Pro Football Network - Bills and Bucs rumored for DTs at end of round 1

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The Beane-McDermott partnership is more nuanced than a lot of fans realize or can be enlightened to see.  The framework of this team is McD's.  He has a strategy to implement and it is Beane (and staff) who put together the personnel options that support that plan.  There's plenty of discussion leading up to their picks, but ultimately McD is going to get what he wants. 

After all, HC's and their in-game decisions are in the spotlight much more than GMs.  HC's are typically the one fired when things go south.  GM's know this and it's why HC's in many organizations get latitude to make personnel decisions.  

If they go defense in Round 1, it'll be 4 of 6 firsts used on that side of the ball.  And that's without taking a pass-rusher.  There's less value putting more resources into the defense when Josh is the way you win games.      

The above is why, IMO, you have to have systems in place for drafting and not easily stray from them(as so many posters here would do annually for their favorite RB or LB).

You need to realize what you said...........that offense is the better investment..........especially when you have a franchise QB.

I think the system of only selecting key, big money positions in round 1 (QB, pass rusher, LT, CB1, WR1) allows you some room to address the most critical defensive positions before you hit that slippery slope and start selecting 1T DT's and off-ball LB's.     But ultimately, if you have a $40M QB you are going to have to be an offense driven team.

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am personally quite high on Vera-Tucker and his versatility.  Nothing is more important in developing a you g QB than protecting him.  And you can’t fill every hole in one draft, so as a GM you should prioritize the development of that QB.  They are going to likely have a top 15 pick again next year, you can always draft a CB then if you didn’t find one this draft.  

So I think the Jets must invest in making sure they give Wilson the best chance to succeed.  And for me, I think Tucker is too good to pass up at 23, if he’s still on the board even.  Especially with his versatility.

That being said, I definitely fully agree that CB is probably the only other position they look at with the 23rd pick, or at least should be the only other position.  

So won’t surprise me to see them go your route and go DB there and look at OL after.  But, AVT is who I would target based on how the board is expected to fall right now if I was the Jets.  

They can still get protection for wilson 10 picks later.  My point was, looking at the board, imo; they can get a much better combination of OL/CB if they pick the CB @23 and the OL in rd 2.  Protecting Wilson is definitely important.  I just feel that they can get 2 solid 1st rd prospects if they grab the corner 1st.  They probably won’t get a 1st rd CB if they wait til rd 2 imo

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m all for building in the trenches personally in the draft. DL or OL . I know nothing of the kid from Washington. Barmore looked really good in the playoffs, didn’t watch him play otherwise 

Me too Yolo.  Barmore was a one man wrecking crew against Ohio State.  (Made me happy..  Hate the Bucs being a Michigan Man)  Didn't really pay attention to him other then that.  Because watching Alabama last year it was all about their offense.  I would be happy going any position but O line and QB (which we obviously will not draft)  with our first pick.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im secretly praying Alijah Vera-Tucker falls to us at 30 personally.  But I honestly don’t think he makes it past the Jets at 23 as they look to build up the line to protect Wilson snd avoid the mistakes they made not protecting Darnold.

I think he is going to be a beast at the next level and his versatility will be something McBeane will love.  

If he is there at 30, I bet they run the pick in.  

Since I don’t expect him to be there, I’m hoping one of the big 4 at CB slide there, although I unfortunately also think they all more than likely come off the board ahead of our pick too.  

That is the issue of selecting where the Bills are sitting as there is not much of a drop between a lot of the prospects at 30 as there are those available in the mid-late round 2. I would not be surprised if Beane either deals himself up into the upper half of round 1 if there is a prospect he really covets, or deals his 1st for more later round capital.

I would be very surprised if he stayed put at the no-man's land of 30. I have been a vocal advocate of shoring up the trenches, but I do think there will be opportunities in the later rounds to address interior O-line and D-line.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RosieLeaks48 said:

I don't see a DT ... a DE or a CB, yes, but not a DT. They need to get after the QB and they need extra DBs for 4-receiver sets. An article yesterday claimed the Bills are looking at PSU's Oweh. Is anyone thinking > second coming of Aaron Maybin? Workout freak with not much production at PSU. That's a hard pass from me. Give me an edge rusher or speed receiver (Elijah Moore/Rondale Moore) at 30 and then a DB in the second round and I am all good.

Agreed Ruben Kinkaid, now go get a gig for our family band, and move that stupid multi colored bus. 🤪😜

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

As long as it’s BPA I’m good 👍

I definitely see Tampa going this direction. They exercised their 5th year option on Vea, but I see them letting him test the market rather than roll up the Brink's truck next year - they have a lot of players they will want to sign to stay competitive. Getting a serviceable replacement for Vea in this draft would be a logical cap-friendly move.

