NFL's top 25 players not in the Hall of Fame: #24 Steve Tasker

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

If you do a search for best special teamers of all time on google and look at the rankings that show up, many of them list Steve Tasker 1st. Some of them do not, but even when not he is always up there with Ray Guy and Devin Hester.

oh i agree...I meant borederline Hall of fame--due to it being STs.

• 3 months later...

Steve Tasker could take over and dominate a game playing only special teams. That's Hall of Fame worthy IMO.

Next season Devin Hester becomes eligible, I could see them making a case for him based on the same reasoning.

The only difference is he scored the TDs where Tasker caused turnovers which lead to quick and easy scores.

Will the voters treat Hester differently? 

33 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Steve Tasker could take over and dominate a game playing only special teams. That's Hall of Fame worthy IMO.

Next season Devin Hester becomes eligible, I could see them making a case for him based on the same reasoning.

The only difference is he scored the TDs where Tasker caused turnovers which lead to quick and easy scores.

Will the voters treat Hester differently? 

Hester is 11th all-time in kick return yards with half the total that Brian Mitchell has.  His 5 KR TD would place him 5th all time in that category.  

He is 5th all time in Punt return yards but has an astonishing 14 punt returns for TD. That is four more then Eric Metcalf who has 10 and is the only other player with double digit punt return TD total.

All that said, he was a dynamic player but only leads his peers in one career total category.  Therefore along with Tasker he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good but just not HOF worthy.  

On 4/19/2021 at 7:10 PM, Reks Ryan said:

Some great names on that list. 

A couple receivers,  Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt, who definitely should get in.   Just need to wait their turn like Andre Reed and Art Monk did. 

I can't believe Lester Hayes is not in.   Growing up, I remember him making so many big plays in big games.  13 Interceptions in 1 season is crazy.  He was defensive POY that season in 1980.    I was surprised to see that he only played 10 seasons and retired at 31.  Felt like he played as an old veteran. 

2 defenders on that list who I think are on the very good, but not great, list are Zach Thomas and Leroy Butler.  I don't remember either of those guys as game changing dominant players.   

It would be great to see Tasker make it, but doesn't seem like he will.   He's one that might've needed the Bills to win at least 2 of those 4 SB appearances to tip the HOF scale in his favor. 

Agreed about Hayes. But there are others too -- Clay Matthews, Cliff Branch, Ken Riley, Darren Woodson, Joe Jacoby, Jim Marshall -- who absolutely warrant entry given some of the people who have been voted in. I mean, if Lynn Swann is in, how is it that Cliff Branch, a better player, isn't in? People talk about Swann in the postseason, but Branch had 73 catches for 1289 yards in the postseason and has three SB rings. I'm also kinda shocked that Hines Ward isn't in yet. Otis Taylor probably deserves it too, as does Boselli.

59 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hester is 11th all-time in kick return yards with half the total that Brian Mitchell has.  His 5 KR TD would place him 5th all time in that category.  

He is 5th all time in Punt return yards but has an astonishing 14 punt returns for TD. That is four more then Eric Metcalf who has 10 and is the only other player with double digit punt return TD total.

All that said, he was a dynamic player but only leads his peers in one career total category.  Therefore along with Tasker he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good but just not HOF worthy.  

Right. He might be the most hyped return man ever, I agree with you about him.

I'm still banging the table for Tasker if I have a seat. The guy had a knack for big plays, game changing plays. 

Need a blocked kick, Tasker. 

Need a tackle inside the opponents 10, Tasker.

Need an onside kick recovered,

Tasker.

Special teams turnover,

Tasker.

The guy had some great teammates with him during those years no doubt, shout out to Mark Pike, and those special teams were a huge part of the team of the 90s. 

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Right. He might be the most hyped return man ever, I agree with you about him.

I'm still banging the table for Tasker if I have a seat. The guy had a knack for big plays, game changing plays. 

Need a blocked kick, Tasker. 

Need a tackle inside the opponents 10, Tasker.

Need an onside kick recovered,

Tasker.

Special teams turnover,

Tasker.

The guy had some great teammates with him during those years no doubt, shout out to Mark Pike, and those special teams were a huge part of the team of the 90s. 

I'm seriously not taking anything away from Tasker who was great.  In 2020 he most likely would be used like Edelman and Welker was used and catch 80 balls a year from the slot. 

With that said the two most important special teams plays of the SB era team were made by Fred Smerlas blocking the kick against the Jets to help win the AFC East for the first time since 1980 and the miss by Norwood.  

