*Brandon Beane Draft Presser LIVE @ 1:00 PM EST, 4/20/21*

ExWNYer

The most telling comment to me is "we're thinking more long term than short term" at pick 30.

It would seem to indicate that they're not thinking "who's going to push us over the top in 2021", but rather, "who's gonna help us BEYOND this coming year, once we have to start cutting expensive vets to accommodate Allen's extension and the reduced cap".

To me, it opens the door to positions like IOL (Creed Humphrey as a potential long term replacement for Morse), IDL (Barmore or Onwizureke?), a developmental EDGE prospect, even LB. It also doesn't close the door on the already perceived "favorites" at 30, like CB or WR. WR, actually, is a pretty interesting possibility. Sanders is only on a one-year deal and Beasley isn't exactly a spring chicken.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s being calculated and wants someone to trade ahead of him to take etienne so another player falls to him 

Yeah. He's always very calculated and holds his cards close to the vest. Nothing from that presser told me that Etienne is "their guy". That's more people projecting their personal 'want' of Etienne.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel there's a decent chance that the 30th pick ends up being at a position that may have Bills fans scratching their heads a bit, as it's not the most immediate "need" and may already have good veterans at that position. Again, though, the cap being lower than expected next year and the upcoming Allen (and Edmunds?) extension(s) will start to make the cutting of good veterans necessary in favor of cheap labor. Mitch Morse, Star Lotulelei, AJ Klein, Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes....some of the older, more expensive vets on this team may see their replacements drafted this year.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

The most telling comment to me is "we're thinking more long term than short term" at pick 30.

It would seem to indicate that they're not thinking "who's going to push us over the top in 2021", but rather, "who's gonna help us BEYOND this coming year, once we have to start cutting expensive vets to accommodate Allen's extension and the reduced cap".

To me, it opens the door to positions like IOL (Creed Humphrey as a potential long term replacement for Morse), IDL (Barmore or Onwizureke?), a developmental EDGE prospect, even LB. It also doesn't close the door on the already perceived "favorites" at 30, like CB or WR. WR, actually, is a pretty interesting possibility. Sanders is only on a one-year deal and Beasley isn't exactly a spring chicken.

The reduced cap?  TV Extension dollars are going to be kicking in starting after this year and within 5 years the cap is projected to be at $300 million. It makes sense to tie Allen up longterm now because he will be taking up an increasingly small portion of the cap as we move forward.  

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he’s being calculated and wants someone to trade ahead of him to take etienne so another player falls to him 

Hes calculated but can be a straight shooter too. Etienne is a perfect for for us. Would ignite the offense even further

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The reduced cap?  TV Extension dollars are going to be kicking in starting after this year and within 5 years the cap is projected to be at $300 million. It makes sense to tie Allen up longterm now because he will be taking up an increasingly small portion of the cap as we move forward.  

Beane just said in his press conference that he doesn't expect the cap to go up by a huge amount next year. That's what I'm referring to. Also, I believe the TV money doesn't kick in until 2023.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

The talk about planning ahead could be us looking at a replacement for Edmunds as well imo. Add that to the fact they are still thinking about the 5th year options, which you know they're picking up Josh's, and it makes sense. 

• Agree 3

He said that they will decide on the 5th year options for Josh and Edmunds "after the draft". The draft ends May 1st and the deadline to pick up the options is May 3rd. That is a tight window. Nobody realistically thinks there is a decision to be made with Josh. That is a no-brainer and a slam dunk. He probably couched it that way so as not to tick off Edmunds' camp. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsSbSoon said:

Hes calculated but can be a straight shooter too. Etienne is a perfect for for us. Would ignite the offense even further

Both of the RB’s have skill sets that ours don’t possess, so I would think both are in play if they fall to 30.

6 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Both of the RB’s have skill sets that ours don’t possess, so I would think both are in play if they fall to 

For sure i just think etienne gives us more of what we dont have. An explosive home run hitter. Can make the case for either one though.

Edited by BillsSbSoon

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane just said in his press conference that he doesn't expect the cap to go up by a huge amount next year. That's what I'm referring to. Also, I believe the TV money doesn't kick in until 2023.

The ESPN/ABC Monday Night deal kicks in after next year. The other contracts the following year.  

Cap should go up by about 15-20 million next year if not more:

Fortunately, thanks to the new television contracts, things are looking up for the 2022 season and far beyond for everyone involved.

The Athletic’s Lindsay Jones wrote there is a reasonable expectation that the 2022 NFL salary cap climbs to at least $200 million, with the possibility it is set even higher. Additionally, agents believe that the 2023 cap ceiling could skyrocket toward $230 million.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nfl_salary_cap_could_climb_past_200_million_for_2022_season/s1_12680_34412705

In terms of Allen's deal they could easily backload a lot of the dollars so it is less against the cap early on and more once the cap starts skyrocketing in years 3,4 and 5...either way, the cap will increase so much that Allen's deal will look like a huge win for the Bills after a few years.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

For sure i just think etienne gives us more of what we dont have. An explosive home run hitter. Can make the case for either one though.

If he can’t block and he’s a fumbler, he won’t be the pick. Be interesting to see what they decide.

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

If he can’t block and he’s a fumbler, he won’t be the pick. Be interesting to see what they decide.

Both of those things are fixable. At the end of the day id kinda be surprised if beane took a rb in the 1st anyways

23 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I just don’t see him going there at all. He knew exactly what would happen when he said that and it was intentional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just don’t see him going there at all. He knew exactly what would happen when he said that and it was intentional. 

Possibly. I gave doubts beane goes that route too. An explosive home run hitting rb that can catch outs this offense over the top, but theres a good chance both of them are long gone anyways

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Need speed on D O to take on KC.

Fixed it for you.  Skills players and scoring are what win now.   

21 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

We really need for this draft to be over.

It was much worse during the years when Buffalo was bad.  Basically during the 2005-19 drafts.  It's child's play drafting bottom of the 1st coming off an AFC Championship appearance.  

Of course, the board was a lot different about 10 years ago.  Smaller more educated group for the most part.  Not so much anymore.