If Vea does hit the open market, it will be interesting to see what some team will be willing to pay. He is arguably near the top of the league in regards to the NT position, but did have injuries that kept him out of the lineup for most of last season till the stretch run near the end...

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Me too Yolo.  Barmore was a one man wrecking crew against Ohio State.  (Made me happy..  Hate the Bucs being a Michigan Man)  Didn't really pay attention to him other then that.  Because watching Alabama last year it was all about their offense.  I would be happy going any position but O line and QB (which we obviously will not draft)  with our first pick.

Why not OL?  I think some of the best players on the board at 30 will be OL and maybe WR- DE, CB and DT will appear to be reaches (of course, we don’t know how the Bills have guys graded).

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The above is why, IMO, you have to have systems in place for drafting and not easily stray from them(as so many posters here would do annually for their favorite RB or LB).

You need to realize what you said...........that offense is the better investment..........especially when you have a franchise QB.

I think the system of only selecting key, big money positions in round 1 (QB, pass rusher, LT, CB1, WR1) allows you some room to address the most critical defensive positions before you hit that slippery slope and start selecting 1T DT's and off-ball LB's.     But ultimately, if you have a $40M QB you are going to have to be an offense driven team. 

Ironic that today Beane said something about not being able to carry all the big contracts with Josh earning north of 40M per season.  This is a reality Buffalo fans haven't had to experience in a long time.   

At some point the team has to pick a path forward.  With a highly paid franchise QB contract, personnel becomes more built on value and less on balancing the offense with the defense.  You're not taking RBs, DT's, LBs, guards, and safeties and paying them big money or investing high picks in them.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Why not OL?  I think some of the best players on the board at 30 will be OL and maybe WR- DE, CB and DT will appear to be reaches (of course, we don’t know how the Bills have guys graded).

I want an iOL like creed Humphrey so much. Do it Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I want an iOL like creed Humphrey so much. Do it Beane. 

I would not mind Creed at 30.

I think there are very few elite talents in the 1st at positions of need for the Bills without reaching, but there are some really good o-linemen that should be there at 30 and the upper half of the 2nd where the value fits better. Would project as a solid future replacement for Morse.

Aligns with Beane's comments about his draft focus being on the future. The Bills have quite a few players that are nearing the end of their manageable contracts that Beane has to think about replacing.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

They can still get protection for wilson 10 picks later.  My point was, looking at the board, imo; they can get a much better combination of OL/CB if they pick the CB @23 and the OL in rd 2.  Protecting Wilson is definitely important.  I just feel that they can get 2 solid 1st rd prospects if they grab the corner 1st.  They probably won’t get a 1st rd CB if they wait til rd 2 imo

I don't disagree with you, but I also think AVT is that much better than anyone they will get in round 2, so its more to do with how high I am on him than anything.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't disagree with you, but I also think AVT is that much better than anyone they will get in round 2, so its more to do with how high I am on him than anything.

Yeah, I hear ya.  He’s one versatile OLmen.  My thoughts are based on how good I think the OL class is compared to the CBs

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  He’s one versatile OLmen.  My thoughts are based on how good I think the OL class is compared to the CBs

Valid point as well.  But my personal philosophy is take the best player when you are on the clock as you are not sure who will be there when you are next up.  So for me, needing to protect the young QB is top priority and I would take the guy I am the most confident in as a prospect.  That may very well be a CB for them at that pick, just for my humble opinion AVT is my guy. 

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We are in a position where we could draft nearly any position.....that is where Beane has put us.

Best player available

Yup, and thats why he is one of the best GMs in football

• Like (+1) 1

i get a feeling the bills might be really high on a player that mock drafts have rated lower, a 1 tech in particular.

i don't really have any reason why, but given that they didn't do squat to get one in the off season, and mcdermot knows better than anyone how much his D needs lots of quality linemen making plays, i suspect they think they can get one in the draft who will be a keeper.

14 minutes ago, colin said:

i get a feeling the bills might be really high on a player that mock drafts have rated lower, a 1 tech in particular.

i don't really have any reason why, but given that they didn't do squat to get one in the off season, and mcdermot knows better than anyone how much his D needs lots of quality linemen making plays, i suspect they think they can get one in the draft who will be a keeper.

I know why!  https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tampa-bay-buccaneers-buffalo-bills-targeting-defensive-tackles-round-one-2021-nfl-draft/
🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

I've been thinking that the Bills could possibly go with another 3 tech pass rushing DLman. We know Ed Olliver and Harrison Phillips had sick pass rushing numbers in college. Maybe they intend to go Nascar defense. That's the same defense the Giants ran when they beat NE in the Superbowl. Basically, they put 4 DEs on the line and got after Brady. With the big numbers QBs are putting up today, wouldn't surprise me if big fat guys like Star become a thing of the past. Would rather have a 1T who can forklift an offensive tackle right into a QB, but guys like that are incredibly rare.