Miami considering trading down from 6

I’m convinced it’s (basically) a ruse. Sure, see what’s out there that interest them to trade back (P.T.Barnums words continue to ring true). But imo, they’d be -well, the JETS to not take Florida ‘ TE. Who wouldn’t want a Dynamic Duo 12 pkg??

who, I say WHO?

Especially so, given the glaring weeknesses the ‘rookie Savior’ TuaTonguningaTurtle displayed last season..

Im going with fable. It’s a ruse! 

On 4/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, DCOrange said:

This shouldn't be that complicated. At least one of Pitts, Chase, and Sewell will be available at #6. Just take whoever is there; they're all elite prospects at positions of need.

I hope they just collect draft picks instead of blue chip players. They might actually be good if they had kept Tunsil, Minkah, Landry, drake etc and drafted Herbert. Or even not gone back and forth with the QBs last year. Or not made terrible FA signings last year they already moved on from. Or fire their OC every year.  It’s all mish mash down there.  Draft picks win championships! 

On 4/19/2021 at 9:37 PM, DolFAN93 said:

It isn't too far-fetched. Denver would be a prime trade-down partner which would allow Miami to still get Jaylen Waddle for example.

I'd take these reports with a grain of salt though. Miami is one of the most secretive teams in the league. Reports are only coming out now since everyone believes Atlanta is taking Pitts instead of a QB.

Why would they need Pitts if they already traded for Lee Smith

GIF by Identity

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hope they just collect draft picks instead of blue chip players. They might actually be good if they had kept Tunsil, Minkah, Landry, drake etc and drafted Herbert. Or even not gone back and forth with the QBs last year. Or not made terrible FA signings last year they already moved on from. Or fire their OC every year.  It’s all mish mash down there.  Draft picks win championships! 

Hypothetically, they wouldn't have a chance to draft Herbert if Minkah was retained because they wouldn't get Pittsburgh's 1st. 

Edited by DolFAN93

It’s almost a lock ATL gets Pitts.  Given they feel Ryan still has juice, Pitts is logical.  They need defensive help, but there really isn’t any Lawrence Taylor’s out there.  If Miami thinks they can get the same type of player at 9 or 10, I guess.  

To me it’s liars season.  I trust zero reports out there.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/21/2021 at 6:11 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I’m convinced it’s (basically) a ruse. Sure, see what’s out there that interest them to trade back (P.T.Barnums words continue to ring true). But imo, they’d be -well, the JETS to not take Florida ‘ TE. Who wouldn’t want a Dynamic Duo 12 pkg??

who, I say WHO?

Especially so, given the glaring weeknesses the ‘rookie Savior’ TuaTonguningaTurtle displayed last season..

Im going with fable. It’s a ruse! 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s almost a lock ATL gets Pitts.  Given they feel Ryan still has juice, Pitts is logical.  They need defensive help, but there really isn’t any Lawrence Taylor’s out there.  If Miami thinks they can get the same type of player at 9 or 10, I guess.  

If Pitts is what they wanted and felt he was by far the pick - then the trade down from 3 to 12 and back up to 6 was stupid.  

They were in position to ensure they get Pitts and moved on.

If Atl takes Pitts and the Dolphins slide back - then the trade up early seems ill conceived.

I totally agree this is all about ruses and lies - they are hoping another team moves up ahead of them for a QB - I just don’t see a real move back that helps long term and still gives you a quality player.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:51 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Yes they are, but to be in that position they had to trade back up and gave away a top pick.  If they then trade back down - at least to me - it means the FO got out thought.  

They moved back early to let a team get a QB and moved up early for obviously someone (I think Pitts).  If they don’t get that guy and have to trade down - that is a huge blunder as the guy would of been there at 3.  

They got extra picks, but if it costs them an elite tiered player then they totally botched the draft. The extra picks in the middle or later part of the round help build depth, but the top tiered guys are usually in the top 5.  The Dolphins get lucky with a plethora of QBs - some elite talent will fall to 6, but they need to grab it.

I disagree. IMO there are plenty of situations it would make sense.

Say they have a group of four or five guys they want. Yeah, they'd be guaranteed to get one at #3. But assuming four QBs get picked early, they would be guaranteed to get one of their four guys if they are at eight or one of their five guys if they are at nine.

