New helmets approved, 3 helmets banned after testing

NFL releases 2021 Helmet Testing Lab Reports

izbiz1enx8acf8jfxfny.pdf

Overall positive news that there are now some better testing options for players and a removal of three that no longer test within the moving-target of acceptable limits. 

New position-specific models have been introduced by VICIS and all graded in the dark green recommended. One is a lineman model that has built-up areas where DL & OL have more impacts.

Let’s get Mitch Morse, especially, into one of these!

The design, however, is not very conducive to decal application. Will be interesting to see how equipment managers problem-solve it.

7B857412-1B15-49F1-9C21-8B01EF7AF57D.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3

I’m thinking that logos come a very far second to a better helmet design, this is an opportunity for a clever graphic artist to come up with a work around, it will like look very cool if done correctly, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

NFL releases 2021 Helmet Testing Lab Reports

izbiz1enx8acf8jfxfny.pdf

Overall positive news that there are now some better testing options for players and a removal of three that no longer test within the moving-target of acceptable limits. 

New position-specific models have been introduced by VICIS and all graded in the dark green recommended. One is a lineman model that has built-up areas where DL & OL have more impacts.

Let’s get Mitch Morse, especially, into one of these!

The design, however, is not very conducive to decal application. Will be interesting to see how equipment managers problem-solve it.

7B857412-1B15-49F1-9C21-8B01EF7AF57D.jpeg

Mitch should get the best helmet with an additional cap on top like a former Bill wore.

It helped prevent additional concussions for Mark Kelso.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/kelso-s-helmet/

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140430/BLOGS06/140439971/mark-kelso-mocked-and-shunned-for-his-padded-helmet-in-the-1990s-is

Prior to the 1990 season, he was given a choice by then-Bills trainer Eddie Abramoski: Wear the ProCap — a padded helmet attachment that, according to Kelso, weighed 14 ounces — or don't play.

“It looked stupid. Absolutely stupid,” Kelso said during a “Confronting the Concussion Crisis” talk Tuesday night, April 29, at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.

I had opportunity to talk with Eddie Abramoski at an annual tailgate here where he was a guest.  This is a true story,  I cannot imagine an equipment manager has that type of influence on a team today.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140430/BLOGS06/140439971/mark-kelso-mocked-and-shunned-for-his-padded-helmet-in-the-1990s-is

I had opportunity to talk with Eddie Abramoski at an annual tailgate here where he was a guest.  This is a true story,  I cannot imagine an equipment manager has that type of influence on a team today.

🤨🤔 Not quite understanding. Mr. Abramoski was an athletic trainer. That’s more of the medico side of things, nothing to do with preparing equipment e.g. trainers need to clear injured players to return to practice / games. 

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that equipment guys having a tough time with decals wouldn’t  be any kind of reason that a helmet wouldn’t be used. ... The weird bump-outs and different modeling on helmets in more recent years makes me wonder whether teams / Nike will be forced to reduce the size of helmet logo decals or what kind of work-around they come up with. 

Edited by UConn James

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

🤨🤔 Not quite understanding. Mr. Abramoski was an athletic trainer. That’s more of the medico side of things, nothing to do with preparing equipment e.g. trainers need to clear injured players to return to practice / games. 

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that equipment guys having a tough time with decals would be any kind of reason that a helmet wouldn’t be used. ... The weird bump-outs and different modeling on helmets in more recent years makes me wonder whether teams / Nike will be forced to reduce the size of helmet logo decals or what kind of work-around they come up with. 

Well from conversation with Eddie he had considerable input which equipment players uses.  I have a signed copy of his book "The Tale of the Tape: A History of the Buffalo Bills from the Inside".

s-l1600.jpg

I agree with you on helmet designs as related to decaling.    One of those helmets would be good to put Bills logo streak but what happens when players choose radically different styles?  

I wonder how new helmet designs will affect mini-helmets.  There is a bar patron who has a layered shelf with mini-helmets. Some he hand painted because he could not find mini helmet of that type available for sale.

23 minutes ago, UConn James said:

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that equipment guys having a tough time with decals would be any kind of reason that a helmet wouldn’t be used. ... The weird bump-outs and different modeling on helmets in more recent years makes me wonder whether teams / Nike will be forced to reduce the size of helmet logo decals or what kind of work-around they come up with. 

I mean id think theres plenty of guys talented enough to airbrush it where you cant really tell? Or some kind of decal that has really thin spots where the creases are. I wouldnt want to have to do it, but that doesnt mean it cant be

On 4/21/2021 at 9:42 AM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Just go back to leather.

My main issue with a harder shelled exterior of a helmet vs softer exterior is that it offers no give on impact forcing the interior design of the helmet to counter the whiplash that could be reduced in the 1st place IMO.

It would be interesting to see how a thick leathered exterior ( polished to reduce cohesion) with the existing interior desgn would test out IMO. Have a thinner hard plastic shell between interior and exterior.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1