Justin Fields confirms epilepsy rumor

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Justin Fields confirms epilepsy rumor
3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Perhaps someone with more medical background can explain epilepsy better, but it seems to havent had much affect on him as an elite athlete. Sounds like doctors arent too concerned 

Yes. it is a condition that can be well monitored and controlled.

of course, he will now 'drop' to the Patriots at 15

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Yes. it is a condition that can be well monitored and controlled.

of course, he will now 'drop' to the Patriots at 15

I doubt the Patriots would take a QB in Round 1 as think Belichick be in the mind set that QBs are made not born. I could see them taking a guy like Trask in Round 2 though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I doubt the Patriots would take a QB in Round 1 as think Belichick be in the mind set that QBs are made not born. I could see them taking a guy like Trask in Round 2 though. 

Hopefully he thinks this way.  Because it's wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Perhaps someone with more medical background can explain epilepsy better, but it seems to havent had much affect on him as an elite athlete. Sounds like doctors arent too concerned 

My wife and Dad have the condition.  Wife hasn't had one for 25+ years so I have never seen it as hers is controlled via medication very well.  My Dad had numerous episodes when I was growing up due to his refusal to take it. Basically somehow the electrical signals to certain areas of the brain get shorted and it goes haywire...can cause seizures, strange behavior, and exhaustion post seizure, but that was usually only with grand mal ones when they were very bad and I used to go run and hide in my room if he had one of them.

Medication can control it to varying degrees...sometimes the person will never have another one again and sometimes they continue to have them but to a lesser extent.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He won't be hurt by it, we are just learning it but I'm sure all teams have known. Smart of him to acknowledge it to make the media fluff up about it a non story.

This just in Mac Jones has average hand size compared to NFL QBs! Will it be enough!?

Anything is a story right now. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

As someone who was incorrectly diagnosed with it as a child there are several types of epilepsy with the worst being Tonic-clonic seizures (also called grand mal seizures, can make a person cry out, lose consciousness, fall to the ground and have muscle jerks and/or spasms) which is type you see typically in movies with violent shaking, possible biting/swallowing of tongue, etc.  In previous times such people were told not to play sports.  These days you can play sports with precautions.  There is medication to control it and typically seizures repeat without medication.  Absence seizures (sometimes called petit mal seizures can cause rapid blinking or a few seconds of staring into space); this type could become a big impact to a professional player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Nobody knows what Belichick thinks about drafting QBs because for 20 years he was only drafting for backup QBs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Ahhh - he’ll shake it. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

If this happens Bills D will give him fits..

Well, even if he is to fall in the draft, I'm sure he'll seize the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1