NFL Passes Expanded Jersey Number Rule

Logic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/21/nfl-passes-expanded-jersey-number-rule/

Get ready for jersey numbers to look different.

NFL owners approved a rule proposal today that dramatically expands which positions are eligible to wear which numbers.

Now jerseys with numbers in the single digits can be worn by defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers.

Defensive backs and linebackers could wear any number from 1 to 49, while running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers can all wear 1 to 49 and 80 to 89.

Quarterbacks, punters and kickers will still be required to wear numbers 1 to 19, linemen will still wear 50 to 79, and defensive linemen and linebackers could also wear 90 to 99.

Several NFL players have indicated that they’ll consider changing their jersey numbers this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 2

Absolutely hate it.  Thought the college players looked incredibly stupid wearing 0 last year.  Why the NFL insists on fixing things that arent broke, but not fixing things that are is beyond me.

A Defensive Back can now wear the #1 but teams are limited on the variations of their helmets and jerseys?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/21/nfl-passes-expanded-jersey-number-rule/

Get ready for jersey numbers to look different.

NFL owners approved a rule proposal today that dramatically expands which positions are eligible to wear which numbers.

Now jerseys with numbers in the single digits can be worn by defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers.

Defensive backs and linebackers could wear any number from 1 to 49, while running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers can all wear 1 to 49 and 80 to 89.

Quarterbacks, punters and kickers will still be required to wear numbers 1 to 19, linemen will still wear 50 to 79, and defensive linemen and linebackers could also wear 90 to 99.

Several NFL players have indicated that they’ll consider changing their jersey numbers this season.

So the bigger question is will a WR on the active roster for the Bills wear a number in the 80s? or will we keep guys in the 10s? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I read this correctly? No LBs in the 50's???? I like the change with the exception of that. The greatest LBs of all time wore numbers in the 50s. That makes no sense.

Absolutely agree with this.  Really?  No LBs in the 50s?  In my best Berman voice, “C’mon Man!!” 

• Like (+1) 1

In other rules news: 

Tabled a proposal from the Buffalo Bills that would have pushed back interviews for general manager and head-coaching positions until after the championship round of the playoffs and would have prevented hires until after the Super Bowl. It will be further studied.

When you say the number 56, what sport and position do you automatically think of?

An American Football Linebacker. Dumb...

I agree, any player who changes #s while on the same team should be required to "buy back" any fans purchase. The jersey would need to be turned into the official team store in Buffalo or sent via mail. The fan would receive a voucher to be able to get a new jersey of that player (or $ value assigned if say that they wanted to upgrade and to put it towards the purchase of a more expensive type/style of jersey)

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I really do not care about #s. But I'm guessing this impacts the refs the most? They probably rely on #'s (at times) to tell things like illegal man downfield and stuff like that?

O-lineman won't change numbers.

I think it's a great idea.

In fact, I would go a step further and introduce Jersey numbers -1 to -20 for underachieving, untalented or lazy footballers on the roster. The further away from zero, the less valuable or respected the player....for example:

-3...Marcel Dareus

-7...Russel Bodine

-16...Kelvin Benjamin

In fact, I'm logging on to Fanatics.com to pre-order my Vontae Davis -20 jersey right now!!