist formally known as... 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I read this correctly? No LBs in the 50's???? I like the change with the exception of that. The greatest LBs of all time wore numbers in the 50s. That makes no sense.

Bad written article here's the rule:

The expanded jerseys will allow running backs, tight ends, fullbacks, H-backs and wide receivers to wear numbers 1-49 and 80-89; defensive backs can choose from 1-49; linebackers 1-59 and 90-99; offensive linemen 50-79; and defensive linemen 50-79 and 90-99. QBs, kickers and punters will remain in 1-19.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-passes-rule-expanding-eligible-jersey-numbers

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I read this correctly? No LBs in the 50's???? I like the change with the exception of that. The greatest LBs of all time wore numbers in the 50s. That makes no sense.

Dang. Hopefully that doesn't carry over to madden. I prefer all my linebackers to have numbers in the 50's. That's a lot of linebackers in the NFL that will have to change numbers, if true.

I'm not too excited about this. I like the more traditional number system. But, if it makes the players happy then so be it. It is not that important.

Edited by MJS

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

4 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

Absolutely agree with this.  Really?  No LBs in the 50s?  In my best Berman voice, “C’mon Man!!” 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Dang. Hopefully that doesn't carry over to madden. I prefer all my linebackers to have numbers in the 50's. That's a lot of linebackers in the NFL that will have to change numbers, if true.

I'm not too excited about this. I like the more traditional number system. But, if it makes the players happy then so be it. It is not that important.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

The expanded jerseys will allow running backs, tight ends, fullbacks, H-backs and wide receivers to wear numbers 1-49 and 80-89; defensive backs can choose from 1-49; linebackers 1-59 and 90-99; offensive linemen 50-79; and defensive linemen 50-79 and 90-99. QBs, kickers and punters will remain in 1-19.

Linebackers can still wear #'s in the 50's as The Jokeman pointed out.  They just expanded it to 1 through 49 if they wish.  Step off the ledge :) 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-passes-rule-expanding-eligible-jersey-numbers

Thanks. That makes more sense. Always found it odd to see LBs and DEs in college in single digits. Seeing a guy in a number 6 that is 265 pounds destroying a QB always seemed out of place. I like tradition but that said I also embrace change. I would rather see the game be more fun than too rigid.

• Like (+1) 1