Pro Football Network - Bills and Bucs rumored for DTs at end of round 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Back up or starting 1 technique. And backup or starting CB 2 are most important needs. Not necessarily in that order. Obviously some think DE is a pressing issue. For me once they kept Addison this position was solidified for 2021. 

We are not drafting a 3 technique 

I agree.  And while I’m still on Team Smokescreen, I’ll play.  The only player I can think of that might go this high and would be a fit for the Bills is Alim McNeill, who is a true 1T.  He’s PFF’s 54th overall prospect with a second round grade.  Notably he’s their second overall IDL behind Barmore. 

McNeil is a line-of-scrimmage resetter on the nose who could make his presence felt as a pass rusher in time.

30 is definitely higher than I’d want to take him, but I can see a needy team taking him earlier than most expect just due to the lack of top end talent at the position in this draft.  I would think that the Bills are unlikely to be that team unless they’ve rated him more highly than that and/or they are doubtful that they will get much out of Star this year and don’t want a replay of 2021 with Oliver at 1T. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Barmore can play either spot. From what @Bill from NYC has said there are some questions about whether he is "process" driven and you see what looks like some inconsistent effort on tape but he is a very talented boy. Onwuzurike is a 3 tech only and that is too rich for my tastes.  

I must admit I'm really leery of Alabama DT's. Barmore is a solid prospect and can play both the 1-Tech and the 3-Tech, but in the NFL I think he would achieve the most success as a 3-Tech or a 5-Tech. He reminds me of Stephon Tuitt who played for Notre Dame about 7-8 years ago and is now a solid player on that Steelers DL. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

In my world:

30 BPA- DE, WR, RB, DB

62 CB (if not taken in round 1)

93 DT ( LSU, NC ST, OH ST)

if a DT is taken in round 3 hopefully the Tex A & M guy or the FLA guy in round 5

I want to drink beer in your world.👍 I am thinking the exact same strategy.

46 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I can't say I have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I want to keep in mind that it's Beane who has built this team and McD who has coached this team to a AFC Championship game. That means, they know what they're doing. The team has made sustainably progressive succession toward winning and remaining a true contender in the AFC through roster construction and great coaching. 

In the drought and torture years, it was easy to pick apart the Bills' strategy and see all of the folly in their ways. But in the current Bills climate and culture, this team has shown a real ability to Draft, develop and recruit FAs to the team that contribute to the overall success. In this way, I trust Beane no matter the selection. Does that mean he doesn't make mistakes? Of course not, every person and GM does make mistakes. But, to presume ANY of us have more knowledge or capability to Draft impactful players at the right spot than Beane and his personnel, is absolutely insane! Beane and his team will put a great Draft together in one respect or another - just think of how much flak he got for the Diggs trade and that seemed to work out pretty well. Beane and his FO are some of the best in the league. Let's relax, enjoy the ride and trust that in the end, the Bills will be improved once the Draft is over. 

I agree.  In fact, I think all draft-related threads should be locked--hell, all threads should be locked--and the mods should just open one big Beane/McDermott Appreciation Thread.  Maybe a Terry and Kim Appreciation, thread, too.  Think how much more work all of us could get done...

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  And while I’m still on Team Smokescreen, I’ll play.  The only player I can think of that might go this high and would be a fit for the Bills is Alim McNeill, who is a true 1T.  He’s PFF’s 54th overall prospect with a second round grade.  Notably he’s their second overall IDL behind Barmore. 

McNeil is a line-of-scrimmage resetter on the nose who could make his presence felt as a pass rusher in time.

30 is definitely higher than I’d want to take him, but I can see a needy team taking him earlier than most expect just due to the lack of top end talent at the position in this draft.  I would think that the Bills are unlikely to be that team unless they’ve rated him more highly than that and/or they are doubtful that they will get much out of Star this year and don’t want a replay of 2021 with Oliver at 1T. 

While my first approach pretty much mirrors Paul Costas, I really do like McNeil. Maybe a scenario of using one of our 5ths, 6th, and 7th to move up in the 2nd round to get him? 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, RosieLeaks48 said:

I don't see a DT ... a DE or a CB, yes, but not a DT. They need to get after the QB and they need extra DBs for 4-receiver sets. An article yesterday claimed the Bills are looking at PSU's Oweh. Is anyone thinking > second coming of Aaron Maybin? Workout freak with not much production at PSU. That's a hard pass from me. Give me an edge rusher or speed receiver (Elijah Moore/Rondale Moore) at 30 and then a DB in the second round and I am all good.

We stand a better chance of WR than CB.

