Just woke up from a nightmare.,,,,the Bills drafted Jason Oweh

NewEra

Would you approve of drafting Oweh @30  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of drafting Oweh @30

• Yes- the dude is a freak and sometimes you have to roll the dice on elite traits
    • No- I’d be pissed
    • Meh, indifferent. Don’t love the player but understand rolling the dice on elite traits

The Bills traded up with the Jets and took Jason Oweh.  Ugh.

Traded up for the ultra athletic Qb Josh Allen

Traded up for ultra athletic LB Tremaine Edmunds.

Drafted the ultra athletic DT Ed Oliver.

Our biggest need is a dominant pass rusher.

Oweh is without question the most athletic freak at DE.  Jaelen Phillips could also be the pick due to his athleticism.  

What are your thoughts on drafting Jason Oweh?

I voted indifferent.  I think it would probably be a waste of the pick but i can’t help but think “what if he finds his potential”.  We’d have our Josh Allen on D.  If I had to bet, he turns out to be a bum.  I’d predict that his ceiling will eventually turn out to be on par with Bruce Irvin at his best.  

I really hope he’s not the pick, but the upside would get me excited if he is the pick.  I’d be really fired up to watch him play and watch his progression.....hopefully 

Edited by NewEra

When I look at his highlights, I just don't see a guy who looks like he has elite traits. He looks like a good player, but not a freak.

I trust Beane, and if he likes the guy I'll try to be open-minded, but I don't see it - with very little real study, admittedly - myself.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be pissed. For all of the athletic traits he had zero sacks. I mean ZERO sacks in 7 games. He only has 7 sacks in 3 years at Penn St. He's only had 5 sacks total over the last 2 years and 18 games played. He also only had 13.5 tfl's in his 3 years/20 total games. I said it in another thread, if we take a Penn St. DE I would rather it be Shaka Toney who has actually produced on the field. Oweh is probably best suited as a 3-4 OLB where he can use that athleticism as a stand up rusher and roaming the flats in Zone coverage. 

• Like (+1) 4

Please no let some other team gamble on him.

PS DE's and USC QB's are two things you should never draft ;)

BTW rolling the dice with the Rnd 2 pick with no trade up would be about where I put his value.

• Agree 1

In most of the draft rankings I've seen, Jaysen Oweh is usually the #5 Edge Rusher (behind Kwity Paye, Azeez Ojulari, Jaelen Phillips and Gregory Rousseau).  Most places have him as a borderline late 1st/early 2nd rounder.

If the Bills scouts believe they can develop him, I have no problem with them taking Oweh at #30.  But I think trading up for a boom/bust guy who probably would have fallen to #30, and who probably won't contribute at all this season.  That would be a waste.

The only situation where I would be OK with the Bills trading up, would be for someone who absolutely won't drop to our pick.  The only Edge Rusher I see that being is Paye.  It's very possible that one of the other guys will fall to #30.  And if not an Edge Rusher, then one of the Top 4-5 Cornerbacks (personally I'm holding out hope for Caleb Farley).

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Oweh is without question the most athletic freak at DE.  Jaelen Phillips could also be the pick due to his athleticism.  

I voted yes, but ONLY because I trust Beane and our coaches and scouts enough to trust them to make the right pick.

My real question is, is there ANY pass rusher in this draft that you would want the Bills to trade up for? (Just had this debate with my brother yesterday). Kwity Paye? Rousseau? I’m honestly not sure if there is an elite pass rusher in the class. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I voted indifferent.  I think it would probably be a waste of the pick but i can’t help but think “what if he finds his potential”.  We’d have our Josh Allen on D.  If I had to bet, he turns out to be a bum.  I’d predict that his ceiling will eventually turn out to be on par with Bruce Irvin at his best.  

I really hope he’s not the pick, but the upside would get me excited if he is the pick.  I’d be really fired up to watch him play and watch his progression.....hopefully 

We’ll NE, to do what you’re saying, we’d have to swap 1sts, and give them our 6th and 7th.  We’d still be short on pts., but they may want the picks.  That’s what it would take.  Given they are most likely trying to workout extensions for Allen and Edmunds, they are going to need next years picks so I wouldn’t consider that one.  If you wait til 24th, the Steelers also need picks for those linemen so we’d have to swap again and give them the 3rd, but they would have to give us their 6th and 7th.

Not sure if he’s worth it.  Raw talent, and maybe a high ceiling, but are you willing to give away either way you’re third. That’s the question.

6 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I thought this was going to be about the Sabres season.

No, you’re awake 

It’s crazy how little Oweh did with his amazing physical ability.  That roll of the dice rarely works out well for the team drafting him so I have to say I’d be pissed at 30.  Talk to me at 61 for a player like that.

I was waffling between "meh," and "yes."

But, ya know... as a dumb fan, I want to see someone kinda exciting drafted at 30, and there aren't going to be that many there. I don't think that Oweh, or Harris are really worth a first round pick, and I'd be surprised if Beane valued them that high, and if there weren't several others on their board with a significantly higher value by the time we get to 30.

That being said, I wouldn't hate the pick at all, so I went ahead with "yes."

Trading up i would be pissed.  

However, while hes not my favorite (that would be Azeez please) I would be ok.  

As for sacks, someone tell me how this is different than danielle hunter who only had 4.5 sacks in 2 years at LSU (1.5 his last year)?  I understand hunter was a 3rd round pick but I thought we all realized sacks werent indicative of impact.  Below video shows them with similar physical gifts (discounted some with pro days)  EDIT: Big 10 handled the season silly and he didnt get to play any non-conference games which probably would have resulted in him getting some sacks.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1