NFL's top 25 players not in the Hall of Fame: #24 Steve Tasker

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-top-25-players-not-in-the-hall-of-fame-cliff-branch-tony-boselli-roger-craig-headline-all-time-list/

24. WR Steve Tasker

Teams: Oilers (1985-86); Bills (1986-97)

One of the greatest special teams players in NFL history, Tasker earned seven Pro Bowl nods from 1987-95. During that span, Tasker helped the Bills become the first franchise to appear in four consecutive Super Bowls. Tasker's brilliance was on display during the opening minutes of Super Bowl XXVII. With the Cowboys punting from their own 16-yard line, Tasker was lined up against linebacker Robert Jones, a rookie who filled in for an injured starter. Jones didn't have a chance against Tasker, who beat Jones on an inside move before blocking Mike Saxon's punt. Tasker's play set up the game's first touchdown. 

Agree completely. Looked for video but could not find one.

One of few times I like it when writer lists players in opposite order since many readers will not read entire list.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-02-01-ss-1026-story.html

SUPER BOWL XXVII : Bills Can’t Finish What Tasker Starts : Buffalo: He blocks punt that leads to 7-0 lead, but things go downhill from there.

The Buffalo offense was unable to sustain a drive on its first possession, but the Bills’ defense stopped Dallas on three plays and forced a punt.

With the ball at their 16-yard line, the Cowboys went into punt formation.

That set the stage for Tasker, who earned his third consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl this season for his special teams play.

As Buffalo overloaded the right side of the Cowboys’ front line, Tasker lined up to the left of center Dale Hellestrae. On the snap, Tasker sneaked inside a block by linebacker Robert Jones and broke free to deflect Mike Saxon’s punt.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/every-nfl-teams-best-player-who-is-not-enshrined-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame-yet/

Buffalo Bills - Steve Tasker, WR

One of the greatest special teams players in NFL history, Tasker earned seven Pro Bowl nods from 1987-95. During that span, Tasker helped the Bills become the first franchise appear in four consecutive Super Bowls. Tasker's brilliance was on display during the opening minutes of Super Bowl XXVII. With the Cowboys punting from their own 16 yard line, Tasker was lined up against linebacker Robert Jones, a rookie who filled in for an injured starter. Jones didn't have a chance against Tasker, who beat Jones on an inside move before blocking Mike Saxon's punt. Tasker's play set up the game's first touchdown. 

Great Bill. Not a HOF player.  If you let him in you really water down the level of player inducted.  I'm also on record that Levy should not be in the HOF.  I would not have put in Reed either had they not put in Monk, Brown, and Irvin.  All were very good but none were truly HOF level.   Once they let in Monk though then I felt Reed should make after retiring with the career lead in catches.  

I'd be in favor of some special section for special teamers that recognizes their contribution.  There are a number of return guys, gunners, punters, and kickers that all had great careers - almost none of which belong in the HOF.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 8

I originally thought this was the state of Florida. Somehow I remembered Emmitt Smith is from Florida and was like....bro.....

Also the Bosa's. But they are still playing. I can't think of anybody else. 

• Punching Bag changed the title to NFL's top 25 players not in the Hall of Fame: #24 Steve Tasker
2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Great Bill. Not a HOF player.  If you let him in you really water down the level of player inducted.  I'm also on record that Levy should not be in the HOF.  I would not have put in Reed either had they not put in Monk, Brown, and Irvin.  All were very good but none were truly HOF level.   Once they let in Monk though then I felt Reed should make after retiring with the career lead in catches.  

I'd be in favor of some special section for special teamers that recognizes their contribution.  There are a number of return guys, gunners, punters, and kickers that all had great careers - almost none of which belong in the HOF.  

Tasker has been a finalist many times, and has been a nominee many more times than that. So the people who make the decisions disagree with you. They think he is at least a borderline hall of famer.

To me, he changed the way special teams was played, brought prestige to special teams outside of returning, and helped solidify roster building to include special teams considerations. He had an impact on the history of the game. Many modern day special teamers including most of the great ones from the past few decades, revere him and there are countless people, many of them not even Bills fans, who believe he should be in the hall of fame.

So, I respect your opinion, but I disagree, and there is a very large contingent of NFL fans, media, journalists, players, and coaches who think he should be in the hall of fame.

In fact, I would have probably put Tasker in before Andre Reed. Because Tasker's contribution is more unique and he was the best at his job in the NFL for most of his career, and many consider him the best at his job ever in the history of the game.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Tasker has been a finalist many times, and has been a nominee many more times than that. So the people who make the decisions disagree with you. They think he is at least a borderline hall of famer.

To me, he changed the way special teams was played, brought prestige to special teams outside of returning, and helped solidify roster building to include special teams considerations. He had an impact on the history of the game. Many modern day special teamers including most of the great ones from the past few decades, revere him and there are countless people, many of them not even Bills fans, who believe he should be in the hall of fame.

So, I respect your opinion, but I disagree, and there is a very large contingent of NFL fans, media, journalists, players, and coaches who think he should be in the hall of fame.

In fact, I would have probably put Tasker in before Andre Reed. Because Tasker's contribution is more unique and he was the best at his job in the NFL for most of his career, and many consider him the best at his job ever in the history of the game.

He wasn't voted in so I would say they agree with me.

There are lots of borderline HOF players. He is one of them because of the unique impact he had on the game.  Nothing wrong with being known as a borderline HOF player. If you keep letting in borderline players like Terrell Davis and Lynn Swann you get the Hall of the Very Good, not the truly exceptional. 

For the record, I also don't agree with the narrative that special teams are 1/3rd of the team. It's not even close even when you include the kicker.

But I do agree with you, Tasker may be the best ever for his role on the team.

Some great names on that list. 

A couple receivers,  Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt, who definitely should get in.   Just need to wait their turn like Andre Reed and Art Monk did. 

I can't believe Lester Hayes is not in.   Growing up, I remember him making so many big plays in big games.  13 Interceptions in 1 season is crazy.  He was defensive POY that season in 1980.    I was surprised to see that he only played 10 seasons and retired at 31.  Felt like he played as an old veteran. 

2 defenders on that list who I think are on the very good, but not great, list are Zach Thomas and Leroy Butler.  I don't remember either of those guys as game changing dominant players.   

It would be great to see Tasker make it, but doesn't seem like he will.   He's one that might've needed the Bills to win at least 2 of those 4 SB appearances to tip the HOF scale in his favor. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why is Jim Marshall not in? Lester Hayes should be in too.

Torry Holt & Reggie Wayne will have their day. I believe that Steve Tasker will get in.

Steve McMichael, Roger Craig & Zach Thomas have no business being on this list.

Henry Ellard should be on the list. He played on some bad Rams teams, but he was a phenomenal wide receiver pre-greatest show on turf.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think Tasker has a long uphill climb to get in and my guess is that he never will. ST’s with rules changes are being deemphasized in the modern NFL. I just don’t see him getting there.  

Other than kickoffs, including onside kicks, what ST rules have been changed? Tasker excelled on all STs in a variety of roles. I get that STs aren’t considered a big enough part of the game (until a ST screwup costs or wins you a game), but when a player redefines a position in the game, it’s worth consideration imo. And Tasker did that. 

Tasker not being in the HOF pretty much proves that the NFL and HOF voters do not consider STs as an important part of any team. They treat  STs like the red headed step child of pro football. 

10 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Tasker may be the greatest STer of all time. Borderline.

If you do a search for best special teamers of all time on google and look at the rankings that show up, many of them list Steve Tasker 1st. Some of them do not, but even when not he is always up there with Ray Guy and Devin Hester.