Miami considering trading down from 6

I could see them (wanting to) trade down.  The first 3 picks are QB, the Falcons are stuck with Ryan for at least another year and will be looking at the 4th best QB.  So they'll probably take a supposed generational talent at TE in Pitts.  The Bengals might be looking at Chase at WR.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:49 AM, DolFAN93 said:

You're saying this as if Miami lost elite talent lol. There's already players on the team that can fill those roles.

*Godchaux was a rotational DT by the end of last year after getting his snaps taken away by Zach Sieler. They also signed Adam Butler from the Pats-- 15 career sacks vs Godchaux's 3.

*AVG was more productive than Van Noy in less snaps. That veteran presence will be missed but that's about it.

* The beauty of Miami's defense is they don't rely on stars for their DL. As long as you can create pressure (107 career pressures by Butler compared to Godchaux's 48 btw) you can play for Flores. Lawson didn't do it consistently which is why he's gone.

I'm sure they think so. Year after year they are active in FA and have all sorts of moves. I know those are 3 good players. Breida was good too, and they wrote him off too soon. 

Minkah Fitzpatrick was a generational talent. Tunsil was a solid player. They've cut the cord on many good players.

I think they are trading football cards to win in April, more than win in jan-feb. I see this continuing.The proof will be in the pudding. 

I see 2021 as a huge setback year for the fins. I like the Brisset signing, but its not an upgrade from Fitz.

Edited by RichRiderBills

3 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

They're clueless for floating rumors around? Smoke screens are something GM Chris Grier has done since he got the job.

That strategy if used correctly can control a draft. What matters is what other teams believe, not writers or fans.

Yes smokescreens can be used effectively- I believe that is what SF is doing.  Do you really think this ruse is impacting other teams.  They watched them trade from3 to 12 and then immediately trade back up to 6 giving up 1/2 of what they acquired.  

The 2 moves made perfect sense for a team knowing that with SF at 3 they will have a nice selection at 6.  I don’t think them then floating the idea - we may move back from 6 helps them control anything.  Unless they can get 8 to move up for another #1 - the ruse makes no sense because with 4 top non-QBs anything past 8 means you risk losing out.

I actually think they played it fine, but the extra smokescreen is just a waste.

Here's how it might sort of makes sense.  The Dolphins moved back up, wanting either Chase or Pitts, assuming SF takes a QB.  That plan could go awry if ATL takes Pitts and Cinci takes Chase, as they are rumored to do.  That leaves the Phins with Sewell, who is far and a away the best prospect on the board at 6, but they just used two high picks on tackles last year, so they might want to move back to 8 or 9 and take Waddle or Devonta Smith, and pick up maybe an extra second round pick in the process. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Here's how it might sort of makes sense.  The Dolphins moved back up, wanting either Chase or Pitts, assuming SF takes a QB.  That plan could go awry if ATL takes Pitts and Cinci takes Chase, as they are rumored to do.  That leaves the Phins with Sewell, who is far and a away the best prospect on the board at 6, but but they just used two high picks on tackles last year, so they might want to move back to 8 or 9 and take Waddle or Devonta Smith, and pick up maybe an extra second round pick in the process. 

Kind of hard to ignore that they traded a 2022 1st round pick to go from 12 to 6.  Unless they get more than a future 1st to trade back from 6, makes it look like Amateur hour. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kind of hard to ignore that they traded a 2022 1st round pick to go from 12 to 6.  Unless they get more than a future 1st to trade back from 6, makes it look like Amateur hour. 

That's what doesn't make sense. 

They would be hard pressed to break even overall in any trade, unless they are willing to drop WAY down the board, and even then, a first from a good team would be the compensation. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with you...however the one thing I would say is that Josh Allen had some wow moments and started to also shine down the stretch of his rookie year showing great growth.  Coming out of year 1 the arrow was pointing way up.  

This off-season, Tua doesn’t have that kind of optimism as he didn’t really do enough that made anyone feel like this kid is for sure how he future. 

