Justin Fields confirms epilepsy rumor

15 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nobody knows what Belichick thinks about drafting QBs because for 20 years he was only drafting for backup QBs.  

True and prior to that in Cleveland he did cut a 1st rounder (Kosar) and replaced him with a 1st rounder  (Testaverde) yet both were veterans and he does have a veteran now (Newton). 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Keep him off the field for the Super Bowl halftime show and he’ll be fine 

Cold, dawg.

Then again, you have to be to wear that haircut in public.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well, even if he is to fall in the draft, I'm sure he'll seize the opportunity.

You're going straight to Hell for that one, mister...🤨

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

never heard of outgrowing Epilepsy, but hey if you can, no biggie then.

It isn’t common but it does happen. This is particularly the case for seizure disorders that start in childhood or adolescence. His family history of the disorder diminishing and going away over time is a good sign. I’ve actually seen it happen several times working as a psychologist with patients with seizure disorders at the VA medical center and another settings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beyond football I hope the kid can manage his health. The game matters. But other things matter more.

He’s close to the TB12 method in how he manages his diet/lifestyle and that can’t hurt, I would imagine. He’s never had any issues with it affecting football so far so can only hope for the best going forward. 

4 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Adds a risk factor into selecting him.  Will cause him to drop imho.

I don't think it will cause to him to drop too much. The impact could be on teams picking 2 or 3 that might pass on him if the decision was close between him and another QB

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Now it is understandable why there has been any question about whether he is the 2nd or 3rd ranked QB.  I could not understand why anyone would rate Mac Jones ahead of him.  

Looking at pedigree,

Alabama has had Joe Namath, Bart Starr, and Ken Stabler as QBs.

Ohio State has had Mike Tomczak.

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Perhaps someone with more medical background can explain epilepsy better, but it seems to havent had much affect on him as an elite athlete. Sounds like doctors arent too concerned 

im an expert. I have multiple forms of epilepsy.

there is one type that is believed children outgrow as they grow up.  It can be controlled with meds.

they thought I had this earn I was a young kid. They looked at my body size vs pill dose and thought it was too low. Within 2 weeks I had a full blown seizure called grand mal.

thus was done by multiple doctors do I had multipke seizures from it.

I had meningitis st 6 weeks of age and my moms mother and extensive seizure and stroke issues so that me I gitus may have triggered the seizure.

I also had asthma. The first meds I took had trace amounts of phenobarbital which controlled the seizures. At 3 they changed meds and I had a seizure because this didn’t have the phrnobarbitol.

I never had issues playing sports due to epilepsy. I knew another kid who coukdnt get things like head shots otherwise it coukd cause seizures.

post puberty I developed a second form of a sense seizures which I had to add meds to control. I eventually got tested and had brain surgery to remove part of my brain believe to cause these second form of seizures. They did end...but Idtill take low dose keppra which controls auras snd the possibility of grand mal seizures.

in the brain surgery they removed the engine which generated the seizure but left the starter which produces auras.  The meds suppress this.

I woukd not be concerned on fields.  That said some issues could surface if he gets a bad concussion.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Now it is understandable why there has been any question about whether he is the 2nd or 3rd ranked QB.  I could not understand why anyone would rate Mac Jones ahead of him.  

I doubt anyone ranking him publicly had this info until now.

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Looking at pedigree,

Alabama has had Joe Namath, Bart Starr, and Ken Stabler as QBs.

Ohio State has had Mike Tomczak.

Don't forget Art Schichter (sp?).  

Still, Fields played very well in big games, has a much better arm and is another league athletically compared to Mac Jones.  Jones played with 2 slam dunk first round WRs in this draft, 3 OL who will be drafted, 2 of which in the top 2 rounds, and a borderline first/second round RB.  Jones had SO much talent around him, how do you even evaluate him?  I am pretty sure that any 2nd/3rd string NFL QB and some guys who couldn't make the league would have looked great with that Alabama team.

I'm not saying that Mac Jones isn't gooe, but rather how could he look bad on that team?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

never heard of outgrowing Epilepsy, but hey if you can, no biggie then.

There are forms you can but it’s usually with childhood seizures that disappear as you grow and pass puberty.  The cause of it has to do with the growing and active brain development as a toddler that isn’t around post puberty.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Still, Fields played very well in big games, has a much better arm and is another league athletically compared to Mac Jones.  Jones played with 2 slam dunk first round WRs in this draft, 3 OL who will be drafted, 2 of which in the top 2 rounds, and a borderline first/second round RB.  Jones had SO much talent around him, how do you even evaluate him?  I am pretty sure that any 2nd/3rd string NFL QB and some guys who couldn't make the league would have looked great with that Alabama team.

I'm not saying that Mac Jones isn't gooe, but rather how could he look bad on that team?

Heard that about Burrow at LSU...

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed, but the draftniks often pick up "vibes" from the NFL evaluators.  I suspect that they picked up on the "we're not sure about Fields" vibe.

Wouldn't a draftmik then say: "what do you mean"?

And why would it matter to a guy writing a mock draft?

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t draft either of them that high, let alone burn 3 #1’s on them, but at least Mac Jones would still be on my board.

Art Schlichter was one of my biggest all-time disappointments, I thought he’d be great in the NFL. AJ Hawk too, but I’d have no problem drafting an OSU LB these days.

Edited by Rico