• Like (+1) 1

McNeil makes some sense.  He’s the only 1T with any pocket pushing presence.  I could see him being our first pick if we trade down from 30.  If not then, then a trade up from 61.  I doubt he makes it to 61

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

McNeil makes some sense.  He’s the only 1T with any pocket pushing presence.  I could see him being our first pick if we trade down from 30.  If not then, then a trade up from 61.  I doubt he makes it to 61

Bobby Brown III, Texas A&M. He's the guy I want in the 3rd-5th Round somewhere and he too is a 1-Tech who can push the pocket as well. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Bobby Brown III, Texas A&M. He's the guy I want in the 3rd-5th Round somewhere and he too is a 1-Tech who can push the pocket as well. :thumbsup:

Good call.  I’d love to land him, but there’s no chance, imo, he’s there in rd 5.  We’d have to take him rd 3 if he’s even there.  His athletic upside could take him off the board in rd 3.  Watching his tape, I see a 3T trapped in a 1T body.  Which can be a good thing, but a bad thing if can’t truly anchor 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Fine but that was the #1 pick. Where the Bills are picking who knows how the board will fall. I am sure Beane has a good idea of who he wants and expects to be there at #30 but if teams go off the board then that could change things.  You know how Beane and McDermott are as they are tight lipped about everything. They always appear to be giving a detailed answer in a press conference but in reality they don't say ****.

Beane says a bit more than McDermott if you really listen to him. I don't think he has as good of a poke face as McD so there are things he won't say but what he does say is generally pretty truthful and bears out his real views. McDermott is almost Belichickean, which is also a reflection of their personalities. They are both very professional guys who want to win but Sean is naturally a bit more buttoned up and Brandon is naturally a bit looser. 

56 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree.  In fact, I think all draft-related threads should be locked--hell, all threads should be locked--and the mods should just open one big Beane/McDermott Appreciation Thread.  Maybe a Terry and Kim Appreciation, thread, too.  Think how much more work all of us could get done...

My boss approves this message. 

• Haha (+1) 1

While I think the need is greater at CB and DE, the idea of a DT in that spot is certainly not crazy, if the board does not fall well to them for DBs or edge. The Bills have Oliver and Star, and nothing at all better than serviceable beyond that.  Phillips has been a disappointment and is likely gone after this year.  The need a big year from Star, but he too is not a long term option.  The Bills could be OK in that spot this year, but they need to be thinking about a young stud to bring along.  It is a bigger need than RB or WR in my opinion for that spot.  

I am not enamored with the players projected to be on the board at 30 personally.  But then again, the board never falls close to as projected, so there still could be a great fit for us at 30.  

But assuming there isn’t an obvious pick there, I would say try and trade down with Phi to pick up Ertz.

Bills get:  Zack Ertz and the 37th pick in the draft.

Eagles get:  30th pick in the draft.

We move back 7 spots and land Ertz and rework his deal.  That’s more appealing to me than taking another 3T DT at 30.

Personally I also doubt that happens, and I think we will take BPA per usual and I expect that to likely be a CB or someone on the OL.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not enamored with the players projected to be on the board at 30 personally.  But then again, the board never falls close to as projected, so there still could be a great fit for us at 30.  

But assuming there isn’t an obvious pick there, I would say try and trade down with Phi to pick up Ertz.

We move back 7 spots and land Ertz and rework his deal.  That’s more appealing to me than taking another 3T DT at 30.

Personally I also doubt that happens, and I think we will take BPA per usual and I expect that to likely be a CB or someone on the OL.  

Dont worry, we won’t be drafting a 3T @30.  Nothing to see here

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Barmore can play either spot. From what @Bill from NYC has said there are some questions about whether he is "process" driven and you see what looks like some inconsistent effort on tape but he is a very talented boy. Onwuzurike is a 3 tech only and that is too rich for my tastes. 

Yeah there is a perception that the 1T in the Bills defense is not supposed to make any tackles or plays...........but it isn't the NT position...........the 1T is positioned between the guard and the center which is still an opportunity to shoot gaps and make plays for the right player.     In Lotulelei's first two seasons he had 16 TFL's.........his play simply dropped off which is why he's had 16 in his last 5 seasons combined.   It doesn't have to be a net zero position statistically.    I don't see them using that pick on Barmore though.    They just need a big slug with a decent motor to keep the relative status quo of the past 3 seasons of Bills defense.   That's not worth a high pick or a lot of money.   

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think that is a bit too much for Zach Ertz. Values him at a 3rd round pick. I don't think a 1 year rental of a guy who was hurt last year and will turn 31 during the 2021 season is worth that and I am not particularly in favour of extending him. If they were throwing us a day 3 pick back the other way maybe to reduce the value applied to Ertz by the chart to a 4th.... so their 6th maybe.... that values him at an early 4th rounder... I'd be more up for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good call.  I’d love to land him, but there’s no chance, imo, he’s there in rd 5.  We’d have to take him rd 3 if he’s even there.  His athletic upside could take him off the board in rd 3.  Watching his tape, I see a 3T trapped in a 1T body.  Which can be a good thing, but a bad thing if can’t truly anchor 

I think we'd have to take him in the 3rd tbh. He can anchor though and does it well from what I've seen. I can't recall ever seeing him get blown up either. He's got really nimble feet for a guy who's 6'4" and 325lbs as well. Fingers crossed we turn a card in with his name on it next week. :thumbsup: