*Brandon Beane Draft Presser LIVE @ 1:00 PM EST, 4/20/21*

ExWNYer

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree his size makes it difficult to shed blockers and get into position to make tackles.  I just think - especially in today’s NFL - the Bills are not really worried about the LBs being run stoppers.  They just aren’t.  The proof is in the scheme - 90+% of the time they are in nickle and have just Edmunds and Milano as LBs.  Milano is really a glorified safety - so size and personnel wise - they just do not respect the running game as a viable threat.

The scheme seems to be very DL driven to sop the run - as they ask the DEs to contain a lot and do not have the DTs shooting gaps.  The LBs are there for passing presence and to clean up.  The Bills are not playing an aggressive attacking defense and people should not expect the MLB to be aggressive and attacking in this style.

The Bills defensive plans for the last 4 years are bend - don’t break.  Keep things in front and force check downs, short passes, and runs and make teams move down the field in long drives.  They will make a mistake and then you can attack in certain situations like 3 rd and long.

I think fans conflate his play with what the team concept is.  They want him attacking, but the team wants him thinking pass first.  Around the league - he seems to garner respect for his play, but there are times where both he and the defense are to passive and that allows gameplans to focus on moving him or waiting.  If you watch things like the KC game - he is in position o defend specific passing windows and the Chiefs just wait and hit secondary windows.  We watched Josh do it all year to other teams, but ignore it from ours.

The Bills ask their safeties and corners to do a lot in run support too.   They do rely on versatile DL too, guys that can do both and have good instincts to follow the ball with all the rpos and jet sweeps and just general play action they have to diagnose and attack quickly and effectively.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Regarding Edmunds, the facts of the situation are that picking up both 5th year options in the same year is a 35 mill, inflexible cap hit. The reality of the salary cap being unknown next year with the tv deal not taking effect until 2023 makes it almost impossible to pick up both. Most teams don’t have two 5th year options come due in the same year as it’s pretty rare to draft twice in the first. Yay for hitting on both and it being a problem. 

I took nothing from the presser that Beane doesn’t see Edmunds as a Bill long-term. But he also knows the realities of the above and the other guy is the franchise QB. I don’t think his option will be picked up but it’s not because he’s not in their plans I think an extension for Edmunds is in play if he has a good season where the terms are more flexible toward the 2022 cap than the 5th yr option. If he doesn’t have a good season, well, that’s another story but they certainly seem to like him and he’s still probably younger than some of the LBs in this draft. 

I think they wait until the end of the season on both as far as contracts go, I think they both re-sign, just not sure how Beane has to play it as far as the option is concerned, does he decline it so its not a fully guaranteed contract, or does he take it and then just setup his contract going forward accordingly.

I also think there is a possibility for a draft day Ertz trade, could be done in a 1000 different ways if they can just agree on compensation.

5 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

The Bills ask their safeties and corners to do a lot in run support too.   They do rely on versatile DL too, guys that can do both and have good instincts to follow the ball with all the rpos and jet sweeps and just general play action they have to diagnose and attack quickly and effectively.

I think they wait until the end of the season on both as far as contracts go, I think they both re-sign, just not sure how Beane has to play it as far as the option is concerned, does he decline it so its not a fully guaranteed contract, or does he take it and then just setup his contract going forward accordingly.

I also think there is a possibility for a draft day Ertz trade, could be done in a 1000 different ways if they can just agree on compensation.

I think he picks up Allen’s option and signs him to an extension this summer, similar to how he did Tre White’s. I think they will decline Edmunds option for all the reasons he laid out this week but could re-sign him at some point prior to 2022 FA, as long as he performs and develops to their expectations. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he picks up Allen’s option and signs him to an extension this summer, similar to how he did Tre White’s. I think they will decline Edmunds option for all the reasons he laid out this week but could re-sign him at some point prior to 2022 FA, as long as he performs and develops to their expectations. 

100%.

I personally see Beanes comments as an excellent way to deflect the Edmunds decision for another season. 

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

Many of us have participated in the Great Edmunds debate OP here on the Wall, but I just found an article that seemed to capture all the facets and concerns that some folks have as well as giving a nod to the accolades - it is a good read.

https://coldfrontreport.com/tremaine-edmunds-the-man-or-the-myth/

I'm afraid to click that link in case it turns out to be that green fairy 

Why would Edmunds re-sign with Bills next year if they don’t exercise his 5th year option?  There’s no incentive for him not to go to the highest bidder next year if Bills make him play out his rookie deal without guaranteed money in his 5th year.  Maybe the Bills are OK with that and they’ll use franchise tag on him if he has a great year.  But more likely scenario is he’s same guy this year and then he leaves.  Pats built dynasty trading guys at the exact moment Edmunds is at right now. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why would Edmunds re-sign with Bills next year if they don’t exercise his 5th year option?  There’s no incentive for him not to go to the highest bidder next year if Bills make him play out his rookie deal without guaranteed money in his 5th year.  Maybe the Bills are OK with that and they’ll use franchise tag on him if he has a great year.  But more likely scenario is he’s same guy this year and then he leaves.  Pats built dynasty trading guys at the exact moment Edmunds is at right now. 

Yeah Edmunds will leave and go to a team that will play him in his natural position.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah Edmunds will leave and go to a team that will play him in his natural position.  

And he will probably turn into one of the best at his position in the NFL by doing so

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did he play against Trubisky in the Pro Bowl?

And what about the 2020 season, where fans had no say in things and the players were voted on strictly by NFL players and coaches? Was that Pro Bowl bid invalid, too?

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

And what about the 2020 season, where fans had no say in things and the players were voted on strictly by NFL players and coaches? Was that Pro Bowl bid invalid, too?

Its invalid In terms of whether Beane picks up his 5th year deal or not 

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Its invalid In terms of whether Beane picks up his 5th year deal or not 

The specific discussion to which I was replying is/was about whether or not the Bills play Tremaine Edmunds "out of position". While I know that's a hill that several posters here are willing to die on, it seems quite clear that the Bills brass and coaches simply don't agree. Neither, apparently, do the Pro Bowl voters.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

The specific discussion to which I was replying is/was about whether or not the Bills play Tremaine Edmunds "out of position". While I know that's a hill that several posters here are willing to die on, it seems quite clear that the Bills brass and coaches simply don't agree. Neither, apparently, do the Pro Bowl voters.

There are controversies every year in respect of pro bowl selections / omissions..

I don’t personally think it’s of great value as a point in any player debate...

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

There are controversies every year in respect of pro bowl selections / omissions..

I don’t personally think it’s of great value as a point in any player debate...

Fair.

If I'm ranking "points that are of value in a player debate", though, I'm assigning "accrued Pro Bowl bids" at least as much value as "subjective opinion of message board poster".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yeah, and he’s suffered to the tune of two Pro Bowls in three seasons.

Poor kid.

It seems that the Bills not giving him a 5th year option is seriously being considered.  Despite the Pro Bowls.

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

yea i think you are right on the money here,  think they would love to get a guy like JOK which could spell the end for Edmunds if his play doesn't start to match his salary at the least.

1 minute ago, just1hugheser said:

yea i think you are right on the money here,  think they would love to get a guy like JOK which could spell the end for Edmunds if his play doesn't start to match his salary at the least.

Yeah I love JOK but wouldn't he be way too small for the middle? I think if the Alabama LB Moses lingers around long enough the Bills could ***** him up in the middle rounds....

35 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah I love JOK but wouldn't he be way too small for the middle? I think if the Alabama LB Moses lingers around long enough the Bills could ***** him up in the middle rounds....

He's 6'1"-6'2" 225 so no I don't think he's too small he could easily add 10-20lbs. if a team asked him to play more of a traditional mike/stacked role but thats not why you draft a guy like this.  You draft a guy like this because the NFL is a passing league and you need a guy who has range and wont be a liability in coverage, some of the best middle lb's in the league are right around his size give or take an inch and give or take 10-20lbs, so he's right there size wise.

Lavonte David, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Darius Leonard, Deion Jones, etc. all very close in size.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, just1hugheser said:

And don't forget a new contract for Ertz... That is a bigger sticking point