But like I said, I agree with you, they need to give him time and the a better cast first before anyone starts giving up on the kid.  He has a ton of upside for sure 

They had their playoffs on the line and Tua came up short against a QB who had nothing to play for. 

10 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm sure they think so. Year after year they are active in FA and have all sorts of moves. I know those are 3 good players. Breida was good too, and they wrote him off too soon. 

Minkah Fitzpatrick was a generational talent. Tunsil was a solid player. They've cut the cord on many good players.

I think they are trading football cards to win in April, more than win in jan-feb. I see this continuing.The proof will be in the pudding. 

I see 2021 as a huge setback year for the fins. I like the Brisset signing, but its not an upgrade from Fitz.

Minkah a generational talent? He had one good year in Pittsburgh then fell off. Tunsil is a good player as well but a LT doesn't win you games. You also seem to be forgetting that Miami was, still is, rebuilding. Until Tua shows something, whatever they're doing seems to be working so why is it an issue? 

Describe active in free agency. Everyone is active but there seems to be this notion that Miami splurges on big players annually which isn't true. Breida was traded for, it's not like Miami signed him to multi year contract then let him go. I understand what you're attempting to get at but you have no other proof besides what they've done last year. You'd have more credence if this was a cycle but its only been done once lol.

Will Miami be setback because of your feelings about what they do in the offseason or do you have a legit reason as to why they'll do worst than last year?

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, DolFAN93 said:

Minkah a generational talent? He had one good year in Pittsburgh then fell off. Tunsil is a good player as well but a LT doesn't win you games. You also seem to be forgetting that Miami was, still is, rebuilding. Until Tua shows something, whatever they're doing seems to be working so why is it an issue? 

Describe active in free agency. Everyone is active but there seems to be this notion that Miami splurges on big players annually which isn't true. Breida was traded for, it's not like Miami signed him to multi year contract then let him go. I understand what you're attempting to get at but you have no other proof besides what they've done last year. You'd have more credence if this was a cycle but its only been done once lol.

Will Miami be setback because of your feelings about what they do in the offseason or do you have a legit reason as to why they'll do worst than last year?

I flat out don't trust Tua. He was far too comfortable being pulled in games last year when he was ineffective. Does he want to be great? Does he feel like the coaching staff has his back or is he always looking over his shoulder? In that week 17 game in Buffalo, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. Can he lead a team when things arent going well? I have my doubts

What does your offense do well? What is the identity? You have two OCs - how is that going to work?

You have a good defense, that will keep you in some games. But relying on your defense and hoping to get a decent offense leads to 6, 7 win seasons. 

I'd love a rivalry with Miami. I really would, but that week 17 game showed how far Miami is from contending. Playoff lives on the line vs a team with nothing to play for and you lose by 30? Good luck 

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I flat out don't trust Tua. He was far too comfortable being pulled in games last year when he was ineffective. Does he want to be great? Does he feel like the coaching staff has his back or is he always looking over his shoulder? In that week 17 game in Buffalo, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. Can he lead a team when things arent going well? I have my doubts

What does your offense do well? What is the identity? You have two OCs - how is that going to work?

You have a good defense, that will keep you in some games. But relying on your defense and hoping to get a decent offense leads to 6, 7 win seasons. 

I'd love a rivalry with Miami. I really would, but that week 17 game showed how far Miami is from contending. Playoff lives on the line vs a team with nothing to play for and you lose by 30? Good luck 

What did you want Tua to do when he was pulled? He showed the ability here and there throughout the season but the blunders were very obvious. I do think he'll improve as they surround him with talent. There are for sure doubts to have but I'm not pessimistic so I'll just have to see first.

It will be a new offense so we don't know what they do well. Co-OC's is definitely interesting but wasn't my preference. 

We'll just have to see. One game, regardless of whats at stake, doesn't personify a team. A "tanking" Miami team beat NE when they were trying to clinch the #1 seed in 2019 then went on to lose to an even worst NE team 9 months later. Any given Sunday.