Excellent argument AGAINST drafting a 1st Round RB

Rigotz

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yet they leaned on the RB position to help them keep KC off the field

Which goes to show even with a bad running game and bad running backs, you can make it work well enough to win the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/offseason-research/teams-are-never-first-round-rb-away

This is a fantastic write-up on why Playoff teams are "never a first round RB away from Super Bowl."

Obviously, very relevant to the Bills and they are specifically mentioned in this article.

This also doesn't consider the draft capital we've already spent on Running Backs recently.

If you're one of the folks clamoring for Najee or Etienne, give this a read.

there is nothing earth shattering here.

in the past de add...

1 teams don’t draft RB in the top 20 picks. The reason you run them for 4-5 yrs and you let them walk replacing them.  You do t use 1sts for this reason.  You use firsts on players you hope to have the next 8-10 yrs.

2 teams are generally RB by committee where each back is different role. One might be a power rusher, other scat/ re river, and other a blocker/ short yardage.  Or you drift 2 similar backs and they are Aand B.

3. OL make the RB better.

It’s perfectly fine to take a RB late in the first round...especially if your current back may be gone in a yr. the 5 yr contract can be a cost saver vs resigning after 3-4 years if you drafted later

buffalo used 3rds in the last 2 drafts on RB. No reason to use a 1st.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Which goes to show even with a bad running game and bad running backs, you can make it work well enough to win the Super Bowl.

The RB position accounts for 30-60% of an NFL team's Offensive plays.  So every team leans heavily on the position, by design.  I feel dumb pointing out how dumb it was to claim it's the least important position on the roster.

The other poster is intermittently conflating "the position of RB" with individual RBs.  This is why he embarrasses himself with his post.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Derrick Henry was a FA, before he was extended by the Titans.  He was of course, the least important guy on that team,.

Why doesn't every team just get a Tom Brady, right?  What's keeping every team from copying this plan??

Rebuke?  You might want to look that word up.

Not in a meaningful way.  

You are right the Titans rode Henry all the way to the AFC wildcard game... oh wait. Lol

Past 8 Super Bowl RBs

Shane Vereen 
C.J. Anderson
Dion Lewis
LeGarette Blount
Sony Michel
Damien Williams
Leonard Fournette

Yeah these guys were/are better than Singletary and Moss. Lol

Rebuke- to criticize. Not seeing a problem here.

15 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

You are right the Titans rode Henry all the way to the AFC wildcard game... oh wait. Lol

Past 8 Super Bowl RBs

Shane Vereen 
C.J. Anderson
Dion Lewis
LeGarette Blount
Sony Michel
Damien Williams
Leonard Fournette

Yeah these guys were/are better than Singletary and Moss. Lol

Rebuke- to criticize. Not seeing a problem here.

I didn't criticize the Brady reference.  You twice listed him as an argument as to why the RB is almost useless.  I twice asked you why every other team hasn't just done what NE did.  What's stopping them??

As I said above, you are conflating the position with individual players.   The obvious point it that, even if your best RB isn't very good, your OC is going to be giving a lot of the Offense to him/them expecting positive results--otherwise, why don't teams with bad RBs just throw on every down?.  That makes it not the least important position on the roster.  You get that right?---when I put it like that?

No?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn't criticize the Brady reference.  You twice listed him as an argument as to why the RB is almost useless.  I twice asked you why every other team hasn't just done what NE did.  What's stopping them??

As I said above, you are conflating the position with individual players.   The obvious point it that, even if your best RB isn't very good, your OC is going to be giving a lot of the Offense to him/them expecting positive results--otherwise, why don't teams with bad RBs just throw on every down?.  That makes it not the least important position on the roster.  You get that right?---when I put it like that?

No?

The Broncos did it -C.J. Anderson
The Eagles-LeGarette Blount
The Chiefs-Damien Williams

Last 3 SB Champs without Brady.

I think the Pittsburgh stats and portions at the end of the article are more indicative of the Bills current situation.  I think you need a good O-line to improve our mid round running back talent with an eye on the balance between pass and run blocking.  I don’t think we want Josh becoming an immobile Big Ben.

17 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

The Broncos did it -C.J. Anderson
The Eagles-LeGarette Blount
The Chiefs-Damien Williams

Last 3 SB Champs without Brady.

That's only 3 SB rings--and 3 teams.  That's not what NE did.

And why do teams that have bad running games ever run the ball at all?  Why hand the ball over repeatedly to the least important player on the roster?

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Good post, but ... he had a whale of postseason on 2018. That always counts in my book. 

My favorite rookie stat combo of his was the 209 carries.........but only 7 receptions!:lol:

As @DCOrange said.........he's the definition of one dimensional............and in that one dimension his career average is just 4.3 yards per carry.......one degree north of the equator.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's only 3 SB rings--and 3 teams.  That's not what NE did.

And why do teams that have bad running games ever run the ball at all?  Why hand the ball over repeatedly to the least important player on the roster?

Least important position. Big difference. Let's be real here. Most teams do a running back by committee and wouldn't be doing this if it was such an important position.

Unless you are a top 5ish back in the NFL(Henry,Kamara etc) your value is about the same as your backup. No other postion is this the case.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Great piece. Calling @BADOLBILZ ...

It does read eerily like a number of posts I've made here...........right down to referencing the 2010 rules changes that really made it a no-doubt-about-it passing league.

Despite the OVERWHELMING evidence that drafting a RB in round 1 is a terrible use of a nice resource...........there will always be those who insist that THIS ONE TIME is the exception.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My favorite rookie stat combo of his was the 209 carries.........but only 7 receptions!:lol:

As @DCOrange said.........he's the definition of one dimensional............and in that one dimension his career average is just 4.3 yards per carry.......one degree north of the equator.

Postseason, dude. The fans of good teams care about that stuff, and rightly so. I am not justifying the pick; just reminding people that the highest level games against the highest level competition actually matter. The fact that people don’t work those stats into their evals is laughable. Not directed at you, btw.

Edited by dave mcbride

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It does read eerily like a number of posts I've made here...........right down to referencing the 2010 rules changes that really made it a no-doubt-about-it passing league.

Despite the OVERWHELMING evidence that drafting a RB in round 1 is a terrible use of a nice resource...........there will always be those who insist that THIS ONE TIME is the exception.

And LOL: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/20/dave-gettleman-prioritized-devontae-booker-thinking-giants-cant-have-too-many-running-backs/

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We went from a sh-t O line in JAs first season, to successful run blocking schemes the 2nd season that our RBs did very well with,  and then on to the start of the 3rd season,  to having Spain getting his head stuck in his azs and quitting on the team, then we had and continued series of starter O line injuries that went on for pretty much the whole season, and the blocking schemes changed during that same period of time, we pretty much never had all our starters playing together at all last season, on top of losing Spain, who was very good the year before, that’s what I’m getting at when I said some folk are ignoring what the root cause of our run game woes actually are..., without good run blocking RBs don’t do well, ya gotta fix what the problem is before you get the results you’re after..., some folk just don’t get this ..., 

Morse is a hit away from Feliciano moving to center and some assembly of Lamp, Ford, Boettger, etc. manning the guard positions.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that we, as fans, really underestimate how long it takes to get back to even close to 100% from significant injuries.  

Exactly. I once sprained my ankle while hailing a cab for Mama Mia. I was out for about a month. It wasn't so bad though. I got a lot of crocheting done and was able to complete my ant farm.