I really Don't Understand Why Cops Want to be Cops Sometimes .

Why does anyone want to do anything? We all have different reasons.

I was in the military and put myself on a volunteer list to go overseas, for the the simple fact that I needed to see what the rest of the world was like. Young at the time and not overly concerned for my wellbeing.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a family. I wouldn’t even consider it in this day and age. 13 year olds are running around with guns and stealing cars. Mentally unstable people legally obtaining AR15s. And the mass media machine has branded them all as racists with high level politicians on both sides egging on their mobs respective mobs to attack them. A small number of acts of negligence, brutality or flat out dirty cop murder is getting associated with all that are in the profession. Crime is on the rise. Etc etc 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Pat Robertson is right but the training also needs to be fixed. There’s also way too many cops. They aren’t needed. You could lay off 1/4 of the cops in this country and no one would notice. Pay the ones they keep. 

We need to make the job attractive again and you do that with higher pay. Hire smarter people. We can’t just keep hiring anyone who’s ex-military. The police aren’t soldiers. We shouldn’t be making all of them jail/prison guards either. It only perpetuates the broken system that we’re about to dismantle and clean up.

We also don’t need the fire departments showing up to every single tiny incident and then requesting/demanding bullet proof vests because they’re showing up to every single incident. I don’t know who’s bright idea that was and when that started, but it needs to be fixed. No more toys! We’ll call you when there’s a fire!

“I think the problem is they’ve got to pay them more,” he said. “We don’t have the finest in the police department. They’re low-paid people… it’s not a question of training, it’s a question of hiring a more superior workforce, and we aren’t doing it.”

“But we need police, we need them, and we need to honor them, and I’m all for it, but at the same time, we cannot have a bunch of clowns running around who are underpaid and who really are not the best and brightest,” Robertson concluded.

Edited by The Governor
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, The Governor said:

Pat Robertson is right but the training also needs to be fixed. There’s also way too many cops. They aren’t needed. You could lay off 1/4 of the cops in this country and no one would notice. Pay the ones they keep. 

We need to make the job attractive again and you do that with higher pay. Hire smarter people. We can’t just keep hiring anyone who’s ex-military. The police aren’t soldiers. We shouldn’t be making all of them jail/prison guards either. It only perpetuates the broken system that we’re about to dismantle and clean up.

We also don’t need the fire departments showing up to every single tiny incident and then requesting/demanding bullet proof vests because they’re showing up to every single incident. I don’t know who’s bright idea that was and when that started, but it needs to be fixed. No more toys! We’ll call you when there’s a fire!

“I think the problem is they’ve got to pay them more,” he said. “We don’t have the finest in the police department. They’re low-paid people… it’s not a question of training, it’s a question of hiring a more superior workforce, and we aren’t doing it.”

“But we need police, we need them, and we need to honor them, and I’m all for it, but at the same time, we cannot have a bunch of clowns running around who are underpaid and who really are not the best and brightest,” Robertson concluded.

The thing is what person in their right mind would want to go in and put up with the BS a cop has to ?

At first in order to get the point across that you have to obey the law & restore order in places like Seattle & Portland there will have to be some force used there's no way around it and if the bad guys have guns (which you know they do) if you think the higher paid cops won't use theirs it's not going to be that way .

Bad guys no matter if cops have higher pay are gonna be "Bad Guys" and they don't play by rules actually they would rather have no rules that's why they are bad guys . 

And the big thing is the bad guys don't have respect for any one or any thing and until you can get to that point not much will change because they don't have respect for any life at all which is why some young children are getting caught in the cross fire and adding to the carnage because the bad guys don't have any respect !!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Governor said:

Pay primarily comes from tax money.  You willing to pay more taxes with it earmarked for law enforcement?  Most agencies are not Hill Street Blues type districts so I would question your assertion on low pay.  NYS troopers years ago were getting around 60 K and most likely today make more annually.  The biggest problem today as said before here is criminals are showing an increasing willingness to make their own rules putting cops into difficult situations.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, T master said:

The thing is what person in their right mind would want to go in and put up with the BS a cop has to ?

At first in order to get the point across that you have to obey the law & restore order in places like Seattle & Portland there will have to be some force used there's no way around it and if the bad guys have guns (which you know they do) if you think the higher paid cops won't use theirs it's not going to be that way .

Bad guys no matter if cops have higher pay are gonna be "Bad Guys" and they don't play by rules actually they would rather have no rules that's why they are bad guys . 

And the big thing is the bad guys don't have respect for any one or any thing and until you can get to that point not much will change because they don't have respect for any life at all which is why some young children are getting caught in the cross fire and adding to the carnage because the bad guys don't have any respect !!

Yup.  The country is ***** now.  Good job.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Pay primarily comes from tax money.  You willing to pay more taxes with it earmarked for law enforcement?  Most agencies are not Hill Street Blues type districts so I would question your assertion on low pay.  NYS troopers years ago were getting around 60 K and most likely today make more annually.  The biggest problem today as said before here is criminals are showing an increasing willingness to make their own rules putting cops into difficult situations.

No problem has a one size fits all fix. Personally, I’d be just fine paying higher taxes if I knew that we had a really high quality police force that wasn’t constantly bidding on new toys that aren’t necessary. I think Troopers in NJ make like 80/year. I’d give them a modest bump. Cops in the south make like 17 bucks an hour. I wouldn’t take that job. I would double the pay of an officer in any southern state.

5 minutes ago, The Governor said:

No problem has a one size fits all fix. Personally, I’d be just fine paying higher taxes if I knew that we had a really high quality police force that wasn’t constantly bidding on new toys that aren’t necessary. I think Troopers in NJ make like 80/year. I’d give them a modest bump. Cops in the south make like 17 bucks an hour. I wouldn’t take that job. I would double the pay of an officer in any southern state.

There's a lot of reasons why hiring sucks right now and pay is a factor in a lot of areas.  FHP starts at like $15/hr to do traffic stops of Florida Men in 100 degree heat.  That's insane.

Many agencies are down people right now.  NYPD down 8%, NYSP down about 10% at the moment and you can tell.  My agency is down 10%.  There are big city PDs in the south that are 30 or 40% down.  When you're down 30% of sworn personnel it's almost impossible to catch back up without dropping standards.  And most places have dropped standards significantly in the past 50 years already.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

There's a lot of reasons why hiring sucks right now and pay is a factor in a lot of areas.  FHP starts at like $15/hr to do traffic stops of Florida Men in 100 degree heat.  That's insane.

Many agencies are down people right now.  NYPD down 8%, NYSP down about 10% at the moment and you can tell.  My agency is down 10%.  There are big city PDs in the south that are 30 or 40% down.  When you're down 30% of sworn personnel it's almost impossible to catch back up without dropping standards.  And most places have dropped standards significantly in the past 50 years already.

The federally endorsed effort to demonize the profession was bound to lead to this outcome.

There will be consequences.if I didn’t already know better, I would have assumed defund the police to be an NRA platform 

20 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Coming into contact with Florida Man should demand a high premium. That’s less than a UPS driver makes starting out.

Edited by The Governor

34 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The concept of law and order requires most of the population following the concept of law and order. 

When you flip the script and suggest law and order is the problem, things go sideways.  

Yup.  And when one side thinks that just the other side needs to change, it NEVER EVER works.

• Like (+1) 1