Miami considering trading down from 6

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Makes total sense to me.

They traded up to #6 targeting Pitts and Chase. They'll likely get one of them, but it's not 100% sure. So if both are gone - again, unlikely - why not give strong consideration to picking up some extra picks if they get a good offer?

As I mentioned earlier, of course they should listen. That’s a given. 

If it’s because they’re uncertain of their current QB, well, they were in best position originally. 

I would add that moving again prior to the draft suggests to me they don’t have a plan. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

As I mentioned earlier, of course they should listen. That’s a given. 

If it’s because they’re uncertain of their current QB, well, they were in best position originally. 

I would add that moving again prior to the draft suggests to me they don’t have a plan. 

Completely.  This is why they have to float nonsensical rumors.  The real action for the 4th QB starts at pick 7 because nobody believes the Dolphins aren’t taking a non-QB at pick 6.  

So where are they going, they went firm 3 to 12 then back to 6, basically giving up all the justification to move back and now they want to go back again? To what? 7-11?  Unless they get lucky and Lance is sitting there and a desperate team comes calling, and gives them more than they gave up to go from 12 to 6, they are idiots.  They SHOULD have stayed at 12 and got the benefit of moving down, but instead they realized they wanted a player they needed to be up the board fir and gave back virtually everything they got to go back up. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

They dont relies they are one of those teams.  Next years class is not nearly as talented as this class.  Eventually, they need differance makers on the football field.  Stock pile all the picks they want if they cant turn them into great players it is a useless exercise.

They picked a QB top 5 last year. You don't know if he's good or not.

Again, if he's terrible, I'm sure they realize that they will have another top pick to go along with several others.

Edited by Rigotz

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It would actually be smart, IMO.

They can trade down pick up another 1st next year and If Tua isn't that guy but that still go .500 or so they have the ability to package some picks to move up and get a QB next season if they think one is there.... or trade for Deshaun assuming his legal issues are behind him by then.

Ummmm then why didn’t they stay at 12 and keep the picks they already had?

3 hours ago, Devilmann said:

Honestly I’d trade out as well and collect a 1st for next year. This years draft class is kinda iffy to me. As far as Tua is concerned gotta give him some time and give the guy a fair chance. It’s not like Josh looked amazing his first year (yes I know he had garbage around him) and Peyton threw 28 picks his rookie year. 

Don't you want to give the weapons for Tua to succeed...You can get Chase or Pitt  and you would make your QB a happy person...

That is what Beane did...surrounded Allen with the talent necessary to succeed.

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently other teams are calling them about the pick...

Doesnt hurt to listen...

i think thats all theyre doing here.  everythings for sale for a price, mind as well fish for the best offer they can, and turn it down if it doesnt make sense

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Didn’t they already do this?

They got two 1st rounders from San Fran by trading back to 12...then they gave one back to Philly by trading up to 6...now they want to trade back again?

They are either severely overthinking things or they are geniuses...Lol

Or they could just be REALLY bored! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently other teams are calling them about the pick...

Doesnt hurt to listen...

Absolutely, a team who wants a specific player, especially a QB will pay a premium, it would be incompetent to not have discussions

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Absolutely, a team who wants a specific player, especially a QB will pay a premium, it would be incompetent to not have discussions

Agreed. A team like Washington or Chicago may be willing to cough up some serious draft capital if a QB they want is there. This is the Dolphins doing what they should, at least entertaining the thought and seeing what they can get in return. 

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Don't you want to give the weapons for Tua to succeed...You can get Chase or Pitt  and you would make your QB a happy person...

That is what Beane did...surrounded Allen with the talent necessary to succeed.

It's also what Whaley did with Manuel FWIW. 

They still don't have much of a run game, and their offensive line isn't noteworthy.  Parker/Fuller/Williams/Bowden isn't bad, and Geisicki is a good player.  I think if the option to move down a few picks and get something else in this particular draft year - could be appealing.  But to state that a WR/TE pass catcher is the biggest need is failing to look at the big picture.  

They currently have 2 coordinators this year so i have no idea how that's going to work for playcalling/QB development, and to me a solid run game is usually the best thing you can have for a young QB.  Then on defense - I'm not sure they're as good as many believe they are.  

So while Chase/Pitts may make some sense and give them another weapon - I'm not sure thats 100% what they need at the moment. 

I don’t really see any issue with the value of the trades the Phins made.  I thought it was a good move actually - IF they are sticking with Tua.  Personally I’d have sat tight and taken Fields at 3, but if that’s not their direction, then the trades make a lot of sense.

They’d obviously worked out both trades together and executed them within minutes of each other.  They slid from 3rd overall to 6th overall and gave up a 4th for a 5th this year and picked up a 2022 3rd and 2023 1st.  And they’ll probably get the same non-QB in the first round this year anyway.  At worst it’ll be a blue chip player who was one of their top 3. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t really see any issue with the value of the trades the Phins made.  I thought it was a good move actually - IF they are sticking with Tua.  Personally I’d have sat tight and taken Fields at 3, but if that’s not their direction, then the trades make a lot of sense.

They’d obviously worked out both trades together and executed them within minutes of each other.  They slid from 3rd overall to 6th overall and gave up a 4th for a 5th this year and picked up a 2022 3rd and 2023 1st.  And they’ll probably get the same non-QB in the first round this year anyway.  At worst it’ll be a blue chip player who was one of their top 3. 

And they're positioned well if someone wants a QB ahead of detroit/denver.  

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly think Miami's rise is "severely" overrated. I don't like what they've done, and I'm not in love with their direction.

For starters, Im not a believer in Tua. Nor was i a fan of throwing Tua in over Fitz.

They keep jettisoning solid players for draft picks, yet the drafting has been so so. Draft picks are great, but you've got to draft players, keep them, and coach them. Let alone build a culture, etc...

The trading back cuteness got the Pats in steady decline. They hit on a few, but missed elite players.  I see similiar stuff happening in Miami.

Pitts is sitting there, a future HOF'er if ive ever seen one. Dont overthink it.

They overthink things and get cute. Much of the talent they've cut, traded, or trimmed would have made them better. Theyve missed on many FAs as well.

Then there is Tua. 

Then there was that righteous pounding, beat down we gave them in January. Not exactly culture building. 

...And Flores sure as hell is no Bill Billicheck.

Edited by RichRiderBills

13 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/dolphins-may-look-to-trade-down-from-no-6/ 

is this front office this clueless lol??? Eventually your going to have to draft someone.

Just typical pre-draft speculation. Depending on who is left at the spot some team will “over pay” them to get there.