So if their best situation is picking up Pitts or Chase, but they have two or three others in their next tier, they wait till they're on the clock. If Pitts or Chase are there, they pick. If not they trade back and still get a guy from their second tier and some more picks besides.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I disagree. IMO there are plenty of situations it would make sense.

Say they have a group of four or five guys they want. Yeah, they'd be guaranteed to get one at #3. But assuming four QBs get picked early, they would be guaranteed to get one of their four guys if they are at eight or one of their five guys if they are at nine.

And will have picked up a bunch of picks besides.

That is fine, but then why give back the assets to move to 6 originally.  You got capital and then gave back capital to move back up - now you are looking for Detroit, Denver, or Carolina to move up to ensure you get one of those guys and you have to hope they are doing it for a QB.  

I understood the original 2 moves for that exact reason you mention.  They have 4 guys and now the 1st 3 picks are QBs - 6 is perfect.  You lose out on TE and either OL or 1 of the 2 receivers, but you are left with 2 guys.  

If you move back to 8 or 9 and you lose out on those 2 players - does the extra picks mean as much?  At this point - I would not assume Detroit, Denver, or Carolina are moving for a QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

from what I've been reading, some teams are looking to trade up, trade down or stay where they are.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/dolphins-may-look-to-trade-down-from-no-6/ 

is this front office this clueless lol??? Eventually your going to have to draft someone.

why are you calling the front office clueless based on a rumor you believe?  

• Like (+1) 1

Because it insults our intelligence to even float this rumor.  We’re supposed to believe the Dolphins are now gonna trade back after giving up a 2022 1st rounder to move up to the 6th pick?  The beat writer for the Dolphins gave an interview last year after the draft and admitted the rumors the Dolphins floated last year about drafting one of the offensive tackles wasn’t something he believed but he had to report it anyway.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They couldn’t have traded up for a QB with any other capital? 

They could have but it leaves a bunch of what ifs. Tunsil had to get paid, Landry was getting traded either way, Minkah wasn't down to "tank", Drake was a free agent, etc. Miami would still be replacing those players, even after trading up for Herbert so your original point has some holes.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Because it insults our intelligence to even float this rumor.  We’re supposed to believe the Dolphins are now gonna trade back after giving up a 2022 1st rounder to move up to the 6th pick?  The beat writer for the Dolphins gave an interview last year after the draft and admitted the rumors the Dolphins floated last year about drafting one of the offensive tackles wasn’t something he believed but he had to report it anyway.  

They're clueless for floating rumors around? Smoke screens are something GM Chris Grier has done since he got the job.

That strategy if used correctly can control a draft. What matters is what other teams believe, not writers or fans.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

They're clueless for floating rumors around? Smoke screens are something GM Chris Grier has done since he got the job.

That strategy if used correctly can control a draft. What matters is what other teams believe, not writers or fans.

I didn’t call Grier clueless.  More about wasting his time on spreading nonsensical  rumors.  Chargers were able to sit at 6 and get the best QB in the draft last year.  So if anybody believed the patter Grier was spreading last year about selecting a Tackle at 5, the only thing it did was help the Chargers stay put and still get their guy.  In what world does a rational organization trade a 1st rounder to move up to the 6th pick after trading back from 3 then trade back again?  Grier might as well float the rumor that he’s trading back up to 3 for a QB. Makes as much sense.  

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree.  Believe nothing you hear WRT the draft this time of year.  Lying liars.  All of them.  As for Miami, never hurts to listen to offers and see who gets stupid.  And (again) it might just be smoke anyway.  Or maybe they trade out with a QB needy team and prevent NE from being able to move up for their QB.  I’d be okay with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:28 PM, Devilmann said:

Honestly I’d trade out as well and collect a 1st for next year. This years draft class is kinda iffy to me. As far as Tua is concerned gotta give him some time and give the guy a fair chance. It’s not like Josh looked amazing his first year (yes I know he had garbage around him) and Peyton threw 28 picks his rookie year. 

I agree with you...however the one thing I would say is that Josh Allen had some wow moments and started to also shine down the stretch of his rookie year showing great growth.  Coming out of year 1 the arrow was pointing way up.  

This off-season, Tua doesn’t have that kind of optimism as he didn’t really do enough that made anyone feel like this kid is for sure how he future. 

But like I said, I agree with you, they need to give him time and the a better cast first before anyone starts giving up on the kid.  He has a ton of upside for sure