The Athletic: NFL Draft Confidential

DCOrange

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

@DCOrange what's their take on Payton Turner/DE/Houston?

Scout 1: I love him. This guy is so long-armed and he’s really smart. He had a really high Wonderlic score.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

Any discussion of Kellen Mond or Mac Jones?

Kellen Mond:

QB Coach 2: If you give him time to develop, I think he can play. I like him. I was impressed with his interview. On film he’s kinda robotic. He needs to be more of an athlete. Jimbo (Fisher) just coached him to death, and he was just trying to be perfect. In warm-ups, he was worried about his mechanics right before the game. 

The biggest thing for me is that he started a ton of games; his completion percentage went up; his interceptions went way down; sacks went way down and that was all with his top four receivers being out. That was impressive, and he did it in the hardest division, in the hardest conference.

I like his athleticism. He stands — and delivers — in the pocket maybe as good as anyone in this draft, but he’ll also stand in there and throw into coverage. He has good athleticism in the run game. Now there’s time where they’re covered and there’s escape lanes and you’re like, “Use your tools now!” and he doesn’t.

Re: Mac Jones:

QB Coach 1: I am driving the bandwagon. I think he is the best thrower of the football by a lot. Zach Wilson is freaky; but he’s not hitting people in stride on time. Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation. ... He was substantially better in the interviews than all of the other quarterbacks.

QB Coach 2: In my mind, if I had to win right now, this year, he’s the most advanced quarterback of any of them. 

Jones is gonna walk in Day One and just have to flip terminology because he’s gonna know pro football. He’s been coached by Sark (Steve Sarkisian). He understands run checks, understands moving protections — not that these others don’t, but he’s on a different level. The question is, are Mac Jones’ physical tools worthy of being a top-5 pick or even first-round? I don’t know that his physical abilities warrant that, but if you tell me that I have to win now, I think his physicals are good enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Never understood why an anonymous scout would be forthright.  They’re all trying to feed a narrative about certain guys.  Makes for good entertainment though.  Only scouts take I’d trust is a Chiefs, Bills, or Chargers scout on the top QB prospects. Even then, they might fudge the truth to create narrative if a division rival is in that market.  

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Kellen Mond:

Re: Mac Jones:

Thanks!  Might explain why the Niners are all-in on Mac Jones...I do not believe for a second they are taking Fields or Lance.

12 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Thanks so much OP!

Man I am worried about Edge in this draft. Seems there is a lot of high risk/high reward. Maybe with the exception of Rousseau, every other DE seems 50/50 

Could work in our favor...no way a surefire edge rusher like Chase Young would be available at 30 anyway...those guys always go in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

A guy that runs in the 4.3 is not a slot only.  He will burn you down the sideline.  I hate when "scouts" say crap like that.

Moore will be a player a defense has to game plan against.

I’m not saying you’re wrong at all because until he’s asked to run boundary routes in the pros vs. pro CBs, we simply won’t know definitively. But I wouldn’t dismiss the scout’s concern, either. That sideline boundary acts like another DB out there and some guys just aren’t cut out for it, regardless of how fast they are. 

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

They have a lot of thoughts on all the QBs, including one of them specifically saying he thinks Zach Wilson will have a really hard time in New York and mentions how he doesn't have the legs to bail him out while he's learning how to be a QB like our own Josh Allen did. I had originally included the QB stuff in here too but then I realized it was the length of a short novel. Happy to post more excerpts if there's certain players people are interested in. The ones they discuss that I left off are:

• All of the top 8 QBs
  • Kyle Pitts
  • All the top WRs (including Rashod Bateman who I almost included in the OP)
  • Seth Williams
  • Dynami Brown
  • Nico Collins
  • Amari Rogers
  • Josh Palmer
  • Micah Parsons
  • Jaelan Phillips
  • Kwity Paye
  • Christian Barmore
  • Nick Bolton
  • Jabril Cox
  • Jamin Davis
  • Dylan Moses
  • Jevon Holland
  • Jaycee Horn
  • Patrick Surtain
  • Penei Sewell
  • Rashawn Slater
  • Sam Ehlinger
  • Payton Turner
  • Racey McMath

Thanks Orange, if you don't mind and have the time, I'd be interested in seeing Nico Collins, Jevon Holland, Dylan Moses, Barmore and Bolton LOL sorry for being greedy.  to narrow it down my top2 to see would be collins and barmore.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong at all because until he’s asked to run boundary routes in the pros vs. pro CBs, we simply won’t know definitively. But I wouldn’t dismiss the scout’s concern, either. That sideline boundary acts like another DB out there and some guys just aren’t cut out for it, regardless of how fast they are. 

It doesn't matter where Hill lines up, he burns whatever CB he is up against with straight speed.

Also, "outside" is not even a real thing anymore.  These WR are lining up everywhere on the line.

"They tell you his ball skills are phenomenal."

"but his ball skills are fine, not great."

"He was also a lot thicker than I thought he'd be at pro day."

"This kid is really raw. But he’s so long, and you just can’t find those guys with his kind of length..."

Who was The Athletic talking to?  Sherlock Holmes?!

🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 7

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

A guy that runs in the 4.3 is not a slot only.  He will burn you down the sideline.  I hate when "scouts" say crap like that.

Moore will be a player a defense has to game plan against.

Some fast guys do not have the ball skills to be a downfield threat and can therefore be utterly worthless as a downfield threat.

You see it a lot with RB's.   I can remember people wanting CJ Spiller to be split out wide to take advantage of his speed..........but anytime a ball was thrown at him from more than 15 yards away it was just as likely to hit his facemask as his hands.

Being able to track a long throw and catch it in stride without having to stop your body or feet........or adjust to it and make a difficult catch........ is a different skillset than what is required of a slot WR.    That position is a lot of short catch and throws. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2532416/2021/04/21/nfl-draft-confidential-zach-wilson-to-the-jets-in-that-market-with-that-play-style-woof/

One of my favorite reads of the year where Bruce Feldman interviews position coaches from NFL teams to discuss different prospects. Some excerpts on players that might be of interest to Bills fans:

Re: Terrace Marshall:

Re: Greg Rousseau:

I love the ball skills that Marshall has for a big receiver.    He tracks the ball, adjusts, keeps his stride........he's a dude in the pass game.   That ability to adjust to a low thrown ball can make a huge difference in a receivers potential..........Gronk is unbelievable at it.   People take it for granted.

Love the scouts take on Rousseau........the Calais Campbell comp is interesting........he is not as powerful as CC but his pass rush potential is greater.   The big differentiating factor might be those 11" hands..........Campbell doesn't have those.  Rousseau tackles people from distances/angles that we aren't used to seeing.   It's one thing to have length but those mitts make his length so much more effective.    The question is does he have the makeup of a guy like Campbell........who was a very slow developing prospect at Miami and in the pros before becoming a star.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, just1hugheser said:

Thanks Orange, if you don't mind and have the time, I'd be interested in seeing Nico Collins, Jevon Holland, Dylan Moses, Barmore and Bolton LOL sorry for being greedy.  to narrow it down my top2 to see would be collins and barmore.

Lol no problem. In order:

Nico Collins

WR Coach 2: His pro-day tests have me messed up because I didn’t not like his film. His pro day was good (clocking a 4.42 40 with a 37.5-inch vertical at 6 feet 4, 215 pounds). He doesn’t look or play explosive like that. It’s hard to find big men that move like that.

WR Coach 3: There ain’t many big guys this year. If you need a big X, he’s gotta be in your talk; the big thing with him is he’s got to clean up his routes and sink his hips and be under control at the top of his routes. I don't see him making it out of the second round.

Jevon Holland: one of them said they think he's the best pure safety in the class; that's the entire comment.

Dylan Moses:

Scout 1: He’s off the board for us medically. I think he put so much pressure on himself because he was crowned so early. He got hurt (early in his career at Alabama) and he doesn’t play as fast or as physical. It’s kinda sad. He’s a good young man and he’s got some good traits.

Christian Barmore

Scout 1: He’s a little stiff. He’s not another Quinnen Williams, but he can be disruptive and he has some upside. He will get over-drafted because it’s such a bad year for interior linemen.

Nick Bolton

Defensive Coach 2: Special kid. Loved him in the interview. He reminds me of Danny Trevathan or Eric Kendricks. He’s a good solid player with a good nose for the ball and excellent football intangibles. He’s an alpha dog. He’ll get everybody lined up. There’s two or three linebackers in this draft that I think have off-the-charts football character: Bolton, (Ohio State’s) Pete Werner and (Georgia’s) Monty Rice.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

It doesn't matter where Hill lines up, he burns whatever CB he is up against with straight speed.

Also, "outside" is not even a real thing anymore.  These WR are lining up everywhere on the line.

Regardless, the boundary acts as another DB and can be limiting to some receivers, especially against pro DBs, which is why a scout might make mention of it. 

Speed is a great thing to have in a receiver, but the world is littered with super fast WR prospects who never panned out. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Lol no problem. In order:

Nico Collins

Jevon Holland: one of them said they think he's the best pure safety in the class; that's the entire comment.

Dylan Moses:

Christian Barmore

Nick Bolton

I was told by someone who has an in with the Packers that he was off their board medically.

The part about Zaven Collins was really interesting to me, because I felt like they were talking about Tremaine Edmunds. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with their takes. I just found it interesting.

TULSA LINEBACKER ZAVEN COLLINS

Defensive Coach No. 2: He has some freaky stuff to him, but he has to be in a particular scheme like Philly, Indy, Minnesota or Dallas where he can stack and run and hit; he’s not the most physical guy. I know people compare him to Anthony Barr, but I think Barr was more fluid. You watch his film and he’s good in coverage, but I’m not sure how it’s gonna translate to our level. He’s so big; I’d be nervous if he’s out there one-on-one with (Christian) McCaffrey or a Tarik Cohen or someone like that. He plays high; not a thumper. He can chase plays down. I think his instincts are pretty good.

Defensive Coach No. 3: I like him a lot, but what are you looking for? Is he an outside linebacker? You can’t teach 6-4, 260 and moves like that. I think he’s an Anthony Barr-type player, but you better have a clear-cut vision for him. At 6-4 trying to play inside linebacker, it will be hard to get his pads down, and he’s not gonna run around people like he’s in Conference USA. The way the league’s going now, the best middle linebackers, Devin White, Roquan Smith, Devin Bush, Pat Queen, Lavonte David, are all like 6 feet or shorter, and it’s such a space game now.