Justin Fields confirms epilepsy rumor

All depends on the type of seizure he gets, their frequency, and how well controlled they are with meds.

Teams will absolutely take this into serious consideration because he’s going to be exposed to multiple head bonks. Maybe not full on concussions, but there is no way a QB doesn’t get his bell rung multiple times in the NFL. You can bet teams that are interested in him are trying to figure out if there are increased risks. IDK if there’s any increased risk.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Well, yes.  Point taken.  However Burrow was more athletic and has a better arm than Jones - at least I think that.

As someone that was extremely high on Burrow and relatively low (3rd round grade) on Mac, I actually don't think Burrow's arm is much better in terms of velocity. But he was a far more accurate passer than Mac, far better moving around in the pocket, and significantly better in his reads (though Mac is quite good in this regard).

• Agree 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, The Jokeman said:

I doubt the Patriots would take a QB in Round 1 as think Belichick be in the mind set that QBs are made not born. I could see them taking a guy like Trask in Round 2 though. 

Really? 

My pretty strong guess is Mac Jones. The kid is VERY smart. 

Btw, if Jones is there at 15, it will be the most interesting pick of this draft imo. Remember, Saban and Belichick are friends for about 40 years. Belichick was at the Alabama pro day standing with Saban while Mac was throwing. Nick told him his true thoughts about Mac.

Of this I am sure.

Edited by Bill from NYC

On 4/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

Perhaps someone with more medical background can explain epilepsy better, but it seems to havent had much affect on him as an elite athlete. Sounds like doctors arent too concerned 

My adopted daughter developed symptoms of epilepsy as a result of a car accident.. Sometimes it can be congenital .  Sometimes it can be the result of a brain injury.  I imagine there are cases where an illness could cause it.  I suppose there are times when the cause is unknown.  There are variations in the type of seizures one can experience.  40 years ago I knew a fellow with severe epilepsy.  It was not controlled and he typically had grand mal seizures.  Forty years may have seen the development of better medications, but there is great variation in epilepsy.  Some cases are easily manageable, some are very difficult.  At the time, there was nothing that could control Fred's epilepsy.  Because of it he could not drive or hold a job.  If Fields' case is stable and well controlled, I don't see any reason why it would mess up his chances for a solid career.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Really? 

Btw, if Jones is there at 15, it will be the most interesting pick of this draft imo. Remember, Saban and Belichick are friends for about 40 years. Belichick was at the Alabama pro day standing with Saban while Mac was throwing. Nick told him his true thoughts about Mac.

Of this I am sure.

While Mac was overthrowing wide receivers against air 😂

I jest in fun 🙃

I feel for anyone that has this. An old girlfriend had a pretty serious case. She would have seizures most every day, sometimes multiple times.  It breaks my heart just remembering them. Sounds like he has his under control for the most part. 

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

My adopted daughter developed symptoms of epilepsy as a result of a car accident.. Sometimes it can be congenital .  Sometimes it can be the result of a brain injury.  I imagine there are cases where an illness could cause it.  I suppose there are times when the cause is unknown.  There are variations in the type of seizures one can experience.  40 years ago I knew a fellow with severe epilepsy.  It was not controlled and he typically had grand mal seizures.  Forty years may have seen the development of better medications, but there is great variation in epilepsy.  Some cases are easily manageable, some are very difficult.  At the time, there was nothing that could control Fred's epilepsy.  Because of it he could not drive or hold a job.  If Fields' case is stable and well controlled, I don't see any reason why it would mess up his chances for a solid career.

I had no idea it could be a result of an incident like a car accident. I pray your daughter is doing well. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

This is too bad in all honestly. What’s kind of infuriating however is how all nfl draft coverage right now is about how Justin Fields should be totally immune to any criticism at all. I even saw an analyst say he should be in the conversation for the first overall pick. There is not one objective draft analyst that has him in the same conversation as Lawrence. 

8 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

This is too bad in all honestly. What’s kind of infuriating however is how all nfl draft coverage right now is about how Justin Fields should be totally immune to any criticism at all. I even saw an analyst say he should be in the conversation for the first overall pick. There is not one objective draft analyst that has him in the same conversation as Lawrence. 

Nor does he belong there.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this is the least of Fields worries. He’s on the Bears where QB’s go to die. The wind in that stadium is strong and is very erratic. QB’s and K that play for the Bears leave that team and always do better at their next destination. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Really? 

Of this I am sure.

You are prescient. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Really? 

Of this I am sure.

Interesting. Saban told the kid that he would have no issue with cheating to win.