On 4/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Great Bill. Not a HOF player.  If you let him in you really water down the level of player inducted.......stuff

You have an opinion but it seems very short sighted. I assume you think Ray Guy should not be in the Hall? Also....as far as Tasker goes he wasnt just a great player on a great team - he revolutionized how special teams work and even had rules made based on his play. Anyhow, carry on.

• Agree 2

Ace, whereas Id be a little more polite to our friend in Portland, I agree Tasker changed the way 5e game is played on ST, which if you listen to David Baker from the Hall on HOF radio (it’s actually kind of a boring show, but occasionally on a weekend drive), one of the main premises for HOF status is if you helped the game transcend, and for Tasker that’s a yes.

Ethan, you hit the nail on the head, if we were playing today’s game, Tasker would’ve been used as a slot guy like Beasely or Edelman and had significant stats as a WR.  Kelly used to beg Marv, especially in the later years to get more playing time for Tasker as he ran great routes, and was intuitive knowing where Jimbo wanted him (Kelly’s words in interviews, not mine).

I can’t remember the OP for the other thread on first time eligible HOF class next year, but it’s a weak list.  Couple that with we just cleaned out 20 guys from the centennial class.  That should free up a lot more.  I believe this is the first year Tasker is eligible in 2022 for the senior class.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he makes it next year.  Of all the Bills from the last, he’s at the top of my list.  I hope he gets it.  What a fun speech that would be with the rest of the crew on stage.  Maybe Jim would throw him a ball like he did for Andre.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Great Bill. Not a HOF player.  If you let him in you really water down the level of player inducted.  I'm also on record that Levy should not be in the HOF.  I would not have put in Reed either had they not put in Monk, Brown, and Irvin.  All were very good but none were truly HOF level.   Once they let in Monk though then I felt Reed should make after retiring with the career lead in catches.  

I'd be in favor of some special section for special teamers that recognizes their contribution.  There are a number of return guys, gunners, punters, and kickers that all had great careers - almost none of which belong in the HOF.  

Jesus, you’re Impossible! Please take your act to  the Seahags boards and leave us alone. 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Great Bill. Not a HOF player.  If you let him in you really water down the level of player inducted.  I'm also on record that Levy should not be in the HOF.  I would not have put in Reed either had they not put in Monk, Brown, and Irvin.  All were very good but none were truly HOF level.   Once they let in Monk though then I felt Reed should make after retiring with the career lead in catches.  

I'd be in favor of some special section for special teamers that recognizes their contribution.  There are a number of return guys, gunners, punters, and kickers that all had great careers - almost none of which belong in the HOF.  

But Ray Guy is OK? Tasker changed the way Special Teams was played and the importance coaches put on it. His impacts have been far reaching and long lasting.

When you literally change the way the game is played I think that you deserve to be in.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

This is Tasker's last year of regular eligibility to get into the HOF. Then it will be just Seniors Committee.

Thanks bud.  I thought it was 22 he was at the senior mark.  I defer to great opponent of Bruce Lee, the Dragon.  BTW- not a big karate movie guy, but that one was a cult classic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks bud.  I thought it was 22 he was at the senior mark.  I defer to great opponent of Bruce Lee, the Dragon.  BTW- not a big karate movie guy, but that one was a cult classic.

Haha...hey thanks! Chong Li was a bad mother f'er; me, OTOH, not so much. 😃 [Oh, and I wasn't trying to call you out...I had posted as soon as I read the original post, without reading the rest of the thread first!] I also agree with your opinions on Tasker. I think his best chance is when the Senior Committee takes a look, though I am skeptical they will vote to approve. Let's hope they eventually do.

Edited by chongli
  • Agree 1

I think it matters how you view HOF players.  Do you solely look at stats or is it a reflection of impact players of their time?  If it's stats, I agree with you on some of the players you mention.  If it's a question of impact players, then I believe Tasker should be in.  If special teams is one third of the game and his name is synonymous with them, then he should eventually get in.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think it matters how you view HOF players.  Do you solely look at stats or is it a reflection of impact players of their time?  If it's stats, I agree with you on some of the players you mention.  If it's a question of impact players, then I believe Tasker should be in.  If special teams is one third of the game and his name is synonymous with them, then he should eventually get in.

How many games can we honestly say the Bills won because of something Steve Tasker did on Special Teams?

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How many games can we honestly say the Bills won because of something Steve Tasker did on Special Teams?

That’s a good point.  But also, what percentage of games overall are won on special teams.  I think wins contribution is in the statistical category.  

If you were to build a HOF team and had to fill a complete roster, would Tasker earn a spot for special teams?  I would say yes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1